• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

new member... no car but debating...

My $.02: Keep the Supra right now. If you want an NSX, take the time to properly research it and find the right one.

yea I got a PM warning me about the car, so I'm gonna probably go check it out and go from there, most likely not get the car... unless he has all the stock parts/wheels... but depending on condition of car...

yea I got a PM warning me about the car, so I'm gonna probably go check it out and go from there, most likely not get the car... unless he has all the stock parts/wheels... but depending on condition of car...
Better yet, if there is a Prime member in your area, take them along to do the inspection.:wink:

I'm new to the NSX, couple of weeks of wide smile ownership. However, there is a night and day difference between maintenance costs on an NSX and your Toyota. The NSX is not a car for the weak of pocketbook. While it doesn't break often, when it does it can rock your world with the price of things. There is a thread around here somewhere about someone's brake master cylinder reservoir leaking/cracked. On any other car I've owned, that part is replaceable, usually $30-$40. On the NSX, from what I've read so far, it's all part of the whole ABS unit with a $2000 replacement cost :eek:

While normal maintenance items like plugs, filters and fluids are typical of any other Honda, once you get beyond that realm, it gets exponentially more expensive (get a price quote from the dealer to replace ALL the cooling hoses and then get your defibrillator out).

I researched as much as I could, lurked here for a long time, went to different Acura dealer websites and just priced out parts that generally fail at some point in a cars life and got a feel for the overall cost of ownership. It made me that much more determined to only buy a car with complete service records and that was current on maintenance. You might pony up more up front, but in the long run buying the best example you can afford will ultimately be cheaper. Oh, also just set aside an extra $5K for the first year of ownership - just in case ;)

And just to add my worthless opinion, whoever did all that to that poor car should be shot. Of all the cars to rice up, why pick on something that is rare, beautiful to begin with and doesn't need anything to make it stand out. And even if all that is real carbon fiber (doubtful), it still weighs more than the aluminum pieces it replaced. To make an NSX lighter, start removing stuff rather than trying to find lighter pieces.

If you can overlook the Tenzo seats (why?) and chromie wheels (why?), then it's not so bad. You will definitely miss the Turbo's power unless you intend on adding a $10G SC. My advice: Own both.

Not for that nsx. It's got cheapo, like real cheapo pepboys grade seats. The wheels are also cheap. Or that goofy gills trunk lid. The only thing I like about that car is the original color. Oh yeah and those calipers are rusted to hell. Chrome is also easy to keep nice, those are not kept clean.

No way man. Your Supra is way too damn nice.

Oh yeah, and for the price of your volks, you can purchase the spoiler, trunk lid, hood and rims that he's got on that car. Oh and seats.

Last edited:
that nsx is hideous, what do you think is a fiar price for your supra? your supra is very clean,

the nsx looks like a pile, make sure he has receipts for the timing belt and whatnot, the nsx could easily bring in 25k$ maybe more IF he has all the stock body parts and seats, the car is a 20k$ nsx the way its sitting right there, heck, 20k might even be just on a good day

haha thanks for the opinions guys :) I think I might turn it down, but I was probably just hoping it was going to be a good trade... I have never driven a supercar before :p

Holy cow! What is up with the trunk?:confused::eek: Those vents can't be good for the aerodynamics of the car. I'm surprised the trunk hasn't flown off the car.

rotflmao.gif

yeah that nsx looks like a real piece of crap. i wouldn't trade my supra for that ( if i had one ). if you are tempted at a nsx in general, i would test drive one and see if its for you. Just don't forget to rev it all the way to 8K or else it will feel pretty gutless.

although different systems, i did just replace the CLUTCH master cylinder and it was pretty cheap for the OEM part. $100+ plus labor.

I'm new to the NSX, couple of weeks of wide smile ownership. However, there is a night and day difference between maintenance costs on an NSX and your Toyota. The NSX is not a car for the weak of pocketbook. While it doesn't break often, when it does it can rock your world with the price of things. There is a thread around here somewhere about someone's brake master cylinder reservoir leaking/cracked. On any other car I've owned, that part is replaceable, usually $30-$40. On the NSX, from what I've read so far, it's all part of the whole ABS unit with a $2000 replacement cost :eek:

While normal maintenance items like plugs, filters and fluids are typical of any other Honda, once you get beyond that realm, it gets exponentially more expensive (get a price quote from the dealer to replace ALL the cooling hoses and then get your defibrillator out).

I researched as much as I could, lurked here for a long time, went to different Acura dealer websites and just priced out parts that generally fail at some point in a cars life and got a feel for the overall cost of ownership. It made me that much more determined to only buy a car with complete service records and that was current on maintenance. You might pony up more up front, but in the long run buying the best example you can afford will ultimately be cheaper. Oh, also just set aside an extra $5K for the first year of ownership - just in case ;)

And just to add my worthless opinion, whoever did all that to that poor car should be shot. Of all the cars to rice up, why pick on something that is rare, beautiful to begin with and doesn't need anything to make it stand out. And even if all that is real carbon fiber (doubtful), it still weighs more than the aluminum pieces it replaced. To make an NSX lighter, start removing stuff rather than trying to find lighter pieces.

nsx21.jpg

klingon.jpg

Last edited:
haha thanks for the opinions guys :) I think I might turn it down, but I was probably just hoping it was going to be a good trade... I have never driven a supercar before :p

you can take mine out for a spin, I'm XLR8 on njtuners...but you have to let me drive your Supra lol :biggrin:

I WOULD only trade my supra for that NSX if it was an even trade for a 1985 supra. Maybe you can use his mods as a reason to get the car for a great price, but you did say trade....I mean those exterior mods can be changed back to stock. I would hope that he has the stock pieces.......If you look in the for sale section, i am sure you would find both . Them rims are from late 90's early 2000's ...lol....

But your supra is nice. Those rims gave it a new attitude!!!! SUPRA

Back when I was young my Rx7 93 saw allot of SUPRAS on the back roads...:redface:

Honestly....

I JUST READ THE THREAD AGAIN. HE HAS IT LISTED THAT HE HAS ALL STOCK parts. SO you can change it back to stock if you like in an hr or two with help. I think must of see this and say no way ( I DID). However, if you put that hood and rear on most of our NSxes that have posted that they wouldn't buy it!!! Our cars would look the same, no matter how well maintained it was on miles they have. You are not going to find allot people willing to trade the 2. If you live near it, test and inspect it. People here at times would let carbon fiber stick ons from letting them buy a car. The things peel off guys...LOL....I am one of these people that added WW kit in hopes of making it look a lil more modern. However, I kept the stock parts and returned back to stock with no issues (2 time, 2 different cars) Some say dont buy with an SC---Glad I didnt listen. Again my first response was oh my GOD when I saw it. Under those exterior mods, its still an NSX that can be changed back with lil effort. Rims have to go though and your rims may fit. Close call on that one...

Last edited:
I'd be seriously concerned WHY this guy wants to dump this car so bad. Who cares that it has ugly mods on it... what else is wrong with it? I wouldn't go near it without a PPI first.

Think you might turn it down? You better turn it down.It'd be stupid to accept that trade on your part, great on his part. Whether he has his stock parts or not, it shows he's got shitty taste. I can only imagine what else was done that he'll tell you, you'll find out, or you won't find out.

It's the obviously cheap seats and HORRIBLE trunk lid that makes the car so crappy.

Just don't rule it out without looking at it first. The car may be mechanically sound. The owner may just be an idiot. It costs you nothing to look. It's got some bolt on "crap", but it's not butchered by any means. I would kill for white with a black top.

Think you might turn it down? You better turn it down.It'd be stupid to accept that trade on your part, great on his part. Whether he has his stock parts or not, it shows he's got shitty taste. I can only imagine what else was done that he'll tell you, you'll find out, or you won't find out.

It's the obviously cheap seats and HORRIBLE trunk lid that makes the car so crappy.

Its stupid for an NSX owner to want a SUPRA and Vice Versa? Good LAWD. Such harsh words that are purely subjective. He asked for everyone opinions and he got it. Oh well. We all have did some things to our car that the next person will hate, love or just live with.

Hope my wife doesn't read this....Looking for the perfect car is like looking for the perfect woman. You take the good with the bad. By no means I am saying settle for this car.
1. Inspect
2. Drive
3. Get the Best DEAL possible

Personally, I wouldn't defend any mods i have done to my car. You want IT or NOT. It can sit in my garage until the end of TIME! However, I would discount accordingly.

I am shocked that the person didn't take it back to stock since he have the parts laying around that could be easily changed. We are not talking about dropping an engine her or putting the stock exhaust manifold back on....

Now with that being said, no engine bay pics or up front under the hood pics were listed.

Heck we dont even know the full details of the trade. May not be tic for tac? Could be extras, money , etc....

But I will leave this one alone......:cool:

Last edited:
You are asking whether to buy an NSX that has a whole lot of common problems and a whole lot of aesthetically undesirable modifications to it. You should be able to figure out that a car like this is difficult to sell, and will likely only sell for many thousands of dollars less than a car not similarly afflicted. If you are getting a killer deal on it, and this is how you would modify the car (or if you're willing to spend many thousands returning it to stock), then you might consider it. But if you're not saving oodles of dough, you're better off buying one that is in better shape.

You should be aware that you are very close to one of the best, most NSX-experienced mechanics in the country, Larry Bastanza, who works on NSXs out of his home garage. He's about 45 minutes from you; if you go up 287, you're not far from his place right after you cross the New York state line. You're also pretty close to one of the best, most NSX-experienced body shops in the country, Vince's, in Poughkeepsie. Either one can inspect the car in person and render an expert opinion on it for you.

Last edited:
Back