• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

New NSX in Richmond, VA

Re: New NSX in Richmond

WELCOME!

Very nice looking!

Re: New NSX in Richmond

Welcome! I wish I had a recommendation for a shop in Richmond as it is much more convenient for me than going north. I had one experience with Crown Acura for an O2 sensor covered under warranty. I called in advance to get the part ordered in, not expecting them to have it. They would not even look up the part number for me, wanted me to bring the car in one day for the technician to verify the fault and then order the part and come back in another time to replace it. Fortunately, Larry on this forum gave me the part number, called their parts department and ordered it under my name and then went down to have it installed. That part was painless but they do not have someone specifically trained on the NSX so while they can probably swap parts pretty well, doubt they have much ability to tackle anything complex.

Let me know if you do track down a good technician. I had asked in the community forum but didnt' have any luck.

Thanks to all. Go 'HOOS, Nate!

Tom, where do you autocross your Miata? I autocross my Formula Ford with VMSC [http://www.vmsc.org] at RIR and VMP. Would love to have you join us. Have you ever autocrossed the NSX? I thought I might try it a time or 2 just to get a better feel for the limits without guardrails or trees close by!

Dave, you and Tom live near one of my favorite roads, Rt. 522. I have driven it from Gum Spring to Front Royal several times and from Gum Spring to Madison numerous times.

David

Last edited:
Dave, you and Tom live near one of my favorite roads, Rt. 522. I have driven it from Gum Spring to Front Royal several times and from Gum Spring to Madison numerous times.

David,

I drive Rt 522 from Culpeper to Front Royal often on my way north to Pittsburgh. Drove Rt 522 from Gum Spring to Mineral a couple a weeks ago when I brought my NSX back from NC.

Dave

You buy that from Pohanka(sp?) Acura?

Bet that is the one they've had for sale for a while now. Nice car, think it was down to 42.9K asking which I thought was a pretty good price for what looked like a nice car.

Thanks to all. Go 'HOOS, Nate!

Tom, where do you autocross your Miata? I autocross my Formula Ford with VMSC [http://www.vmsc.org] at RIR and VMP. Would love to have you join us. Have you ever autocrossed the NSX? I thought I might try it a time or 2 just to get a better feel for the limits without guardrails or trees close by!

David

Mostly at RIR, I'm the old fart in a black Miata where they reset the clock to measure in days instead of seconds :( You'll also see me wife in the car, usually turning better lap times than me.

I asked on here about auto-xing the NSX and was pretty much told to not waste my time, it's just not competitive as it was built for a road course, not a closed course.

I belong to FredericksburgRoadsters.org and combatdad (Dave) is going to join us on 09/13 for the monthly bull session. Although it's not NSX oriented, lots of the guys auto-x Miatas, a Solstice, MR-2. Couple of vintage Vettes (65 & 67 I think). Basically anything bought to be a performance car is welcome. Be nice if you could come up, meet Dave and I (it will be the first time I've met Dave) and we can swap lies about our driving abilities.

I'm very blessed that I get to drive 522 almost every day.

Hey guys, John Komar down here in Raleigh, NC. I am combatdad's older (smarter and more handsome) brother. The following biography is for our resident certified NSX technician down here in Raleigh. Steve services NSX's from near and far here in North Carolina. Most of the owners down here won't let anyone except Steve near their cars. Consider bringing your cars down here for some really excellent service.

Steve Gooding is an NSX factory trained technician, an ASC certified master technician, and an Acura Certified Technician. He started with Acura in 1991 in Los Gatos, CA, for the Ted Stevens Dealership Group, where he started specialized NSX training. The first dealership client was Steve Wozniak (who owned 3 NSX’s, including one of the first automatics). Steve attended several training stints in Torrance, CA for NSX training and dismantling. (The first NSX off the production line is sent to tech school and taken apart for training purposes.) While at tech training, Steve also assisted on the tech line to better understand how the process works. Steve changed dealerships within the Ted Stevens Group, and also spent several years at their dealership in Sunnyvale, CA.
A position became available at Hopkins Acura in Redwood City, CA, and Steve took that opportunity as Shop Foreman, and later as Assistant Service Manager. This was a fantastic opportunity because Hopkins Acura was the #1 NSX dealer in the country at the time. They were also a Comtech authorized installation center, covering such things as Superchargers, suspension, and carbon fiber add-ons. This was very different to factory work, but just as enlightening.
During this time, Steve owned P.R.E. (Performance Racing & Engineering). The shop, which primarily serviced Buick Grand Nationals, became very successful, working to modify and preserve the American muscle car.
The cost of living and many other factors brought the Gooding family to North Carolina, where Steve went to work at Autopark Honda and Leith Acura. Here, the number of NSX’s he serviced dropped from 3-4 per week to 1-2 per month. Also, they already had a very qualified technician working on them as well, and Steve and Craig shared the NSX work at the dealership.
Never one to sit idle, Steve opened Realty World Partners, a real estate brokerage firm. This career has given him continued success in business, and keeps him busy. To conitinue servicing the needs of his personal automotive clients, he has a 3-bay shop, a full set of tools, and a hydraulic lift, at his home in Raleigh. This side work enables him to keep his clients happy, and keeps his interest in automotive performance alive as well. Side work is by appointment only. Steve does everything from timing belts to clutches to minor suspension work, and even some electrical work. Electrical issues used to be his specialty, but without factory ETM’s, this has been difficult. (If ETM is available, something could be worked out).
Steve looks forward to meeting people with a similar interest in Honda/Acura, and a respect for performance automobiles. Drive hard and stay safe!

Looks nice!

I've been taking my NSX to Crown for the past 3 years. No complaints.
I've had them replace my timing belt, water pump, shocks, change brake fluid, change out the tempature sensor, etc. Never any real issues.

As long as you stay with the 3 service writers who've been there forever, you should be okay. They rotate out a 4th service writer 2-3 times a year and the 4th person never seems to be any good.

I looked around too. I called Wallace but they have almost no NSX experience. I would trust them the change the oil, but TB/WP, etc there's no way. DC has a few huge Acura dealers, but that's a hike.

Thanks, Jon, for the info on Crown. Steve in Raleigh sounds incredible, but that is a pretty good haul unless you have another reason to be there.

Tom, look me up at the next autocross you attend. I will watch out for you as well. Thanks for the invite to Fredericksburg. I would love to come, but I will be in Indy that weekend with my older son at the MotoGP race. He has just started working as a chassis design engineer at Honda R&D in Ohio. (Hey, Nate. H is a 'Hoo too!) He sits next to a guy that did some of the design work on the NSX. He is very jealous of my purchase.

It is the car that Pohanka had. They dropped the price again to Blue Book trade-in so I couldn't resist.

It is the car that Pohanka had. They dropped the price again to Blue Book trade-in so I couldn't resist.

I was also very interested in this car a few months ago. They wouldn't come off the price back then.
I found it again on Autotrader and was getting ready to come up and get it. They told me they had a buyer that wanted to fly in from MI to buy car. That was a super price they finally came down to.
I was *THIS* close to getting it.:frown:
Congrats on a great purchase though !!!:biggrin:

I was also very interested in this car a few months ago. They wouldn't come off the price back then.
I found it again on Autotrader and was getting ready to come up and get it. They told me they had a buyer that wanted to fly in from MI to buy car. That was a super price they finally came down to.
I was *THIS* close to getting it.:frown:
Congrats on a great purchase though !!!:biggrin:

I drove up and bought it Tuesday night. The "guy from MI" was flying in Wednesday morning. Tuesday was the last day of their sales month. I was amazed at how busy that dealer was at 9:00 on a Tuesday night. I didn't leave until almost 11:00 and they still had more customers waiting to close deals. They claim to be the largest volume Acura dealer. They have a sales guy who races an NSX.

Welcome and Congrats on your purchase:smile:

I drove up and bought it Tuesday night.
Heh... I called 'em about it Wednesday morning. Would have flown down and picked her up had you not beat me to it! Nice find, and you couldn't have beat that price. Ad I saw was $39k and change. Enjoy it!

Heh... I called 'em about it Wednesday morning. Would have flown down and picked her up had you not beat me to it! Nice find, and you couldn't have beat that price. Ad I saw was $39k and change. Enjoy it!

Thanks. That was the price. They had dropped it $10k over the last couple of weeks.

How is it as far as deferred maintenance? A 2000 is due for the whole TB/WP routine regardless of mileage and when I called about it six weeks ago (right when I was looking) the somewhat uneducated salesman said he did not think it had been done but was not sure. At that time, they wouldn't budge off the $50K and said they had several people interested at that price - looks like a salesman may have lied :eek:.

Since there seems to be a few of us from the Richmond/surrounding area, maybe we could all meet up one weekend for a drive and photo session.

They assured me that the TB/WP had been done in the last 8 months. The car spent most of its life in TX. It was bought by a doctor in Gaithersburg in January. He traded it in on a TL at Pohanka. Pohanka has a salesman who has an NSX. He posts on here under John McCain Racing. I dealt primarily with the used car sales manager

Would love to get together sometime. I am in Short Pump.

Count me in. Mineral might be a good meeting point...at least between Reva and Short Pump.

Dave

Back