• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

New back up camera

I bought a new camera from Audiovox to replace my old one, it fits like a glove. It's water proof and has reverse image, color, audio, and 5 different ways of mounting it. Cost was $174.00 retail.

Here is the camera info.
0.8 lux
1/3 Sony CCDcam
120 Deg viewing angle
330 res
Weight 11oz
Size 3 1/4, 2, 1 3/4

I just silicone it in place, no reason to mount it to the body, or the tail light.
I also wanted to be able to take it off with out leaving any damage.
It fits perfect under the lenz, no need to modify anything.

IMG_0032.jpg

IMG_0062.jpg

IMG_0035.jpg

IMG_0036.jpg

IMG_0038.jpg

IMG_0040.jpg

IMG_0042.jpg

IMG_0045.jpg

IMG_0047.jpg

IMG_0057.jpg

Looks like its stock.
IMG_0054.jpg

Last edited:
Looks good. I was considering (and kind of still am) putting a rear-view camera like that into the key hole of the center taillight garnish piece, like others here on Prime have done.... since I recently did this mod here. The only thing holding me back from doing it is the fact that I use my trunk a lot, and I don't have it setup with a keyless remote to pop it open. Thus, I still use the key to open it.

Nice find Brian - I had to make a much larger hole in my rear lens to accommodate the one I have which was not a trivial task - this one makes fitment much easier.
Do you have the info as to what the required LUX level light is and also the angle perspective?

Hey Ken
The only down side is the lip on the end of the camera.
It does mount up flush to the back of the tail lenz, but it cuts the corners of the edge of the tv. With all the adapters I could have mounted it like yours so it would have been flush, that would have fixed the round corner problem.
I just didn't want to dremel out the lenz.
I will check on the lux, and what the angle field of vision is.

You can see the lip on the camera in this pic.
IMG_0040.jpg

Yeah, that's exactly why I had to mount it on the outside - I suspect the angle is quite wide on yours too, because my original one mounted on the inside without creating the fishbowl clipping, but the wide angle caught the edges. I figured, (I spent about the same as you on the camera) - a replacement lens is actually only (!) about the same price if I ever did decide to put it back to stock.

At night it has a snow effect around the edge, because the plastic is thin around the key hole when head lights hit it.
I will have to live with it for a bit, I can allways fix it right like you did later on. I just posted this so others can see how easy it is.
Here is the info.
0.8 lux
1/3 Sony CCDcam
120 Deg viewing angle
330 res
Weight 11oz
Size 3 1/4, 2, 1 3/4

Quite similar to mine - it's down to 0.5 lux, but for all extents & purposes that is pretty much the same (i.e pretty low!) ambient light. That's one major advantage of CCD vs CMOS.
Yours even wider than mine (105 deg) however so not surprised its clipping the edge of the aperture.

Oh - mine doesn't have audio (but I don't think I would use it?) Still, another feature though.

I don't have enough inputs left to hook up the audio. :eek:
I can hear my Tubi just fine with out it!
At 330 Does the res look a litle low to you?

prova4re said:
I don't have enough inputs left to hook up the audio. :eek:
I can hear my Tubi just fine with out it!
At 330 Does the res look a litle low to you?
What does the image look like? I have to admit my ccd image was not as crisp as the cheap CMOS one I had - I put that down to the low LUX design I guess. Pic Here
It's not like it's for making movies or anything so I think overall I prefer the low light feature over the clarity - not like it's horrible. Just noticably lesser. It's also conceivable the length of cable affects the CCD more than the CMOS and it is coming a long way from the trunk .......

prova4re said:
At night it has a snow effect around the edge, because the plastic is thin around the key hole when head lights hit it.
I will have to live with it for a bit, I can allways fix it right like you did later on. I just posted this so others can see how easy it is.
Here is the info.
0.8 lux
1/3 Sony CCDcam
120 Deg viewing angle
330 res
Weight 11oz
Size 3 1/4, 2, 1 3/4

Would you be willing to post a captured frame from the cam? I've installed one i bought for $50 off ebay, but it turns out it's a total POS with no focus and is completely worthless - it must be a physical defect :( .. I've already destroyed one center tail lens, only to finally install the camera and have it function worthlessley... I saw a still from D's camera (a cam shot of a LCD display of the cam i think) and it looks great compared to mine.. I'll buy another cam once I can find one with the proper fitment and at least a reasonable capture output...

Looking for something to glue in there without modifiying the OEM piece, which I think is what you've done..

-Josh

I assume you open the trunk with a keyless system. What happens if that system fails? How do you get in the trunk?

NetViper said:
I assume you open the trunk with a keyless system. What happens if that system fails? How do you get in the trunk?
It's a Honda - won't fail!
Remember you are not dependent on the After-market alarm release; the OEM button on the driver's door still works independently of the alarm. Yes it could still fail, but these kind of solenoids are designed for many thousands of operations and the trunk release is not exactly used that much (relative to other car functions)

I've actually thought about running a manual "pull-wire" out through the bottom of the trunk floor as a fail-safe and will get to that one of these days eventually.

D'Ecosse said:
Remember you are not dependent on the After-market alarm release; the OEM button on the driver's door still works independently of the alarm. Yes it could still fail, but these kind of solenoids are designed for many thousands of operations and the trunk release is not exactly used that much (relative to other car functions)

I've actually thought about running a manual "pull-wire" out through the bottom of the trunk floor as a fail-safe and will get to that one of these days eventually.
A rear view camera is next on my project list but I'm not pulling the lock because I'm am worried that something could fail. In my wife's Lexus ES 300, she can only open the trunk with the key. The trunk release no longer works on the alarm or button inside the car. Some sort of electrical problem that the dealer wants $1,000 plus to fix.

D'Ecosse said:
IRemember you are not dependent on the After-market alarm release; the OEM button on the driver's door still works independently of the alarm. .

Duh, I totally forgot about that. :redface:

D'Ecosse said:

Heh, after going through this huge mess, it kind of makes you hesitant and wonder if anything else might want to fail some day on the car, like the trunk not openning up. Of course my probem was rare but hey, it happens :tongue: . True, a hidden 'pull-wire' would work if you rigged something up and hid it up between the rear bumper and muffler..... unless the entire lock/latch assembly fails and you need to tear into the trunk like what I did to my door :eek: . Probably would never happen but hey, you just never know.

The nice thing about this camera is it has many different mounts, you can install it like I did.

IMG_0054.jpg

Or you have the option of installing it like D'Ecosse did, it all depends on what you want the pic on the screen to look like.

5957DSC00951.JPG

Joshs
I will take a few pics today for you, I used silicone instead of glue so I could just peal it off without any damage.

donwon
LOL! I have the yellow top deep cycle batt.

prova4re said:
The nice thing about this camera is it has many different mounts, you can install it like I did.

IMG_0054.jpg

Joshs
I will take a few pics today for you, I used silicone instead of glue so I could just peal it off without any damage.

My install looks just like yours but with a non-functional camera. On mine I can definately see a bit of a ring on the video feed (it gives image but is super blurry). . I used hot glue so I expect it to be removed relatively easily without damage to the lens.

If the ring on the screen is reansonably thin around the edges I think i'll go ahead and order the cam you've got. Looking forward to the pics, thanks a lot!

-Josh

Here are some pics at night.

My suv parked right behind the Nsx.
IMG_0023.jpg

IMG_0020.jpg

IMG_0029.jpg

This pic is not as clear as it is on the tv screen
IMG_0031.jpg

prova4re said:
Here is some info.

Thanks, excelent install! You have given me many ideas...

Another Q... Have you been able to overcome the problem of the image been swapped around when viewed on the TV in the car?

This camera is made to be mounted on the rear of your car, so you wont have any reverse image problems on the monitor.

Newman said:
Heh, after going through this huge mess, it kind of makes you hesitant and wonder if anything else might want to fail some day on the car, like the trunk not openning up. Of course my probem was rare but hey, it happens :tongue: . True, a hidden 'pull-wire' would work if you rigged something up and hid it up between the rear bumper and muffler..... unless the entire lock/latch assembly fails and you need to tear into the trunk like what I did to my door :eek: . Probably would never happen but hey, you just never know.

Once this happens, you can upgrade to the CF trunk! :D

Back