• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

New NSX - it's everything they say!

Hi from chilly Connecticut. I picked up this 3 owner 40K California car in June, and been driving and working on it / having work done since. I had it ceramic coated and swapped the wheels tires with '93 Volk racing rims that I had restored and a set of Yokahamas. I get why there's so much love for this car. My favorite car to drive of any car I've driven / owned, and the only thing that came close was maybe the first gen M3. The car is currently waiting on tie rod ends, but once that's sorted I'll be driving it right up until the first snow flake comes...

War Memorial Show 5.jpg

With New Wheels.jpg

Bring that puppy out to Caffeine and Carbs in New Canaan on the 23rd. I'll be bringing mine, I know a few other NSX owners will be there as well.

Welcome to the Prime forum, & also the awesome thing that is driving an NSX!
Good call on the rims - fat fives may be for the purist, but you have to give some consideration to aesthetics. It's clear to me that Honda designed them to be replaced by owners ASAP to have a variety of looks out there.
It's getting dark sooner these days; you will not regret switching to LED's if you drive after dark.

Last edited:
I have a shop that's intimate with this car going through it, and one of the things that came up was the driver's side tie rod end. I'm having both done to be proactive.

Well I got the correct Acura tie rid end, but the bushing is too small for the spindle. I'm wondering if the last owner changed out the spindles for something else. I'll get a pic this afternoon when the car's up in the air. Anyone aware of any aftermarket spindles that might required a larger bushing for the tie rod end?

Edit - getting to look at the car up in the air yesterday, what they were describing was this - when they removed the old tie rod end, the bushing in the hole on the receiver on the hub came along with, and to make matters more interesting, when they removed the tie rod end they put enough force on it to jam it hard into the bushing, to where no amount of heat or pounding would release it. I was going to take the part to an auto parts store to have it pressed out, but the owner finally took a shot at it with a torch and got it loose. While I was down there I got to take a good look at the entire underside, which looks in very good shape. Pics or it didn't happen...

Offending Bushing.jpg
Undercarriage.jpg

The oil is from the valve cover gaskets which get changed out Today. I should be able to pick up the car Tomorrow. Will be nice to have it back! :)

Last edited:
Car is back but the valve cover gaskets are still pending in shipping. If anyone has or knows how to get a set of OEM valve cover gaskets from a vendor in the US that would be outstanding. Otherwise I'll put a big piece of cardboard under the engine when it goes into winter storage.

Anytime I see a bushing come out stuck to the ball joint shaft, I always wonder what tool was used to remove the ball joint. The Honda "scissor" type (that you really want to use for the NSX ball joints) as well as the Schwaben ball joint tools I have for my E39 M5 all press on the shaft on the spindle and the bushing on the other...I don't think it is possible to remove the ball joint and have the bushing come out. But I could be wrong.

Anytime I see a bushing come out stuck to the ball joint shaft, I always wonder what tool was used to remove the ball joint. The Honda "scissor" type (that you really want to use for the NSX ball joints) as well as the Schwaben ball joint tools I have for my E39 M5 all press on the shaft on the spindle and the bushing on the other...I don't think it is possible to remove the ball joint and have the bushing come out. But I could be wrong.
It appears that with the right amount of pressure and a hammer anything is possible... ;-)

Well I got the correct Acura tie rid end, but the bushing is too small for the spindle. I'm wondering if the last owner changed out the spindles for something else. I'll get a pic this afternoon when the car's up in the air. Anyone aware of any aftermarket spindles that might required a larger bushing for the tie rod end?

Edit - getting to look at the car up in the air yesterday, what they were describing was this - when they removed the old tie rod end, the bushing in the hole on the receiver on the hub came along with, and to make matters more interesting, when they removed the tie rod end they put enough force on it to jam it hard into the bushing, to where no amount of heat or pounding would release it. I was going to take the part to an auto parts store to have it pressed out, but the owner finally took a shot at it with a torch and got it loose. While I was down there I got to take a good look at the entire underside, which looks in very good shape. Pics or it didn't happen...

View attachment 175188
View attachment 175191

The oil is from the valve cover gaskets which get changed out Today. I should be able to pick up the car Tomorrow. Will be nice to have it back! :)
I have the same valve cover gasket leak too. It's kind of a small leak. The previous owner had the valves adjusted for smog. Gonna get it fixed ASAP.

I have the same valve cover gasket leak too. It's kind of a small leak. The previous owner had the valves adjusted for smog. Gonna get it fixed ASAP.
That's interesting. This being a California car it was likely adjusted for smog. I'll share that with my mechanic and see if that would help. We're also replacing the valve cover and VTEC gaskets, but at the same time I'll have them check the valve timing.

What’s always upset me the most about this car is there is little info you can find about the engine. This isn’t just a dohc J35 with turbos, it’s a brand new 75 degree V6, that’s doesn’t make a monumental amount of power but still, that is used in no other vehicle I know of yet I have found almost no info about it.
routerlogin
watch IPL

Last edited:
What’s always upset me the most about this car is there is little info you can find about the engine. This isn’t just a dohc J35 with turbos, it’s a brand new 75 degree V6, that’s doesn’t make a monumental amount of power but still, that is used in no other vehicle I know of yet I have found almost no info about it.

You can get some info from Acura dealers who will still service the car, and are usually uncharacteristically excited to see one. Better yet find a mechanic in your area that's aware of this engine and how to work on it. Mostly the issue is with finding parts.

Last edited:

where are you located?

Back