• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

new car shopping

Well the old NSX is going to be relegated to track duty only soon and I thought I'd just let you know my story of finding a daily driver replacement in the sports car market. Took a look at the following cars:

Viper - Very cartoonish, larger than life so to speak. Uncomfortable, crappy forward vision, no place to rest your left foot, offset pedals, holy crap fast for a stock car. If the interior were more refined and comfortable it would be my pick but not worthy of daily drives. Did I mention holy crap fast? Oh yah a truck shifter.

911 - Really well refined car, same type of speed power as the NSX, although the interior is nice the way it is laid out reminds me of an old beetle. Lacking emotion if you ask me, although if it was a GT2 version I'm sure I'd have a different opinion.

M3 - what can I say BMW is a great car, but coming from an NSX it hardly feels sporty enough in the helm, shifter sucks, driving position is too comfort oriented. Nice car but no thanks.

Vette - I always liked the C5, great looking car with lots of performance potential. Coming from an NSX is has crap forward visibility, camaro type quality (although very roomy and comfortable) and I don't know what it is about north american manufacturers and their super tall and long throw shifters. Dealer told me if I can wait a year or two, the new C6 will be 300lbs lighter (use of aluminum rails) between 4-500hp, more refined, night vision, heads up display, paddle shift, etc.

hmm what to do what to do, new vette sounds worth the wait but then again, may as well wait for the 2004 NSX, guess I'll wait until this car show season to see what is coming and get an SUV for now.

Purpose of my story...my NSX is a 1991 and has been around for almost 11 years, and to be honest in most aspects it's better than any other option out there, although I have to admit a stock NSX is looking a bit dated. Driving home from the auto mall it may have not felt as fast as say the viper but as a package of speed/handling/braking/comfort/fun factor well it's hard to beat.

Don't forget to include a new NSX on your list
smile.gif

-Bob

I agree with you.

I could get a newer, more $$$ car than my 91 (which only has 22k miles).

But what would I get...?

Viper - no way, no quality there.
Vette- again, no quality, interior is very poor, you see them everywhere, most with auto's driving slow

996 - too relaxed, almost a GT, doesn't *feel* as fast as my lightly modded NSX, handling is nice, but I hate the forward vision. I love the style and interior of the car though, just beautiful! But not worth the money in my book.

M3 - Haven't driven the new one, but the old one put me to sleep.

RX7-TT - Awesome car, but a living timebomb, will blow up around 60-80k miles.

Supra TT - This one I would consider as it's performance potential is awesome for very little money. BPU a supra to get a low 12 sec 1/4 car for about $1500. But the looks of the car are pretty bad and it doesn't have that "exotic" factor. Plus, it's gotten so cheap that most of them now have dumb bodykits and the owners seem to take their attitudes from The Fast and the Furious.

M Roadster - Had a 2000 model of this car before I bought my NSX. Great car, but the handling needed work, a Dinan stage 1 would fix everything. Brakes were awesome, and the power was great, it felt really fast because of all the low end torque. But I'm not a big convertable fan and the car broke down on me a lot. Still, I really liked it.

M Coupe - Friend had a 2000, just got the 2001. Fast, fun, handles great. Not-for-everyone styling however. A really good car if you want that look.

I'm probably forgetting something, but that's my current take on the sports car scene. I'm sticking with my NSX, it rocks!

- Sam

This is why I bought the NSX...
For an 11 years old car....its just too good in my opinion.

It may not be the fastest, most expensive, best handling???, but it sure is at the top of my dream car wish list.
biggrin.gif

Originally posted by jon69:
Well the old NSX is going to be relegated to track duty only soon and I thought I'd just let you know my story of finding a daily driver replacement in the sports car market. Took a look at the following cars:

Have you considered an S2000? Its not quite in the same league as the cars you listed, but its still a blast to drive and it could be a cheap toy to keep you busy until you find the real answer (2nd gen NSX).

Originally posted by JoeSchmoe:

Have you considered an S2000? Its not quite in the same league as the cars you listed, but its still a blast to drive and it could be a cheap toy to keep you busy until you find the real answer (2nd gen NSX).

Nice little car but two words for you "too slow", unless you revving the snot out of it (and I have no problem doing that) you get no go. No down low torque for everyday driving. Besides it's a little too small for me to sit in, I'm 6' 200lbs and it's uncomfortable.
Pretty sure I'm gonna wait two more years for the 2004 NSX, or maybe a C6 vette? Oh well no loss just get to drive the NSX a wee bit longer, put in a supercharger to keep me happy until a V8 comes along.

Take a look at the MB SLK32 AMG. Downside only available in an automatic but really fast. Has a hard top that is automated. Pretty reliable too.

For me I'd just buy another NSX.

Ivan,
I would get the M5 if I got the cash. You should really hear Samson's new M5 with B&B exhaust, talking about 4 door Ferrari!
The new M3 is too slow IMO and I was totally disappointed after I drove it (think I told you that?), Vette/Viper has no quality at all, RX-7/Supra are bothing getting old like our '91 NSX do. Get a M5 with Navi, now you are driving with speed, class and comfort.

I would get the M5 if I got the cash.

The new M3 is too slow IMO

The E46 M3 is faster than the current M5. Due, no doubt, to the 4000+ pound weight of the latter car.

Originally posted by JoeSchmoe:

As most of you know, I to am looking at new cars. my list is very much the same as jon's.

I would like to add one comment on the S2000 though. If you are a big guy like me (6'1", ~250lbs) you won't fit in the S2000. At least I didn't. Damn that car was small.

[This message has been edited by blurr (edited 10 October 2001).]

Originally posted by NSEX:
Ivan,
I would get the M5 if I got the cash. You should really hear Samson's new M5 with B&B exhaust, talking about 4 door Ferrari!
The new M3 is too slow IMO and I was totally disappointed after I drove it (think I told you that?), Vette/Viper has no quality at all, RX-7/Supra are bothing getting old like our '91 NSX do. Get a M5 with Navi, now you are driving with speed, class and comfort.

Hey Tommy!
I know that M5 is nice, really nice, love to see Sampsons. Maybe I'll go take a look at one, but I'm not so sure about BMW's they loose too much value, I think the M5 is over 100 g's and in 3 years it'll be worth half that. Besides it's not a "true" sports car,
I want a two seater for myself, the old lady is gonna get an X5 so I can use that for doing errands but still need a sports car for the "fun" drives. By the way the next generation M5 will have a 500hp V10!! and the M3 (to be M4) will get the old M5 400hp V8. Now a 400hp M3 could be in the cards for me, or even if they make a 500hp M6!

I think the M5 is over 100 g's

Only when priced using that "funny money" they have north of the border. MSRP is US$72,145, although Edmunds notes that it might actually sell for around $80K.

This information belongs in the marketplace, and should *NOT* be posted here in the forums...
http://www.nsxprime.com/market/marketplace.htm

All the info to get your ads placed are available from that link, please keep further ads from cluttering the forums.
-----------------------------------------

As far as the actual discussion on new sports cars, I've almost considered picking up a recent Lotus Esprit - that car looks pretty cool, has some good performance, and is still exotic. But, I've only heard bad things about the car's reliability...

If you go the 'vette route, I'd look into getting one of the third-party modified vette's...that way you can turn the car, as well as go fast in a straight line
smile.gif

If you're looking for something really rare, you can always import a true WRC car, like a lancer Evo 6 or a full Suburaru WRC model. Besides being amazingly fun to tune, these cars are bitching rides...who needs high top speed for a daily driver? I'll take the amazing acceleration and short throws of a rally car any day.

Hell, besides doing 0-60 in 5 secs or less, you can even go rallying around...and the car isn't a cop magnet.

Back