• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Need help replacing driver side garnish

Has anyone replaced driver side garnish? (Thick, padded material behind fuel door lever). Trying to have mine replaced with new ones but can't figure out how to remove the fuel latch lever. I need to take this tab off before I can slide the new one in. Any tips?

I'm pushing pretty hard- afraid the lever might come off. Does it just slide off or is there a clip that fastens it on to the metal lever?

favetita said:
I'm pushing pretty hard- afraid the lever might come off. Does it just slide off or is there a clip that fastens it on to the metal lever?

Mine had a C clip. It was hard to get to since there is little room, but I just took a very small flat head screwdriver and slid the clip off. The clip is more like a horse shoe shape.

Thanks Chris. I'll try it tonight when I get home. The garnish itself I just pry and wiggle off? Is there a particular way to do it so I don't damage the clips
under the garnish? I appreciate your input.

ChrisK said:
Mine had a C clip. It was hard to get to since there is little room, but I just took a very small flat head screwdriver and slid the clip off. The clip is more like a horse shoe shape.
Chris - I think you're confusing it with the rear hatch lever which does have a clip - the gas lever has none however, just a push fit.

See diagram below - notice item 1 "opener knob" for gas lever (in red circle) - just slide fit onto a flat shaft (ignore the screw, that's to secure the side sill trim which you won't get to (or need to) until the side sill pad is removed; item 5 "release handle" for the hatch (in purple circle) does indeed have the circlip - this is on a round shaft.

If it is so tight you cant just pry it off with your fingers, you could try leveraging item 1 with a screwdriver or maybe a pair of needle nose pliers with the jaws slightly open, against the rear part of the sill fixture.

Attachments

• releaseknob.JPG
    releaseknob.JPG
    34.6 KB · Views: 118
Last edited:
Thanks for the diagram D'Ecosse. The fuel lever tab was on so tight it felt clipped onto the metal. I'll give your suggestion a try. I was concerned I might ruin the tab if I pushed too hard.

Back