• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

New Owner Atlanta, Georgia area!!

Hello all! Long time lurker; first time NSX owner! Got myself a beautiful 1991 NA1 NSX from Japan so steering wheel on the right. It is auto but hey; still better than no NSX. AND only has around 10k original miles! And fully stock! With that said; I am hoping to get involved in the NSX community and to get together with anyone else in the ATL GA area that has an NSX and go to events and just ask general advice! Thank you all!

Hello all! Long time lurker; first time NSX owner! Got myself a beautiful 1991 NA1 NSX from Japan so steering wheel on the right. It is auto but hey; still better than no NSX. AND only has around 10k original miles! And fully stock! With that said; I am hoping to get involved in the NSX community and to get together with anyone else in the ATL GA area that has an NSX and go to events and just ask general advice! Thank you all!
Welcome to NSX Prime! No need to apologize for the automatic- there is nothing wrong with an auto- it's still a NSX. Atlanta is a great area for NSX owners and has an active local community- NSXPO is in Atlanta this year!

Make sure to post pics of your new ride! We're here to help you with anything you might need!

A note on the auto trans- like the rest of the NSX it's really an incredible system. Unlike the "slushbox" transmissions in most autos, the NSX auto trans is more like an "automatic-manual" transmission. Instead of one clutch like in a manual, it uses four clutches- one for each gear. It operates very similarly to modern DCT systems, where it uses hydraulic line pressure to actuate the clutches. This gives you a nice, crisp and direct gear shift. It will even hold you in a lower gear for optimum torque coming out of a corner. Enjoy it!

The main killer of the AT are those same clutches. Like any clutch, the clutch discs wear away and that disc powder goes into the filter. Eventually the filter gets clogged and you will lose line pressure, which will eventually shatter the clutches from "slam shifting". Luckily, you only have 10k miles, so you're a long way off from that. One way you can keep a lot of the clutch dust out of the system is to change the AT fluid regularly. Like every 10-15,000 miles. While the ATF itself will last as long as 50,000+ miles, you have to think about it as removing dirt versus replacing worn out fluid. This will extend the life of the transmission well past 100,000 miles.

Welcome to NSX Prime! No need to apologize for the automatic- there is nothing wrong with an auto- it's still a NSX. Atlanta is a great area for NSX owners and has an active local community- NSXPO is in Atlanta this year!

Make sure to post pics of your new ride! We're here to help you with anything you might need!

A note on the auto trans- like the rest of the NSX it's really an incredible system. Unlike the "slushbox" transmissions in most autos, the NSX auto trans is more like an "automatic-manual" transmission. Instead of one clutch like in a manual, it uses four clutches- one for each gear. It operates very similarly to modern DCT systems, where it uses hydraulic line pressure to actuate the clutches. This gives you a nice, crisp and direct gear shift. It will even hold you in a lower gear for optimum torque coming out of a corner. Enjoy it!

The main killer of the AT are those same clutches. Like any clutch, the clutch discs wear away and that disc powder goes into the filter. Eventually the filter gets clogged and you will lose line pressure, which will eventually shatter the clutches from "slam shifting". Luckily, you only have 10k miles, so you're a long way off from that. One way you can keep a lot of the clutch dust out of the system is to change the AT fluid regularly. Like every 10-15,000 miles. While the ATF itself will last as long as 50,000+ miles, you have to think about it as removing dirt versus replacing worn out fluid. This will extend the life of the transmission well past 100,000 miles.

Awesome! thanks so much for that input and that's extremely valuable advice! I will get a large gallon of ATF fluid and change it religiously. I haven't been under the car yet but I also believe that the transmission has a drain plug for ease?

And yes! I did notice the AT is super crisp! It was actually amazing when I first accelerated hard and didn't notice any lag! Thats a great explanation! Does the Atlanta NSX group have a FB group by any chance?

NSXPO intrigues me. Definitely wanna go! Got some significantly better pictures that these in the editing room. Will be posting them once done!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-02-07 102956.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-02-07 102956.jpg
    155.9 KB · Views: 15
  • Screenshot 2023-02-07 103027.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-02-07 103027.jpg
    149 KB · Views: 14
a sebring rhd jdm auto is a rare bird ...definitely join the nsx club of America(nsxca) and sign up for expo when the time comes.Have fun. Imagine all that pep is only 250 hp..

Welcome to the forum!

NSXPO is in Atlanta this year (last year was AZ, OR before that) so your timing is perfect to hop right into the deep end of the NSX community. The car is amazing but the community is second to none.

I don't see enough of these in silver and forget how amazing the color is.

Contact the NSX Atlanta FB page. Still a little slow for a major Metropolis but getting better. We had 12 cars show up for parade laps around Road Atlanta last month.

Hello from a fellow ATLien! Your JDM car is amazing. I live in North Fulton and with any luck will be piloting around my own NSX in the next few weeks or so. If you ever want to meet up, there's a great show that isn't caffeine and octane with some NSX's in regular attendance. Real car folks and good times.

Back