• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

New owner. Lots of questions.

Thanks to some of the members here helping me out with figuring out best prices and such, I just picked up a 2018 last Wednesday before Thanksgiving and have been grinning from ear to ear since. I absolutely love the car so far and am so thankful for this forum, but after STFF most of the day today, I still have some questions I hope you guys can answer.

1. I picked up the car very late in the evening and the GM had the car owner's manual booklet locked in his office so all they could give me for now were the keys. I have also heard of a replica scale model of the car being included with the owner's package. What else should I make sure I pick up when I go back there?
  2. I don't understand what the "brake hold" button does. With the owner's manual I'm hoping someone here can shed a light.
  3. Does anyone sell accessories for the new NSX? Like a phone mount? I can't seem to find anything at all.
  4. I love launch control and how easy it is, but is there a way to warm up the tires (like a burn out)? Brake-by-wire seems to have thwarted that completely.
  5. I've hear this thing can do EV driving upto like 30mph or so, but even in "Quiet" mode the motor seems to kick in for me all the time almost right away. Is there a trick to keep it in EV?
  6. I plan to have the silver trim piece in the front painted body color (Black). Anything I should know about removing that piece for paint?

Overall I'm extremely happy with my decision (even though I don't really have room in the garage for an additional car right now and my wife is not at all amused).
Cheers

Thanks to some of the members here helping me out with figuring out best prices and such, I just picked up a 2018 last Wednesday before Thanksgiving and have been grinning from ear to ear since. I absolutely love the car so far and am so thankful for this forum, but after STFF most of the day today, I still have some questions I hope you guys can answer.

I picked up the car very late in the evening and the GM had the car owner's manual booklet locked in his office so all they could give me for now were the keys. I have also heard of a replica scale model of the car being included with the owner's package. What else should I make sure I pick up when I go back there?
I don't understand what the "brake hold" button does. With the owner's manual I'm hoping someone here can shed a light.
Does anyone sell accessories for the new NSX? Like a phone mount? I can't seem to find anything at all.
I love launch control and how easy it is, but is there a way to warm up the tires (like a burn out)? Brake-by-wire seems to have thwarted that completely.
I've hear this thing can do EV driving upto like 30mph or so, but even in "Quiet" mode the motor seems to kick in for me all the time almost right away. Is there a trick to keep it in EV?
I plan to have the silver trim piece in the front painted body color (Black). Anything I should know about removing that piece for paint?

Overall I'm extremely happy with my decision (even though I don't really have room in the garage for an additional car right now and my wife is not at all amused).
Cheers

The "brake hold" is activated by pressing the button while your foot is on the brake pedal. Afterwards, whenever you are at a red light you can take your foot off the brake pedal and the brakes still stay applied. I like it as my commute is in stop and go traffic.

There aren't many OEM accessories for the car, and the one's that are available are overpriced. However, Science of Speed does sell some goodies.

It isn't possible to do a "burn out" due to the AWD and hybrid layout. However, the OEM Conti's suck and it's easy to get the rear to slide out.

Trying to drive in "EV" only is a test in right foot fragility. I can feather the car for half of my commute in EV, but it's difficult.

Instead of painting the "beak" you can just get it wrapped in any color of your choice. Some people have done a 'CF' wrap, and there are a few aftermarket real CF replacements.

I can't offer any suggestions about the wife situation.

Thank you for the great replies. I will definitely take your advice on the wrap vs paint. And I got the EV mode to work with "feathering" the throttle. I feel like I have unlocked an achievement: "Travel 500 yards in EV mode".

Couple of more questions:

1- My FM radio stations have horrible reception. Is there an Antenna trick? I have one local FM station that I listen to and it's not available any other way.
2- What tires do you guys recommend? I know Acura has the option for the Trofeo r but I assume there are much better options out there.

Thank you for the great replies. I will definitely take your advice on the wrap vs paint. And I got the EV mode to work with "feathering" the throttle. I feel like I have unlocked an achievement: "Travel 500 yards in EV mode".

Couple of more questions:

1- My FM radio stations have horrible reception. Is there an Antenna trick? I have one local FM station that I listen to and it's not available any other way.
2- What tires do you guys recommend? I know Acura has the option for the Trofeo r but I assume there are much better options out there.

FM?? sorry I dont use that band :) I guess our antennas are not great.
Michelin P4S is the tire to get for daily driving.

As for your other questions they were mostly answered. I use my portable phone mount that attaches to the vents with a magnet. Or I just leave the phone in the center section.

One big reason I don't drive my NSX much ..... NO AM radio! LOL Congrats! (Sorry, I am old cake, born in the 70's ... lol )

So, if a guy born in the 70's is "old cake", what is a guy like me born in the 50's? "petrified cake"?...... feeling old, but I got me a cool supercar that makes me feel young again!!!!!

One big reason I don't drive my NSX much ..... NO AM radio! LOL Congrats! (Sorry, I am old cake, born in the 70's ... lol )

Jesus man! Born in the 70s?!! How are you even alive right now?! Must be a pain dragging that oxygen tank in and out of the coupe every day. I was born in the 70s dude. We're not old. I feel like I haven't even piqued yet. Talk to me in 2038 and by then I'm sure I'll be considering AMGs again ;)

brake hold is a random feature that you never knew you were missing out on.

most of the time, assuming you're driving around, by the time the engine is warmed up and ready for launch mode, the tires should be ready too.

an extremely light right foot is required to keep it in eV mode. i feel like a jerk taking off from the light so slowly.

Thanks guys.
No one has answered my first question yet.
Other than keys, what should have come with the car? Manual? Other booklets? Scale Model? I need to know what to push the dealer for.

Thanks

from the dealer: owners manual, 2 keys, sketch with the options on your car

the scale model will be mailed to you in a few weeks.

You guys actually drive the car regularly in EV mode? Why?

The only time I use Quiet mode is in/out of my garage in the early morning or late at night.

trez, check to see if the dealer installed the battery tender on your car. Many dealers did as these cars tend to sit on the showroom floor for months. If so, make sure to get the battery tender when you pick up the car.

How do I determine if the battery tender was installed?

Back