• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

New NSX owner....1991 with a kenne bell

A close friend of mine just won a 1991 NSX for $30....im trying to help her on finding out more of the history of the car and im doing my best to talk her into repairing and replacing some of the "junk" on the car.

The VIN is JH4NA1156MT000445

Nothing really comes up, other than an old ad for the sell.

Is there a place to start??

A close friend of mine just won a 1991 NSX for $30....im trying to help her on finding out more of the history of the car and im doing my best to talk her into repairing and replacing some of the "junk" on the car.

The VIN is JH4NA1156MT000445

Nothing really comes up, other than an old ad for the sell.

Is there a place to start??

You came to the right place. :) I just saw your post on FB. That is a heck of a story and your friend is quite lucky. I did a quick check and this car hasn't been referenced on Prime by the VIN, but most likely there is some history here. Maybe one of our members will know of the previous owner. I agree that the car looks a bit "ghettoed" out, but it's nothing that can't be replaced/restored. Parts are quite plentiful. If the car has been local for a while, you might also try calling the local Acura service departments and see if they can give you info on its service history.

The NSX tolerates supercharging quite well (assuming it is tuned correctly) and "low boost" cars (~ 6 to 7 psi) can be returned to stock with almost no real adverse engine effects. Higher boost and/or bad tuning can cause internal engine issues- it's an open deck block with graphite head gaskets. I would do a compression and leakdown test for starters. Check the CV boots for leaks, inspect the clutch master cylinder for leaking (wet carpet under the pedal). Even on a Honda, these cars are 30 years old, so a lot of stuff is reaching the end of useful life and will need to be replaced. Based on age and mileage (and assuming an unknown service history), it's due for a TB/WP job.

I'd also pull the fenders and quarters to inspect the frame- look for excessive amounts of bondo/undercoat and weld seams in places they shouldn't be. Same check on the the side sills/frame rails- look for repairs there. The body repair manual has lots of measurements to check if the frame has been bent. Might be worth 5 minutes to take some quick measurements. This is more of a safety issue than anything- a compromised or improperly repaired unibody can lead to serious injury or death if the car is hit again. If the frame is jacked, it might not be worth it.

a previous owner actually ended up being local to her! He's reached out and we are going to take the car by him to give us some insight on it.

Back