• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

new member... no car but debating...

I have a 93 supra tt bpu++, and I just got a offer for a 92 nsx 90k miles white with subtle mods... everyones telling me no, but I look at the values of the car more than speed... what am I looking to get into with the nsx, never really owned a car like it, have always had turbo'd cars (sti, b5 s4, fd rx7, mkiv supra...).

thanks,
Ray :smile:

Ray,
What do you mean by getting an offer for a 92 NSX? Is someone offering you a trade for your Supra TT? BTW, welcome to Prime.

yes a trade, and do you think my supra wheels will fit on it? the rims on his nsx are some crap aftermarket chrome rims...

my supra rim specs: volk gt-c 18x9 front +34, and 18x10 +42 rear

I'm pretty sure the bolt patterns are the same? 5x114? not sure lol

First off...why would people say, "no"? The NSX falls into the true exotic realm - and it is such a beautiful car to mod out ...if you want. I purchased a 91 automatic...yes...an automatic...and I would never consider ever selling the car...the mods on her are absolutely phat! I would only consider a Lamborghini or a Ferrari if I was going to own another exotic...all other sports cars do very little for me now - have to blame it on the NSX...lol...

Dam :cool:

those might fit slightly but you woud have to streatch the front tires to run 215/225 widths on the front, nothing a set of wider front fenders cant fix:biggrin:

post up pics/info about your supra and more about the nsx if you have any more info on it

What do his maintenance records look like?

Same bolt pattern. The rear offset may be too large to fit, but I'm not a wheel and tire expert.

I looked at Supra TT's before going for the NSX. If you like speed, great, but the NSX's redeeming qualities far outweigh the Supra's IMHO.

I'm sure you'll find several people on this board who own both.

Last edited:
supra: 121k miles, auto...
Apexi 4" catback
titan cam gears
greddy bcc
greddy ebc
greddy 3 row fmic
volk gtc's i mentioned above
trd cf hood

pics:
http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y204/raykwok/supra/

NSX: 90k miles, 5 speed
(what he told me) IT HAS A SIEBON VENTED CARBON HOOD,SIEBON VENTED CARBON TRUNK AND SIEBON GTR2 CARBON WING (2,400$$)TENZO R SEATS WITH RECLINING AND FULL POWER RONT AND BACK (CUSTOM).WHEELS ARE ANTERA 5 STAR CHROME STAGGERED 18X10 17X8.5.THE CAR JUST HAD TIMING BELT AND CLUTCH 4K AGO ,AND JUST DID COMPLETE SERVICE OIL (MOBIL 1 SYNTHETIC)FUEL FILTER,AIR FILTER,BRAKES,THERMOSTAT WITH FULL SYSTEM FLUSH AND NEW OVER FLOW TANK .ALSO HAVE ALL STOCK PARTS IN EXCELLENT CONDITION IT IS FAST AND VERY CLEAN IN AND OUT.THE CAR HAS 90K

his pics:
nsx3.jpg

nsx1.jpg

nsx6.jpg

nsx5.jpg

nsxfront.jpg

nsx4.jpg

nsx2.jpg

I'm probably gonna ask him to keep his seats if he has stocks and keep the rims lol...

:eek: That trunk is a piece of work. Probably the oddest thing I've seen on an NSX.

If it were me, I'd ask him to return everything exterior-wise back to stock, but you may like the vented hood.

Timing belt/water pump is a good chunk of money.

At 90K, what is his clutch situation looking like?

Ask him about the window regulators, the A/C, the ABS, the climate control unit in the console, and the speakers.

Could be a good trade. Anyone else care to comment or offer advice?

yea i don't like a lot of things on the car lol....

the window regulators, the A/C, the ABS, the climate control unit in the console, and the speakers

are those things prone to breaking?

The window regulators for the 91s and 92s were faulty and of poor design. They tend to break, but some vendors offer cheap solutions to fix the problem permanently.

The A/C system tends to be a common issue on the NSX and parts get expensive. The car you're looking at is 16 years old so some things are to be expected. Rubber grommets fail. Condensers fail.

The ABS system I believe has a solenoid that fails occasionally. Not everyone experiences this problem. It's like the main relay, some fail, some don't.

The CCU WILL fail at some point. Symptoms: fan blowing at only high ( no in between ), fan not blowing at all, display not showing correctly.
There's a member here ( Briank ) who rebuilds this unit and the next item ( door speakers ) for a fraction of the replacement cost.

The speakers and amplifier from Bose are pretty faulty. Symptoms of going out includes kind of a shrieking noise, popping, or just no operation.

One thing you want to find out from the guy is his transmission number so you can see if his tranny lies within the "snap ring range". A specific number of trannies have a snap ring holding the countershaft that may break. Some within the range do not break. Some outside the range have even broken. The best recommendation is just to drive it until it breaks ( if it does ) and fix it then. It's just good to know that yours is inside or outside for your own knowledge.

That's basically it. Many things are related to the fact that it's a 92 and things were improved for 1993, but overall, the car is mechanically and electrically sound.

Since he has the original hood, trunk and spoiler get it and sell the other pieces. The trunk is goofy and the hood is not as bad but also not the best choice. Most NSX owners would not go for such mods but some may buy the peices. Often the quality is sub par to the original peices. BTW to replace those peices would be quite expensive and really limits your resale oportunities. The seats are probably the best mod on the car.

Don't wory about the mileage if it has been well taken care of, but you gotta love the trunk and hood if you are going to take it as is. Examine the peices carefully to make sure that there is no paint damage so you don't have to repaint as this will add cost. See if the fender bolts were loosened, they should have white paint on them if they were never removed. Sometimes when a new hood is installed the fenders are realigned and you have the original paint removed from the bolts. A white car is very desireable and unless you have NSX-R hood and spoiler peices, should be left stock, IMO.

Good luck,

Tytus

Holy cow! What is up with the trunk?:confused::eek: Those vents can't be good for the aerodynamics of the car. I'm surprised the trunk hasn't flown off the car.

I recently saw this car {this week} on VWVortex site. He was looking to trade for a VW as well. Apparently he just wants out of this car. You need receipts for all the service {all of it}, not just his word. You should do a carfax before you go any further. I usually don't critisize others cars but damn that trunk is hidious. Also ask how long he's owned it. Good luck.

I would but it'd be pretty hard to find a nsx that wants to trade into a supra?
I'm not really looking to sell my car, just the offer came up and sounds good.

that poor nsx ...
good luck for anything you do ... but tell him to put back to stock in all forms ,,,, then you guys can talk ...
...unless your Supra it's also "riced out" .. show us your ride ..
OScar

front2ggjj9.jpg

That is a clean supra ... i love the NSX 10 times better than a supra but the NSX in question is just to bad looking, you can bring back to normal and make it awesome .. but i'll take some work .. that also can be fun, there's tons of AMAZING looking white NSx's here ...
Oscar

On a positive note, it is white which is a sought after color. I would'nt rule the car out completely. If it carfaxes clean and there are receipts for all service, you may get lucky on this.

I'm with davidf.

Carfax it, get the maintenance history, then have him replace all the exterior pieces ( maybe seats too ) with the OEM in trade for the Supra if everything looks good.

You can start off fresh and do what you want with it.

One thing does concern me though.

Shouldn't the little slats in the front valence venting be black and not body color?

Last edited:
I would agree with many above statements. I would see the condition of the previous body panels and have that on the car. The seats, see if he has the originals, those are pretty cheap. Worse case they were change due to wear and tear. In all honesty I like your supra also. A lot of what ifs on this car. Good luck with your choice and if you do plan on te trade a pre welcome.

-g-

Nice looking Supra. No wonder you are considering to use the VOLK GTC on that NSX...
Take the advise given by fellow members, lots of people here have gone through the process of finding a good condition NSX. Good luck

Back