• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

New owner of Formula Red 1991 - my first NSX!

Back when I was 15 I worked at a body shop doing repairs on exotic cars. I remember a 1992 NSX rolling in one day, the owner wanted a set of side skirts and new aftermarket bumpers installed on his Formula Red car. After a really long time not hearing back from the guy, we found out he was in jail for dealing drugs and the owner of my shop put a lien on the car to cover the work. This was 1998. At one point he offered it to me and my dad for $17k. I was 14, so it wasn't really my decision, and my dad was more of a BMW guy. He passed.

We've been thinking about that car for the last 20 years.

Last week, I finally bought my own. This is after coming in second on two BaT auctions, winning bids but not meeting reserve on eBay cars, and negotiating with a couple vehicles I eventually walked away from due to somewhat suspect service history. My 1991 is wonderfully stock aside from the addition of a set of Bilstein shocks, Tein springs and larger swaybars. The seats are freshly recovered and the previous two owners kept meticulous records of engine maintenance. Every seal aside from the head gaskets on the motor have been replaced, along with belts, hoses and mounts. Its hard to believe this car is 27 years old when I'm driving it. Everything is so clean and tight.

Well, except the driver's side window motor. That needs help. And that awful stereo has to go.

Happy to have finally added one of my dream cars to my stable! Its amusing to park this next to "Brick" - my workshop hauler.

2018-02-11 11.50.22.jpg2018-02-12 17.07.41.jpg

Nice grab, and a long wait since you were 14.
I think I was 40 when I saw my first, maybe we were the age :smile:
Good luck on your car - be nice to it - be careful with it until you have learned it.

Back