• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

New back up camera

I'll ask the seller for specs. What specs should I ask about? I think my Kenwood can reverse the image for me but I'll have to check.

SoCalDude said:
I'll ask the seller for specs. What specs should I ask about? I think my Kenwood can reverse the image for me but I'll have to check.
You want to know if it's primarily CCD or CMOS; the LUX level, the angle of view; reverse image?
I haven't seen a monitor that flips the image before, but that doesn't mean yours can't! Be sure either way.
If it's CMOS, you're probably paying over $100 for the brackets! If it's CCD that's a good deal.

D'Ecosse said:
You want to know if it's primarily CCD or CMOS; the LUX level, the angle of view; reverse image?
I haven't seen a monitor that flips the image before, but that doesn't mean yours can't! Be sure either way.
If it's CMOS, you're probably paying over $100 for the brackets! If it's CCD that's a good deal.
Here's what he answered:

"OV7910 3 LUX lens angle is 100 The camera doesnt have a built in reverse image."

Now what about these units?

http://www.sportsimportsltd.com/liplfrrecoca.html

http://www.sportsimportsltd.com/bartyliplcoc.html

http://www.avelectronic.com/License-Camera.htm

Specs are all similar - all are CCD cameras, where a bare camera would be $150+; so reasonable buys I guess, at least the first two - you have to consider for yourself if the mount is worth that much to you but at least the cameras are a long way better than the initial one you referenced. The first two don't exactly specify reverse image, but from description sounds like that is intent. Just get a confirmation that they are indeed reverse image.

One note on the angle - at close-in, the wider angle units (first two) will give a fishbowl effect but this is not really noticeable at regular perspective
(I thought mine was screwed up initially when I installed it in my garage & looking at the door, the rails were all curved! - this is expected at ~ 18" range on a wide angle) If you look at the image of mine in the link above you will see that a regular distance rear view looks quite normal.

Another quick input on installing - realize that if you mount on the license plate, you still have to get the signal wiring back to your screen and reciprocally, power to the camera. Shouldn't be too big a deal though - you can run under the trunk of the car, up into the engine bay then through the firewall & on into the center console.

would it work to use this in a non reverse image attached to the back of the rear view mirror ? It seems like it would be a nice track camera and I assume I could capture the image and record it to my hard drive. the application would be quite stealth and the wires could be concealed in the windshield trim. Another idea would be to have it in the nav pod facing the windshield but i think the angle of the pod woud require it to either protrude too far or need to be recessed and the loose view angle. any thoughts?

You can easily buy non-reverse camera's Woody (they are not switchable - get correct or reversed). Not sure about mounting behind (or actually in front of)the mirror though.
I think the pod mount (for those who have them) is a great idea - you can buy camera's which actually have a couple of angled rings on the body, so you can change the angle of view (or in this case the mounting angle).
See this one for how the variable angle mount works (this one reverse though)

Or go with this style mount - I had that camera & it was pretty good, but is NOT reversed so should be good for your application.

They give a std composite video out via RCA so you can hook it up to any camcorder or other recordable media (like your hard-drive) without figuring out how to mount a bulky conventional camera.

It might also be cool to mount one on a simple "L" bracket to where the license plate should go.

For forward-facing camera for this purpose, I would definitely go for one with a mike too, to get a better resultant final experience in replay. I would just go with CMOS camera for this application - should be ~ $50.

Last edited:
Yea, front camera :) I'm working on a bracket that will go behind rear view mirror but can't get it the way I like it. This is the last prototype. It fits in with mic behind mirror. I finally got the angel right to match the angel of the windshield.

Attachments

• frontmount.jpg
    frontmount.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 421
Yea, front camera I'm working on a bracket that will go behind rear view mirror but can't get it the way I like it. This is the last prototype. It fits in with mic behind mirror. I finally got the angel right to match the angel of the windshield.

looks impressive. Isnt the camera small enought to just hot glue it to the front of the mirror with out seeing it from the drivers perspective? the wire could follow the mount to the windshield and up to the top windshield trim pice with minimal exposure. can the image be rotated? it appears that the cord exits the top of the camera. if it was just hot glued to the front of the mirror it would be ideal for it to exit the camera horizontally toward the mirror support. also I wonder if i could simultaneously record front and rear camera to my inboard computer. I have 2 aux video inputs to my xenarc screen. I am pretty sure I can do a screen capture but i dont think I can isolate the individual rca inputs. Maybe if I made on camera usb input direct to the computer? it would be cool to maybe show simultaneous split screen video of front and rear perspective (especially when blowing someones doors off! :wink: The doppler effect on the 2 microphones might make for an interesting variant.
just an afterthought...The microphone on the in-cabin camera would be a nice thing to have on in the event of being pulled over. Most cops are reasonable but I have had some experiences where the officers behavior would have been considered unacceptable if the judge had a recording of the exchange to listen to in court :smile:

Last edited:
Back