• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

New NSX owner in NJ. 91 BB

Hi Prime!
A short introduction about myself; My name is Mike from Central New Jersey. I have been on prime for almost a year, just looking around, gathering information about the NSX. This weekend I finally drove my first one and ended up purchasing it. It's a 91 BB with 70,000 miles.

I am definitely in love. The car is so well built, and the build quality is amazing for a 91. Feels and drives like a modern car.

Here are some pictures! Just some quick pictures from my phone:
20120421_162032.jpg

20120421_162009.jpg

20120421_161957.jpg

20120421_161944.jpg

20120421_161934.jpg

A few questions for you guys:
1. The car comes with non diameter staggered, so they are 18s" all around. Does this affect the handling at all?2
2. People running larger than OEM sized wheels, do you guys have to turn TCS off everytime you drive?
3. This is my first car without PS, i feel like its so much harder to throw the car into a turn, I have to wrestle with the steering wheel in order to keep it turning I feel like. Any other thoughts?
4. Where do most of you guys buy your OEM parts? I would like to replace the fuel pump.

Thanks in advance guys.
Regards
Mike

Congrats on the purchase. Check the wiki section out on the wheels/tires and tcs problem. I had the same issue when I looked up to check to see if my SSR's off my s2000 would fit the nsx. I ended up just buying different sized tires to fix.

Also I think I sold you my front brake pads...assuming you're using the same id from s2ki. Good luck with everything.

Ben

Re: New NSX owner in Central NJ. 91 BB

Congrats on the new car, as for the tcs mine does the same thing I just turn it off before I drive I believe that with the right size combination it won't go off there's a sticky somewhere on here about that. For the fuel pump I used a 255 walbro it's was much cheaper than oem and does the job. It's what I see most ppl use when they go turbo

welcome,18's all around is an uncommon setup. 17's all around is more common and was the standard for oem 02 and up.18/19 is more common.What size tires are on the car now,and what suspension?

Congratulations Mike! Your car and wheels look great. I really like the smoked corner markers and how they blend in with the black body panels.

You can find answers to your wheel related questions in the wheel forum. As for the lack of power steering, you will find that you'll adapt pretty quickly. I do not recall that being an issue for me in my '91 after the first week.

Here are a couple of sources for OEM parts:

http://www.oemacuraparts.com/
http://www.acuraoemparts.com/

Enjoy!

1. The car comes with non diameter staggered, so they are 18s" all around. Does this affect the handling at all?2
2. People running larger than OEM sized wheels, do you guys have to turn TCS off everytime you drive?
If you are using the proper tire sizes (so that the outer diameters and stagger are close to stock), the TCS should not be activating. Check and make sure your tires are 215/35-18 front and either 265/35-18 or 275/35-18 rear. If not, I'd recommend replacing the tires with ones that size.

As for the handling, it's best if you can keep the difference in tread width in the 30-40 mm range, but this is not possible with 18"/18" wheels; the 215 and 265 is about the best you can do, and it should still handle reasonably well.

Last edited:
If you are using the proper tire sizes (so that the outer diameters and stagger are close to stock), the TCS should not be activating. Check and make sure your tires are 215/35-18 front and either 265/35-18 or 275/35-18 rear. If not, I'd recommend replacing the tires with ones that size.

As for the handling, it's best if you can keep the difference in tread width in the 30-40 mm range, but this is not possible with 18"/18" wheels; the 215 and 265 is about the best you can do, and it should still handle reasonably well.

Last edited:
Where in Central Jersey? Neptune here.

thanks for all the comments guys. i'm in east brunswick nj :)

I knew that looked familiar, I sent you a PM:wink:

EB in the house! :biggrin:

Alright guys, quick question, There has been numerous posts about this but I just wanted to make 100% sure before I go and make the purchase.

My windows go up extremely slow. But it goes down normally. What do I need to purchase? The hugo kit for $200 or the Dali kit which is only about $20? I want my windows to go up like new again!! Thanks in advance.

My windows were getting slow and I simply cleaned and greased the tracks & cables with a vast improvement (like new). I also helped someone install the hugo kit on a '91, and that did add futher improvement(faster than new). If you get the hugo kit, make sure it includes the teflon rubbing blocks. The blocks were not included with early versions of his kit, but early purchasers could request and get the blocks.

The Dali kit fixes a part that was problematic on the '91s.

I say buy both kits.

And, make sure you clean the old caked grease out of the tracks. Dip a rag in odorless paint thinner or kerosene, wrap it around a skiny object (a screwdriver or think stick) and keep cleaning until you get all the gunk out. Its can be a painfull and possibly bloody process fitting and twisting your hands/arms in the small door openings. But otherwise, you will not get all the possible improvements from the kits.

Last edited:
That's correct. They are two different problems. The slowness problem can be alleviated by cleaning and greasing the tracks and cables. The window retainers, which can be purchased from the always-reliable Science of Speed, prevent the problem in which the plastic regulator clips can break, disabling the power windows entirely (usually in the down position). If your car has never had the regulator fix-it's installed, buy a pair from Science of Speed and install them, to prevent having to replace the entire regulators.

Back