• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Needing Brake Pads and Rotors for 1991

I am noticing small cracks in all 4 rotors of my 1991 NSX. Can not wipe clean with brake cleaner nor can I feel the crack with a finger nail very weird.

Would like to buy something similar to OEM maybe a touch better, I do not track car, just spirited driving on the streets.
Something reasonable priced not looking for brembos, stop tech etc.

Looking to replace with all 4 braided lines, pads, and rotors for around 500-600. Any recommendations?

I am noticing small cracks in all 4 rotors of my 1991 NSX. Can not wipe clean with brake cleaner nor can I feel the crack with a finger nail very weird.

Would like to buy something similar to OEM maybe a touch better, I do not track car, just spirited driving on the streets.
Something reasonable priced not looking for brembos, stop tech etc.

Looking to replace with all 4 braided lines, pads, and rotors for around 500-600. Any recommendations?
Get the Centric rotor blanks. They are like $50 each. I track on these rotors and they are fantastic. Brake pads are a tricky issue, since a lot of it is personal feel. Kaz, for example, puts many of his NSX customers on the EBC Red, which he really likes as a general use pad. Obviously that is high praise, considering the source.

If you search a bit, you'll see that I am a big fan of the Project Mu pad lines. For a street NSX, the Type NS pad is phenomenal and is my go-to. Low dust too.

A lot of people like the Hawk HPS, but I hated them. The cold bite is noticeably worse than stock. But, I guess they are very low dust if that matters to you.

There is also the Carbotech 1521 pad, which is low dust and ceramic, which means it runs clean. CT pads are quite rotor friendly too.

As soon as i got my car I had to change my brakes ASAP. While doing some looking around here I found some conversation on GLOC pads
It was a little tricky bedding them in as I drove home from the shop but they are awesome. No noise and excellent feel on the street.
I went with these rotors because I got a great deal, I am sure there are others that work just as well as Honcho mentioned

GLOC are also good, as are Performance Friction. @stuntman is a fan of the PF for street/track use.

On brake lines, I use the stainless steel braided ones from Techna-Fit. You can get them on Ebay. These are vinyl-coated (I use clear vinyl so I can check the condition of the steel braids) and I used them for years on my 91 with good results. Goodridge also makes a very nice set for the NSX.

I haven't run the EBC reds but I have run the greens on my daily and yellows on an auto-x car and loved them both. I also am not a fan of the Hawk HPS.

I haven't run the EBC reds but I have run the greens on my daily and yellows on an auto-x car and loved them both. I also am not a fan of the Hawk HPS.
I have EBC reds, and I think they're good on the street and OK on the track. Although they are "low dust", you may be surprised how much more dust they generate than OEM pads. Personally, I'd stick with OEM pads for 100% street driving. They work well, no dust, and practically last forever.

If your rubber lines are old, you may be surprised how much of an improvement you get just from going to new stainless lines.

Seems like a lot of good recommendations here.

I have run the Stoptech Sport pads and like them very much. Great street pad with minimal dusting and no squeal. Will stand up to a fairly high level of abuse.

The Stoptech slotted rotors would complete the job. I would not even consider drilled rotors.

I run the EBC Green on my F-150 and find them to be phenomenal. Towing 5,000 lbs at 65 mph on 7% grades and not even the slightest indication of fade (where the Ford pads would be smoking and spongy). Really amazing pads. I'm putting them on my wife's Explorer.

Back