• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Need some verification.

Hello my fellow primers.

I'm new to Prime but not to the NSX. Been following the car for nearly 15yrs. Finally decided its time to live my last hoo-rah before marriage and kids. That being said, I found a nice 92. Immediately, my initial concern was the snap ring being replaced. Questioned the seller about it and he said this car wasn't in snap range. Had him take a pic of the tranny number, sure enough it's in range according to the tranny range posted on Prime's website. The tranny number is J4A4-1004440. Again, questioned the seller about it and he encouraged me to post my concern on Prime to get the NSX communities feedback.

My initial email to the seller:

Thank you for sending me a picture of the transmission number. This is extremely helpful.

Just to verify; I show the number is J4A4-1004440. Assuming this number is correct NSX Prime indicates this transmission is within range of Snap Ring failure. Their website states that transmission numbers ranging from #3542-5978 are affected. I'm curious to find out who told you the transmission wasn't within the range of snap ring failure. Would you mind sharing?

His response:
"Between dealers , pro shops and other NSX'ers its not.Put it on the site and see what they say

Prime states that transmission numbers ranging from #3542-5978 are affected.

Interested in your thoughts fellow primers. I do like the car, seems to been well cared for. If within range; does anyone know if any Acura dealer in the PAC NW will "goodwill" the repair?

If you can not find a goodwill (doubt) then i'd either have the seller drop the price for the difference in repairs or pass and find one already repaired with documentation or ultimately just keep searching.

In your opinion; what do you feel the cost involved would be to repair the snap ring? Honestly; from speaking with a few other Primers, nobody takes their NSX to the local Acura dealer where I live.

Thank you for your feedback synergy004.

I believe the range only indicates the possibility of the defect. Not every transmission in that range will have the defect. That could explain the discrepancy. Personally I would err on the side of caution unless I had a trusted mechanic actually inspect the transmission.

My NSX was in the snap ring range and it failed at 40 k miles.
I'll likely be shouted down for this but if an NSX is in the snap ring range, but has reached say 75 k miles, I'd suggest it's not an issue any more.

Back