• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

New caretaker for a 1991 bought from original owner. St.Louis area

My road to NSX ownership started 31 years ago. I was over at a very good friend’s house when his uncle showed up with his brand new (one of the first in the Midwest) 1991 NSX. As a 19 year old car nut, I was blown away at how cool his car was, and as I was enthusiastically talking with him about it, he tossed his keys to his nephew and told us to go have a good time. I was blown away that he would trust his brand new NSX to a 22 year old and a 19 year old ( I knew I was respectful and trustworthy, but he didn’t know me very well at the time). For anyone familiar with St. Louis, we took it to Lindbergh Blvd, which was a main “cruising“ road at the time. No one had ever seen one on the road until then, so we were constantly getting yelled at, “what is that…..is that a Ferrari ? ….and kids wanting to race us title for title hahaha….” I still remember every detail of that drive, at the time, it was pure awesomeness. When we got back, my buddy’s uncle turned to me and asked, “did you like how it drove ?” To which I replied, “ I don’t know, I didn’t drive it…“ he turned to his nephew and said, “what the heck, Ken is the car nut, the whole point was for him to drive it.” Then he turned to me, and said, “ don’t worry, we‘ll get together again and you can drive the NSX….”

I remained close with the family, but hadn’t seen my buddy’s uncle since that day 31 years ago. However, every time I talked with my buddy, I’d ask, “does your uncle still have my NSX ?“ I have thought of that drive and his car since the day we took it out that day. Fast forward to present day, in the beginning of November, while driving home from work, I got a text from my buddy that his uncle was thinking of selling the NSX. My heart skipped a beat, I had to have that car, his car. Long story short, I met with him and his lovely wife 31 years after he promised me a chance to get together and drive his car. I’ve driven a lot of exotic cars, but this was my first time to drive an NSX, and it was nostalgic. We struck a deal, and he said he was really excited that I was the one that would own his car. I absolutely love driving this car, it’s an engaging experience to drive, and pure joy.

This NSX is bone stock, 91,000 miles, my buddy’s uncle was the only owner. He also gave me the book and model that the Acura dealer gave him when he bought the car. If I do any modification to it, I may put bronze T-35 wheels on it, but otherwise, I’ll keep it stock like he kept it for 31 years.

Attachments

• E83B24D6-E4D4-4191-80C7-FFA14ED62D93.jpeg
    E83B24D6-E4D4-4191-80C7-FFA14ED62D93.jpeg
    312.6 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
Hey guys,

Thanks for the warm welcome, much appreciated. I thought about this car for 31 years, so I feel blessed and honored to be the current owner. Since it was kept bone stock for so long, I may keep it that way, but it is tempting to put some bronze T-S5 wheels on it….

Last edited:
Wow, that thing looks like it's in amazing condition. What a great story too. Cars become so much more special when you have that connection story with them either through a great pickup trip, or waiting 31 years to drive it! :D

Wow, that thing looks like it's in amazing condition. What a great story too. Cars become so much more special when you have that connection story with them either through a great pickup trip, or waiting 31 years to drive it! :D
Thanks, and true. It's in great condition overall, which is why there's some hesitation even to change out the wheels to TS-5's....which I think look awesome on the NSX...

Thanks, and true. It's in great condition overall, which is why there's some hesitation even to change out the wheels to TS-5's....which I think look awesome on the NSX...
I did a sport spring and a koni yellow and added spacers and it transforms the look of the car while still keeping a stock look and feel. And because most people don't know how much of a 4x4 the NSX was when released on the 15/16 it being lowered 1" or so looks totally normal to them.

Wonderful story and welcome! You're very fortunate to have the original lip spoiler on there- makes speed bumps and curbs much easier to navigate!

Hey guys,

Thanks for the warm welcome, much appreciated. I thought about this car for 31 years, so I feel blessed and honored to be the current owner. Since it was kept bone stock for so long, I may keep it that way, but it is tempting to put some bronze T-S5 wheels on it….

Hey guys,

Hi there, i’m looking to purchase the original rims, please drop me message if you’re willing to sel them, cheers

Congrats on landing your dream car. From the time the NSX hit the magazines in 1989, I knew I wanted one. Getting a first year S2000 when they were introduced was awesome, but the desire for a NSX never went away. Eleven years later a good friend, who I let know he should think of me if he ever decided to part with his 03 imported from Florida, let me know he was not driving his car much because of work and a sore back. I went to see his car and we made a deal. I never drove it, but I did have a drive in one years earlier with another friend. That was good enough for me. The car was already put away for winter, so that's where it stayed till spring. That was a very long winter!
As soon as the salt was gone from the roads, I finally got to bring the car home. Best two and a half hour drive in my life! My buddy imported the car with 5K and sold it to me with 9K. It just reached 20K this fall before being tucked away till spring.

Back