• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

New NSX to be an EV?

They will have to do better than the Hyundai N74.
I love that thing. It's like a cyberpunk 240sx.

After being in some of the faster EVs I am onboard with their performance and after listening to some of the mechanical mods EV racing cars are doing to add sound (think 90s F1 cars) I'm looking forward to what they come up with.

This car is running a mechanical sound generator. It's just version one but it's an interesting idea for EVs in the future.

Sold if it looks at all like my NA1 - don't forget the convertible! Hopefully the NE(?) doesn't have as long a gestation as the NC1 did.
Electric car traits seem antithetical to the original NSX and Honda does seem late to the EV game, but I'll remain hopeful. Bring it on!
I hope they prioritise weight and handling over long range. Lots of better vehicles for a road trip are already available.

Last edited:
Gen 3 will appear much faster than the NC1, which basically had to be designed twice before it was released. Honda has been working on the platform for a while. I expect it to appear when they make their big splash of GM/Ultium EV models (2025 Tokyo Auto Salon maybe?). However, I think the NSX will not use the baseline Ultium architecture and will be more of a bleeding edge tech demonstrator using Ultium-derived technology. I'm still calling the high-performance Fuel Cell as the key technology component for the Gen3. Honda has been all-in on FCEV for almost 20 years and they aren't going to simply abandon all of that work. Fuel cells are they key breakthrough to finally solve range anxiety issues with EV. No one is going to sit at a rest stop and wait 3 hours for their car to charge.

Don't fuel cells run on hydrogen? Waiting to recharge could be a dream compared to searching for a hydrogen station.

Last edited:
Don't fuel cells run on hydrogen? Waiting to recharge could be a dream compared to searching for a hydrogen station?
Japan is building a massive H2 infrastructure for all of the main islands. They plan to eventually replace all LNG, coal and oil with it by 2050.

For the US it will be more challenging, but the recent inflation reduction act put billions toward building out a H2 (green and blue) infrastructure. Unlike Japan, the main US goal (along with Europe) is to replace our LNG infrastructure with H2. So , your furnace burns H2 instead of LNG, for example. Private vehicle transportation is not a goal.

If the Gen 3 is a FCEV hypercar, I'll be interested to see how they market to US customers. Maybe the FCEV is Japan-only and the US version is a plug-in?

Y'all actually believe Honda will make the new nsx all electric and look like an NA1? You guys are dreaming come on. It would be nice but not gonna happen.

Electric car traits seem antithetical to the original NSX
Again the Hyundai N74 is pretty much that "new EV NSX" (or more like "new EV De Lorean") in spirit. Next-gen power generation, timeless Giugiaro design (that inspired the De Lorean by the way), pushing the limits of current mainstream technology. Honda has been disappointing so far in the EV game (the Honda E looks really fine but has terrible range) - I'm a car enthusiast, I'd buy that N74 if the price was not out of my reach (and if they make as a production model of course).
Honda has demonstrated they have no brand identity anymore. They wont ever make anything that looks even remotely like the NA NSX. I really hope that changes someday, but so far they have not shown any hint of going in that direction. Meanwhile Koreans are killing it by taking actual risks. and yeah fuel cell technology is the way to go to solve the charging time issue.

A fuel cell NSX would make sales of the NA1/Na2 and NC1 look brisk. My Tesla Model S charges plenty fast at the 250 KW Tesla superchargers and the Porsche Taycan charges even faster at a high voltage charger. Building the infrastructure for hydrogen is much more problematic than building the infrastructure for chargers and then there is problem of producing the hydrogen. Hydrogen is the fuel of the future and always will be.

A fuel cell NSX would make sales of the NA1/Na2 and NC1 look brisk. Building the infrastructure for hydrogen is much more problematic than building the infrastructure for chargers and then there is problem of producing the hydrogen. Hydrogen is the fuel of the future and always will be.
This. Compressing the hydrogen for storage needs too much energy. Green hydrogen is a myth for automobiles. The tailpipe emissions may be water, but the energy required to make it and compress it means it only make sense where you are trying to move your pollution, not reduce it, so maybe aeroplanes & rockets. It's like EV's running on coal-generated electricity. Kind of reminds me of Ethanol in gasoline. Maybe cheaper, but there's less energy in it, so less MPG, and the emissions to make it turned out not be any better than gasoline.

EVs can run on electricity from any source - hopefully electricity generated by burning fossil fuels will be a thing of the past soon but we will have to acknowledge that nuclear is part of solution.

I live in countries where electricity is indeed not generated by coal... And it's a growing trend in most developed countries. Makes the energy generation an easier problem to solve - meanwhile individual vehicles are all clean. It's always a better solution than fossil fuels. Again, NSX badge should imply avant-garde technology, and this is the future.

Gen 3 will appear much faster than the NC1, which basically had to be designed twice before it was released. Honda has been working on the platform for a while.
Except we probably have a global economic catastrophe building that will be every bit as disruptive as the one that threw off Honda's original NC1 plans.

Back