• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

New 1996 NSX Build

shawn110975

Suspended
Ok guys a buddy of mine had an accident. Dont worry he is fine no injurys.
He is a prime member that wants to remain anonymous for the time being but is allowing me to do a build thread to document the repair process.

He has followed my Builds and asked me to bring his NSX back to her former glory, Since I have a passion for this car I told him I will take on the long task.

This NSX arrived today right before sundown so I only have a few pics
but I will start on her tomorrow with more pics.

I just want to say that I have been thinking about starting a shop of my own here in Tampa.

So this is my First real repair build for a customer. I am excited to have a new project and yet another NSX in my Driveway.

This NSX will be back on the road in no time.

so enjoy the new adventure

yeah thats me in the green shirt LOL

Last edited:
2012-05-19_20-01-53_238.jpg

2012-05-19_20-02-03_191.jpg

2012-05-19_20-02-12_942.jpg

2012-05-19_20-02-20_377.jpg

2012-05-19_20-00-59_311.jpg

2012-05-19_20-01-09_918.jpg

Last edited:
I just want to say that I have been thinking about starting a shop of my own here in Tampa.

So this is my First real repair build for a customer.

That's really exciting. Accidents suck, but when they do happen it's nice to know that there are experienced, passionate people out there who can help :smile:

yeah my father always says
" Shawn has a perfect driving record........... he has wrecked every car he has ever owned "

knock on wood, I have not wrecked an NSX yet.

lost control 2 times but lucky I didnt hit anything.

that's how all great businesses start !

all the best with this build; im sure i will (alongside many others) will be cheering you on.

So this is my First real repair build for a customer. I am excited to have a new project and yet another NSX in my Driveway.

it didnt look as bad but i really dont know but the looks of shawns builds he prob can tackle this in 1 week :)

Please. For your family's sake. Talk in private with your insurance agent or a family lawyer on what you are doing and your possible exposure in the event something goes wrong.

Last edited:
good idea pbassjo cover all his bases is very wise advice, I am sure he has though a very through kinda guy.
but the one person he def needed permission from was the wife LOL
those can be meaner than a lawyer.
but not even a goodluck, or anything yikes pbassjo

if something does go wrong and or the tree in my yard falls on and destroys all 3 NSX in my driveway I am pretty sure all 3 cars will be covered.

but I will have this done very quickly its not that bad in my eyes.

took pics this morning uploading now.

goes to frame guy on monday for a check up and or fix. anything I cant do goes to the pro's, paint, NSX mech etc.

enjoy..

Last edited:
Shawn, I'll be watching this closely too.... It doesn't look as bad as I thought it might.
I'm glad you will be able to save it.
I'm thinking you should have it buffed out and looking new by the end of this weekend.

Anyway, I read on another post you have a new addition to your family (non NSX family) soon. So congrats on that and may you be blessed in all your endevors, family, friends, business!

- Rod

good idea pbassjo cover all his bases is very wise advice, I am sure he has though a very through kinda guy.
but the one person he def needed permission from was the wife LOL
those can be meaner than a lawyer.
but not even a goodluck, or anything yikes pbassjo

if something does go wrong and or the tree in my yard falls on and destroys all 3 NSX in my driveway I am pretty sure all 3 cars will be covered.

I think Joe has been hanging with me so long that he thinks like a negligence lawyer. I'm pretty sure his comment was made because you have progressed beyond doing builds for yourself and have gone on to bringing others' cars back to form. That does create a "potential" issue so I'm sure Joe meant what I would have said had I typed it first.

But now back on topic, I, too enjoy seeing these cars get restored to their former glory.

RSO 34 I know where he was going with it.
I dont want to ever get on either of you guys bad side.

any work that needs to be done that I have no skill to do I will pass it on to the pro's that actually do " frame work etc. " and are insured to do repair work. body panel, adding new parts isnt hard.

now if there is frame work that needs to be done, I will not touch it, like I said let the pro's do that part.

as you can see its not that bad, I will take it to my guys monday to check the frame and or fix it. then adding the new parts is my part the expensive labor and hoursof work removing parts lining up panels, I do that for fun not pay.. I already have a real job LOL

but any advice is always welcome PM me RSO 34 or pbassjo

Yea, looking at the pix this look like an easy one. Looks mostly non-structural. The Nsx is squong.:biggrin:

On its way to the frame shop for a check up.
I do things proper LOL

and Yes I have guys that work Sunday thru Saturday

2012-05-20_11-14-18_713.jpg

2012-05-20_11-14-33_953.jpg

Last edited:
what you didnt just throw on a set of steelies and drive it there yourself? :biggrin:

its definitely 02+ type r conversion time.

if it was my car yes. LOL but its not my car
so I have to follow the rules :rolleyes:

I'm kind of disappointed. I would have thought that Shawn would have strapped that bad boy onto a couple of dolphins rather than a flatbed across that bridge.

I will be eagerly following this rebuild. Did the customer just want it back to stock or did he/she have any mods planned out while you were working your magic?

Last edited:
yeah we have already talked about it and its not set in stone
but it will be ALMOST stock

but I want it to be a surprise. :smile:

but any suggestions I am sure he will read On this thread

and if you post some pics of the suggestions on this thread it may change his mind.

I like a car to Looks close to stock as possible but with tasteful upgrades

Ok guys some updates here are the pics from today.

I went to the frame shop and did some labor I want to try and save every part I can as it will be less to order LOL

the frame rails are perfect both are level no bending nothing,
the brunt of the smash was the Light bucket, it need to be pulled out
as its a little high compared to the other side.

its all looking good no Kill the car damage. I am waiting on parts now so
prob no new updates for a few days.

enjoy

2012-05-21_12-43-47_500.jpg

2012-05-21_12-43-40_7.jpg

2012-05-21_12-44-04_187.jpg

2012-05-21_12-43-55_252.jpg

2012-05-21_13-06-47_844.jpg

2012-05-21_12-44-15_692.jpg

Back