• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

New owner of a R/B 92 in NorCal

Have posted up a couple replies and realized I should actually introduce myself. So, um, hi!

First things first -- here's the car. It'll look SHOCKINGLY unique around here (heh):
IMG_7801.jpg

I've been playing with cars for a while now - lots of miatas, but also have a couple of cars that will make this nsx feel young, and really this is my second "everyday supercar" experience since I also had a 996 turbo for a while. I autocross a lot and have gone down the wild modifaction route with other cars (I just sold my autocross miata that had 400+ hp) but the nsx will be staying stock (except maybe for a JDM gearset) and used as a street car.

I'm going through the car (with a big assist from Foreign Affair in Santa Clara), it has a LOT of the common nsx needs: replacement SRS unit, radio, transmission (it's in the snap ring range but more importantly has an ugly noise from the main bearing), etc. Steadily working through the usual helpful people and vendors here -- thanks to everyone who makes this venue possible and so useful!

One question, if I may: I don't see any buttons to PM forum users on nsxprime. Is that perhaps because I'm blocked as a noob, or are PMs globally disabled, or am I just having UI blindness?

Thanks all!

Welcome to ownership. The car looks nice. Even though my car is Monte Carlo Blue Pearl I remain partial to the original red / black and don't mind the fat five wheels.

You can send a PM to a member by clicking on their name in a message window; but, you are blocked as a new user from sending PMs until you hit a post count which I think is around 20.

[MENTION=37564]geewiz[/MENTION]

Congratulations and welcome.

Here are many of my thoughts on the NSX and various resources. I have a 91 with the JDM short gears and the 4.235:1 NSX-R final drive. Don't be "scared" by the gear ratios on the JDM shorties and the NSX-R final drive. Only a few hundred more RPM at 80 mph while cruising on the highway than even the 6-speed...USDM and JDM 5th gear is the same...the only difference is the 4.062:1 vs the 4.235:1 NSX-R final drive...but it makes a nice difference when canyon carving (or doing something like Tail of the Dragon) when you are in 2nd or 3rd and get the short gears and the final drive "bump"...keeping those RPM higher means the engine is making more power which is nice for "pulling" out of the corners!!!

http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showt...to-new-NSX-Owners-(and-maybe-some-not-so-new)

Thanks for the first-hand experience w/ the JDM gears! I'm certain that I will prefer them based on just one on drive on the stock gears. I hesitate a little because the rest of the car is and will stay stock so it seems odd (and maybe bad for resale value) to have non-stock gear ratios, but at the end of the day: my car, my rules, right? :)

Thanks for the first-hand experience w/ the JDM gears! I'm certain that I will prefer them based on just one on drive on the stock gears. I hesitate a little because the rest of the car is and will stay stock so it seems odd (and maybe bad for resale value) to have non-stock gear ratios, but at the end of the day: my car, my rules, right? :)

The JDM gear set has been going in and out of stock the last year or so. I'd reach out to Christian at ATR Racing or Marc at MITA Motorsports and get on a list for when they come back in stock. Technically the JDM gear ratios are "stock" gear ratios, just for a different market. But to ease your worry a little bit, the JDM gear set swapped transmissions actually have a higher demand than the USDM ones when the transmissions themselves come up for sale. I don't think the difference in resale value would change much in either direction as a result of having the JDM gear set installed, but if you do the swap just keep your USDM gears and then if you ever sell the car give them to the new owner and they can decide if they want to swap them back in.

Welcome to Prime!

Another perspective: I installed the JDM gear stack on my 91 (or, rather, LarryB did), but I kept the 4.062 final drive gear. I found it to be quite nice- really wakes up the engine revs during daily driving, but you get the nice overdrive for the highway. You really need to think about the NSX 5-speed as a 4-speed with overdrive, like most sports cars from the 1980's. Thus, for me, 5th is the "interstate" gear and not much else. I'm also installing that same gear stack on my S-Zero project car. [MENTION=5544]VANSXTC[/MENTION] is right though, the 4.235 doesn't really add that many revs- it's not too bad. At my home track, High Plains Raceway, the JDM+4.062 puts me in the correct gear at each corner.

Congrats and welcome! There's a huge NSX representation in NorCal and bay area, so you should have plenty of resources. I live in Los Altos and another NSX owner lives down the street from me. We're happy to help with anything you need, don't hesitate to PM.

Welcome to the NorCal NSX group!

Back