• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

New member, possible good deal on '94

Hey guys, I've been browsing lately and came across a deal that caught my eye. I'm a s2k owner and haven't really considered owning an NSX until this one came by.

I found a '94 NSX with less than 60k on the odo for less than $20k, I thought it was a scam so I email for kicks and I actually get a legitimate reply. I checked out the carfax and everything seems to match, there was a reported moderate accident in '03 but didn't seem to bad. The maintenance is up to date as well as he's been taking it to the dealer for service and they all show up on the carfax. I emailed him and he said the car runs perfectly and exterior is in great condition (i got pics too).

Do you guys think I should be weary of this deal or does this sound pretty legit and a good price?

Thanks for any advice guys.

I actually just called him. He says his dad just purchased it a few weeks ago and wants to sell it quick....don't know what that conotates but he said ha was at work and would call back another time. I guess I'll have to speak to him further. The car is very far so I really need to dig as much information as possible to see if its worth it for me to make travel arrangements. :biggrin:

I actually just called him. He says his dad just purchased it a few weeks ago and wants to sell it quick....don't know what that conotates but he said ha was at work and would call back another time. I guess I'll have to speak to him further. The car is very far so I really need to dig as much information as possible to see if its worth it for me to make travel arrangements. :biggrin:

At the dawn of the internet i too investigated many a great deals too and have come to the conclusion that its simply not worth the headache involved. I'm sure this story will end in some kind of "western union" thing or "i need you to give me a check for over the amount and i will give you the difference back" or maybe even some new type of scam but it is most likely just that, a scam.

These stories always start the same; " my brother is in Iraq" or "my grandma was given the car and doesn't drive it", "my job sent me over seas", "my dad has more money than sense"...

If you have time to waste then by all means continue to pursue this but do your homework carefully and don't spend a cent until your 100% sure you know what your doing.

Is there a link?

See what his response is when you say:

1. I have a local NSX enthusiast that is willing to check out the car (ask around here and see if someone is willing to take a look at it..offer a little $$ compensation if you have to).

2. Ask him if he is willing to take it to a local NSX shop or worse case an Acura dealer for a PPI to check for compression/leak down/accidents/etc.
Offer to pay for the PPI if repairs/damage is under say $1000 and he pays for the PPI if over $1k.

Good luck.
Jeff

See what his response is when you say:

1. I have a local NSX enthusiast that is willing to check out the car (ask around here and see if someone is willing to take a look at it..offer a little $$ compensation if you have to).

2. Ask him if he is willing to take it to a local NSX shop or worse case an Acura dealer for a PPI to check for compression/leak down/accidents/etc.
Offer to pay for the PPI if repairs/damage is under say $1000 and he pays for the PPI if over $1k.

Good luck.
Jeff

Thats great advice, I'll ask him that tomorrow when he sends me more detailed pics. I'm still very skeptical of this deal but I know someone who could actually check it out if need be.

Thanks guys.

Does the Carfax show the recent change of ownership? Does the Carfax show it registered in the area where it is located? Make sure there aren't palm trees in the picture of a car from Ohio :D How do you know the accident damage was minor? I'd want to see receipts for the body work, talk to the shop that did the work and even ask if before and after pics exist.

Be very skeptical of anyone selling a nice condition NSX for under $20K. If it is legitimate, but it!

yea i found a deal like your locally too but when i go see it in person the car was horrible. so its a very good idea if you know a local nsx owner that can check out the car for you before hand.

It is possible that the car is ok, but the only deal that I heard of like this ($20k) is a guy buying an NSX from a friend and neighbor and the friend was the original owner of a '91 a couple of years ago.

Good luck,

Tytus

The minute I hear "I am selling my dad's car" then I want to talk to dad:wink:

So its been a few days and I've sent some emails concerning the questions you guys suggested. He hasn't emailed back so I decided to call him, I finally got a hold of him and he seemed really distracted and told me that he just found out his wife has breast cancer....:eek:.

I apologized to him and told him that the car can wait, he did say that he would be willing to let someone local take a look at it so I can confirm that it is in good condition and legit.

Here are some pictures just in case any of you guys know about it, its aparently in Morgan Hill, Ca.

26389_10.jpg

26389_11.jpg

26389_2.jpg

26389_4.jpg

26389_3.jpg

5.jpg

Last edited:
From even the low resolution pictures, I can see the paint will need some work to remove swirls. Buffer work will definitely be involved. Could look worse in person.
Inside, the aftermarket radio seems to protrude and not fit very well.

I got involved in what I believe was a scam recently with a "too good to be true price" on an NSX. My advice is to be skeptical of less than market prices. NSX's seem to be priced pretty closely, and the one you describe would be above 30K unless something is wrong with it. I just bought a 95 NSX for $33,500 with 60 thousand miles on it and it needed a clutch which brought it up to about the "right" price. The scam car was a 2001 for $18,200 but I could not talk to the owner on the phone, and I could not see the car, and the owner "required" that I use a specific title/escrow company to handle a wire money transfer and then ship the car to my house. The title/escrow company had a pretty website but I could not verify its existance with the BBB or find a physical address. I hope this helps, as I felt like a fool thinking I could buy a 2001 for 18K. Any accident with an aluminum frame is a big deal from what I understand. You need to be sure the frame is straight and that it truly was just a minor accident. The bottom line is that you need to see the car, or have it checked out by an independant party in the very least. Good luck, spend more, and you will never regret it.

Too good to be true? Maybe. Possible fantastic deal? Maybe. I'd certainly try to find someone on the forum in that area to go at least give it the once over. I understand he and his wife being distracted by health issues, but didn't he say this was dad's car? Why not talk directly to dad? I alway worry when people have a title to a car that isn't in the same name as theirs. Why did dad only keep it a few weeks? Is the guy by any chance foreign born (hate to ask that but seems like most of the scams or curbstoners are from another country)?

Resolve as many issues as you can long distance and if all seems in order, buy a roundtrip ticket to go see the car. Who knows, you may end up tearing up the other half of the ticket and smiling all the way home in your bargain NSX :D

Resolve as many issues as you can long distance and if all seems in order, buy a roundtrip ticket to go see the car. Who knows, you may end up tearing up the other half of the ticket and smiling all the way home in your bargain NSX :D

Thats what i'm planning on, and btw, its Morgan hills, ca sorry for the confusion.

Also, this isn't some ridiculously under priced NSX. Edmunds gives a price range of 17k to 23k for the ;94 based on condition, so this isn't too far out of the question. I saw the swirls too, but its not anything a Porter cable or rotary can't fix, I'm fairly proficient when it comes to detailing. My only concern is letting go of my '05 s2k for a car that is 11 years older. it doesn't have a whole lot of miles but I'm still concerned about the electrical systems and the drive train of a almost 15 year old car.

I probably should have asked this first but would you guys go from a '05 s2k to a '94 nsx if it has to be your only car?

^ Awesome, thats what I originally thought. Someone asked me that and I started 2nd guessing myself.

Looks like this is the NSX you are talking about:

http://www.onestopmotors.com/ad_details.aspx?ad_id=26389

It's listed for $40.8K

Also listed at the website below which all point back to www.onestopmotors.com

http://www.stumblehere.com/ads/99975

VIN: JH4NA1154RT000127

Per the VIN, it is a manual...noted by the 1

Good luck...

Wow, you're right. Perhaps he has dropped the price after unsuccessfully selling it for 3+ months. Maybe I should check with the price again b/c is he was originally asking $40k+ he would have to be pretty desperate to sell it for <$20k.

This car is also posted on

www.autotrader.com

asking $34K (reduced price). This car has been posted for a while back.

New tires, battery, timing belt, water pump and hoses. Navigation system, dvd player, 6 CD changer. After market computer chip adding 15HP. Chrome wheels. Radar detector. Always garaged and covered. Maintenance records available. This car is beautiful!!! Price just reduced to $34k

Last edited:
Wow, you're right. Perhaps he has dropped the price after unsuccessfully selling it for 3+ months. Maybe I should check with the price again b/c is he was originally asking $40k+ he would have to be pretty desperate to sell it for <$20k.

what. less than 20k???

you need to be really careful. i will suspect it's a 95% scam.

someone is selling a 91 salvage title for 20k. do u think a 94 clean title worth less than 20K?

I agree be very careful on this car. Definately have someone on NSXPrime who lives locally go check out this car and speak to the owner. I'd hate to be right but perhaps the whole "cancer" issue is a hoax but then again this could be an Acura family as there seemed to be a Legend parked in front of the house (shown in pictures) and maybe they do need the cash for medical expenses?

Tread carefully though.

P.S. I sold my 07 S2000 before I got my first NSX (a 91) and never regretted it. But I did eventually end up buying my 02 NSX.

too bad its 4hrs away or else i would go check it out for you.

Back