• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Need Job transition advice

Hello:

Just Need Advice from this wise group. TIA:

I current work for a company in which I have no complaint about other than slightly below Market value salary. If I stay for another 3-4 year I may head up the department I work in.

Work atmosphere is pretty relaxing. Average employees been there for 8-9 years. I've been there for 4 years now get about a 7% raise a year. My Bosses likes me and only a few that i works with hates me. Pretty secure position. No worries on lay offs. All Good.

The twister:

There is a Strong Possibility that I may get an offer from another company to replace someone for 25% more pay. However In this company I almost certain I may not be the head of department in the future. Salary based, No more Overtime. Of course New position will have a lot of insecurities.

I dont have reasons to leave other than the pay raise.
of course in the interview is alway consider as "seeking growth in my area of expertise in a team enviroment in which I can contirbute and learn from my peers" :confused:

What would you do? Hit up supervisor and personnel to match / counter offer? If so How do you go about it? I'm up for another review/raise in a few months anyways.

At your current position with 7% raises per year (which is excellent BTW), you will match the potential job offer at about 25%. Correct?

You have to go with your gut feeling, personally I would stay at the current job at which you are happy.

I would definitely stay, 25% is only three years at 7% increase... and in the fourth year you would get management bonus if you get the Dept. Head position, right? :D

And what is better than "relaxing & no worries on layoff" these days? :)

I've been in the same position as you before and discovered it was a mistake leaving a known good position for another position for the raise. I didn't foresee the problems I would have in the new position. Things were good enough in the old position and I probably should have stayed there. But now we re-orged so it's all good again! :)

You might want to discuss this with your manager though about the potential offer and how you are considering it. It could get you another raise. But 7% yearly raises are much higher than the norm, I don't know how much longer your company can sustain that.

SilverOne said:
sorry, 7% annual raise is considered good?

I've thought 10-15% is avg.., ?
Most raises don't keep up with the cost of living. Most employers don't give COLAs anymore either. Typically raises average in the 3-5% range. So 7% is considered good. 10-15% is considered extraordinary!! If you are getting this consider yourself very very lucky.

Last edited:
I'd stay where you're at. Sounds to me like you'll be where you want to be in 3-5 years. Besides, at your current job, you KNOW what you have and where you can go. The new company is an unknown. I'd give my right one for a 7% per year pay increase!!!!

7% increase per year is really a lot, at least in Europe!

We used to get that in 1999-2002, when the TelCo market explosed. The last three years it was in the 3% range... and many people in the IT didn't get even that. :(

It all depends....

Are you bored at the current job? Are you doing the same thing over and you need a new challenge in life?

Awhile back, I took a 25% pay cut to leave my current job due to stress. After 2 months of the new job, they increased my salary 25% after they realize how much I contributed to the new company within a short period of time. After the company sold it to AOL, the previous company asked me to come back with a bigger salary.

So, the question is...are you happy? If not, then leave. If so, then stay. You might find yourself miserable in the new company...

Thanks for the input. This is really helping me see more angles.

fkong777 said:
Hello:

Just Need Advice from this wise group. TIA:
my 2 cents follow:

I current work for a company in which I have no complaint about other than slightly below Market value salary.
gotcha

If I stay for another 3-4 year I may head up the department I work in.
and does this appeal to you? if so, it's a check mark in the + column; if it doesn't appeal to you, it's of little value (at this point in time)

Work atmosphere is pretty relaxing. Average employees been there for 8-9 years. I've been there for 4 years now get about a 7% raise a year. My Bosses likes me and only a few that i works with hates me. Pretty secure position. No worries on lay offs. All Good.
yup, in general, sounds good.

The twister:

There is a Strong Possibility that I may get an offer from another company to replace someone for 25% more pay.
i'm curious:

* how does this other company know you well enough to make you a +25% offer?

* *why* is this other company offering you a +25% gig? experience, job prowess, competitive knowledge/positioning/advantage?

However In this company I almost certain I may not be the head of department in the future. Salary based, No more Overtime. Of course New position will have a lot of insecurities.
truth be told, in today's work environment, few jobs are as secure as many would believe them to be - we're **all** replaceable.

I dont have reasons to leave other than the pay raise.
all things being equal, i've found that more money is a good thing.

of course in the interview is alway consider as "seeking growth in my area of expertise in a team enviroment in which I can contirbute and learn from my peers" :confused:
join the "confusion club" - we all deal with it from time to time.

What would you do?
depends on my relationship with my manager.

Hit up supervisor and personnel to match / counter offer?
among the things i'd do would be to:

* evaluate where the potential new employer fit in the market i worked in and the (assumed) benefits i would receive by working for them

* likewise against my current employer

* complete an honest self-assement of my contributions to my current employer, +/-, and identify the *value* of them to the company

hopefully, at that point, i'd have a reasonably good assessment of the issues/benefits/potential negatives.

next, iwait until you have the new offer in hand and give it some good, hard, thought as to how you really feel about it.

when you reach that conclusion, if you feel it's a very good offer and you're attracted to the new company for a long term gig, you owe it to yourself and your manager to have a heart to heart with him/her, tell them what you've said here (and likely LOTS MORE) and see if you can reach a conclusion that works best for you.

(fwiw, i've always valued the environment, people, ability to fully apply and stretch myself much more than immediate $'s; when you find the *right* gig, you'll know it and a few $'s here or there will seem paltry compared to the overall value and reward of being where you want to be)

good luck with it, career decisions like this are often very challenging.

Back