• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Need info on passenger side airbag disabling for car seat

1993 nsx
Since warmer weather are approaching and I'd like to take my son (little over 2yrs old) on short drive every now and then.
My question is how can i safely disable the passenger side airbag without triggering the SRS dash light?
If the srs light is tripped, would it need to be reset? How involve would that be?

Ive read multiple old thread about this topic but they are very outdated. There was one that suggest using a 4ohm resistor after unplugging the airbag. This will keep the SRS light off. Well, i did that and the result was not good.

Of course i had remove the negative battery terminal prior to doing all this. Left it unhook for over an hour before i started. Was busy doing something else.

End result was the green TCS flashes everytime you gave it a little gas. It would also bog down. It would idle fine but it would act like there i no power. Glad i was in the garage and not on the road.
Removed the resistor, plug the airbag back in and everything is back to normal.

So that resistor trick did not work for me, ive attached photo of the resistor. Im not sure if i had purchased the correct resistor??

Any suggestions is appreciated.

Attachments

• 20200329_181636.jpg
    20200329_181636.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 67
  • 20200329_181743.jpg
    20200329_181743.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 61
Yes it does. Thank you.
To some extend. I guess i am looking for an easier solution. I suppose the proper way would do what ANYTIME had done and go through the process of getting it approve for installing a switch.

It's great that you want to take your kid out in the NSX every now and then but honestly a little over two years old is too young IMO. I respect your decision as a parent but just want to point out:

"[FONT=&quot]the AAP recommends children remain in a rear-facing car safety seat as long as possible, until they reach the highest weight or height allowed by their seat. Previously, the AAP specified children should remain rear-facing at least to age 2; the new recommendation removes the specific age milestone."[/FONT]

https://www.aap.org/en-us/about-the...ecommendations-on-Car-Seats-for-Children.aspx

My son just turned 7 and I still haven't taken out in the NSX yet. He doesn't even ride in my 95 M3 because the older cars in general aren't as safe as newer vehicles. I understand that I may be on the extreme side but that's just my personal preference as a parent.

Best Wishes

I think i may reconsider taking him out in the nsx. It wouldnt be worth it if anything would to happen.

Thank you all.

Wise choice. At age 2+ he is almost certainly too small to be restrained by the front seat belt even with a booster seat and in the event of a front end collision would likely submarine under the belt. Aside from the seat belt fit issue, you may find that local laws preclude the use of a booster seat if he does not meet the minimum height and weight requirements for using a booster seat.

>End result was the green TCS flashes everytime you gave it a little gas. It would also bog down.
>It would idle fine but it would act like there i no power.
>Removed the resistor, plug the airbag back in and everything is back to normal.

You have a red herring somewhere. The TCS and SRS are not connected in such a manner.

You have been able to replicate the ("resistor in" and TCS engages), and ("resistor out" and TCS is normal) while touching nothing else?

The SRS system only recognizes the existence of the bag via the resistance, so it should not matter to the SRS or the TCS.

I was too scare to mess with it. The car started normal prior to installing the resistor. Then started and rev normal after removal of the resistor. So, i dont know. I did unhook the battery each time before placing or removing of the resistor.
Nothing else was change. Would it matter which direction the resistor face? Or flow?

Also, while the resistor in, i turn the tcs off and the result was the same. Does not matter if the tcs was on or off(tcs off indicator lit up). It still flashes with blipping the throttle. At time i would blip it a little longer and it sounds like the car was bogging.

Here is a short clip of what it did.
https://youtu.be/abBeS9wMzA0

Last edited:
I am pretty sure your TCS is unrelated to the resistor.

Otherwise, you are doing it correctly, fear is just the unknown.

Try again with the resistor, but leave the car otherwise apart and take a drive. Resistors work either way without issue. I cannot determine the color bands of your resistor, but the system is pretty lenient on the quantity of Ohms required. I've used from 4-10 Ohms without issue.

The problem I had was reliably attaching the resistor to the contacts. I solved the problem by clipping a connecter off an airbag (preferably a deployed to be nice) at a junkyard....but the correct bags are hard to find nowadays.

Ok. I will give it another try just to test.
The color of the resistor are.
Green, amber(orange), black, grey(silver), and brown.

Went back and tried it again since i had the glovebox already apart. This time everything is fine.
There must be a glitch somewhere that, coincidently, came on at the sametime.
So the resistor does work to keep the srs light off. The flashing tcs went away also. Back to normal now. I dont know what went wrong.

Thanks again

Last edited:
Good choice, time goes quick, before you know it he will be asking for the keys:wink:

Based upon your description, that color code is for a 5.3 or 5.4 ohm (depends on whether its orange or yellow) 1% resistor. Should do the trick.

Your engine problem following your first test appears to be due to the fact that the TCS had become active. Why the TCS became active is a separate question. As Drew notes, there is no direct interconnection between the SRS and TCS. Perhaps you disturbed the TCS wiring while fiddling with the SRS. When you disconnected the battery, you erased any stored error codes in the TCS. After you have driven the car for a bit, I suggest using the SCS to see if there are any stored codes in the TCS. It might give you any idea an idea as to where / what the problem is.

Thank you for the suggestions on the tcs and scs. I will druve some and take a look at it again.
The color look more orange then yellow on the resistor.

Back