• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

New owner (pretty long)

Hello everyone. If you look at my join date you can see that I've been a member of Prime for quite a few years. The NSX, in my opinion, is the Mt. Everest of cars. I've owned a bunch of them: TT Supra, 928S4, CRX's, Integra just to name a few. I've always been a fan of the NSX and have always wanted one but never thought I'd be able to swing getting one (at least not in the near future.....maybe ten years from now). When I say I've always wanted one I've always wanted a 97 or newer Spa Yellow with a six speed. I prefer the pop up headlights to the 2002+ cars so that's what I was looking for.

I'd look at NSXPrime pretty frequently just dreaming, following the prices, and reading the forums. I have a wife and two young sons (three and five years old) so if I was being practical, this is not the best time to buy a two seat sports car (especially since we currently own a 92 Sunburst yellow Miata). Anyway back in early 2010 I saw a Spa Yellow NSX listed in the classifieds with 13xxx miles located in Indiana(I'm in New York). The car was listed for 45k so I made an offer of 43k. There were some deferred maintenance things that needed to be addressed so I thought 43k was an okay offer (certainly not a low ball). To my surprise the offer was accepted!

Okay, so now I've made an offer on a car and that offer has been accepted. I began formulating a plan to ask my wife for permission to purchase my dream car. It took me a day or two to work up the courage to ask her. She knew that I was sniffing around buying a TDI Volkswagen Jetta. Before I left for work one day I told her I need to talk to her about something (just to plant the seed). I told her it was nothing bad. She immediately asked me "what did you buy?" or "what do you want to buy?". I told her I'd talk to her later in the day.

Later that same day I stood with her in the kitchen and she said "What do you want to buy...an NSX?" She just threw that out there thinking that it was an impossibility that I would even entertain the notion of buying an NSX. When I said "yes" the look on her face was interesting to say the least. Thus began the selling process. She knew that I wanted an NSX. I've got a five gallon coin jar that I'm filling with change that's known as the "NSX fund". It should be known as the NSX sales tax fund because that sales tax is a killer. I told her that the amount was a fair price and that the car, while expensive, will hold its value for years to come. After hours of this she finally broke down and said yes.

Now came the time to figure out how I was going to get the car. I have a Tundra pickup truck that could easily tow the NSX but U-Haul wanted like 400 bucks for a one way trip car hauler. Scratch that idea. I could borrow a trailer to pull out there empty and then drive back. I could pay for the car sight unseen and have it shipped back but I really wanted to look at the car first. I decided that I would fly out with a friend's dealer plate that he was going to let me borrow with a return airline ticket just in case the weather was not favorable for driving a sports car in. This was February so the weather between New York and Indiana can be unpredictable to say the least.

I've always wanted to buy an NSX and drive back from the location that I bought it. That was my "dream". I woke up the morning I was to fly to Indiana to look at the car to find that it had snowed and was still snowing in New York. Not the best start of my trip. I had to snow blow the driveway to get out. I got out and drove to the airport, which is only about 20 minutes away. So what happens when it snows at airports? They cancel flights. To my surprise my flight was not canceled and left on time. That's a good sign. I landed in Indiana and was picked up at the airport by the owner of the NSX (Timothy). We went and looked at the his car and when I say it exceeded my expectations I mean it really exceeded my expectations. One tiny scratch near the gas filler door and a couple of minor scrapes on the lower front lip. Perfect! We made the transaction, I looked at the weather and I decided that I'd fly back since there was still snow over the northeast. Timothy agreed to let me store the car in his garage for a month or two until the spring when the weather would be better to drive back from New York. I again thought of shipping the car back but if Tim was going to let me keep it with him I figured it was safer in garage then in the back of a car hauler in the middle of March driving 800 miles. I had it insured so everything was safe.

The flight back was interesting to say the least. The snow storm in New York was a very powerful one. Powerful and fairly compact dumping about two feet of wet wet wet snow in the lower Hudson Valley (a friend that lives about 30 minutes north of me got nothing). The plane got diverted to Harrisburg, PA and I had to ride a bus from Harrisburg to Newburgh, New York in a snow storm. I got to my car at the airport and drove home. The roads were horrible. Because of the heavy snow tree limbs were down everywhere and when I finally got home my power was out. Some of the older folks in my neighborhood said it's was "the worst storm they've ever seen". Good thing I didn't drive the NSX home. The power stayed out for about 4-5 days. I spent those days keeping a fire going in my fire place to keep my house above freezing and cooking noodles on sterno. It was so bad that I could not even get out of my driveway because they could not plow due to the lines being down. To make matters worse the power company could not get into the neighborhood because the roads were not plowed. Catch 22!!

So the car is nine years old and had not had the timing belt/water pump done. That's not too good. I contacted Larry B who lives only about 45 minutes from me (perfect) and asked if he thought it would be okay to drive back. He said that it would not be a good idea to bring it to a race track but an easy drive should not be a problem. That put me a ease a little bit.
I finally picked a date to go and pick up the NSX. May 3rd/4th. Fly out on the third and drive back on the fourth. The car was titled in my name and registered (big sales tax hit) so I had everything I would need to drive back. The flight went without a hitch. I landed and was again picked up by Timothy who I promptly treated to a nice dinner for letting me store the car in his garage for the better part of two months.

Now I've never driven an NSX. I've sat in them, heard them run, but I have never driven one. This topic has been covered here before (buying a car you have never test drove). When I flew out the first time it was snowing so I could not drive it then. I guess I just "knew" that I would like it. The morning of the fourth of May came and I put the plates on the car and started my first journey in my new to me NSX. My first impression is how easy it was to drive. Pretty much like any other Honda that I've ever owned. Comfortable, good visibility, powerful. It was early morning when I left Indiana so it was still dark out. So started my 11-12 hour journey.

I've driven alot in my 42 years. Driven to Florida in one day from New York, to North Carolina more times than I can count etc etc. One thing that I notice is that when you drive a bunch of miles you tend to get hot spots (for lack of a better phrase) on your body. This was not the case with the NSX. It felt like I was sitting in a very comfortable chair which I guess I was. When it got light out I passed a car and noticed the guy next to me was taking a picture of the car as it passed on his camera phone. This was my first "gawking" experience. I had several more of those during the trip. Lots of smiles, some thumbs up and a bunch of quick head turns.

I hit some thunder storms on the way back (some pretty heavy rain) and I noticed that the front end was hydroplaning quite a bit or just getting light. The tires are good so that was not the problem. Maybe I'm just not used to having the engine behind me. Is that the way it always feels? I know the NSX can be tricky in the rain which is why so many of them have accidents in the rain. I was being hyper carful. Overall the drive went without incident. I made it home in about 11 hours, managed to get in the upper 20's (close to 30) for MPG and had a really great time. When I stopped to eat I had to sit so I could see the car. While I was walking away from the car I noticed I would look back a bunch of times (this syndrome has been talked about on Prime and I suffer from it).

I pulled into my driveway and was greeted by my three and five year old boys. I'm not sure how other kids do but my kids are tough on things. I've come to the realization that I can't have anything "nice" In a nut shell you could give my kids a brick of 6/4 titanium and they would figure out how to break it into a hundred pieces. I gave them explicate instructions not to touch anything and they were pretty good. I'm currently constructing a 24x28 garage to house my new ride in so the car is currently sitting in my parents garage safe and sound. I'm going to put a two post lift in the garage to keep the NSX off the ground and away from my two boys.

So that's the story of my new NSX. Thanks for reading it. The picture attached is the one I took leaving Indiana. More to follow. I look forward to many years of ownership. It is, and will always be my dream car. I'll never need another. Why climb K-2 when you've climbed Mt. Everest?

So how do I tell my wife about the TB/WP job the car needs? Any ideas?

Attachments

• Ninja 026-1.jpg
    Ninja 026-1.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 430
Last edited:
Great story. Just tell the wife the truth. The NSX should be pampered with regards to its maintenance schedule and that while it is a Honda it is still an exotic. Tell her she can refer to the NSX going forward as "the mistress". ;)

Nice read mate and congratulations on getting your dream car. I'd spend the $100-200 and have the car inspected (even though only 13,000 miles) to get your "baseline" of the car. I'm assuming no PPI was done!! Tell the wife after the PPI that the TB/WP should really be done pretty soon. I've been married going on 29 years now and always been very honest with my girl, a little white lie every now and then doesn't hurt. After all, when I ask her about a new dress, the response is always "I got it a while ago, you've seen it before" :smile::smile:

As for timing belt and water pump, your car is only 9 years old with 13,000 miles. I changed my TB/WP after 14 years and 24,000 miles and the thing was like new. I'm sure you have read volumes on this site on when to change TB/WP. Assuming the car has not been tracked nor do you plan on tracking the car, it is my personal view you can save $$ over time versus taking a big hit on the expense now. There is risk, but in my view its small in getting it done within the next year. Hard to find information on this site of timing belts that have let go. Such a low mileage car is a key influence for me on waiting a bit to do the TB/WP.

I'm sure others will weigh in now that I've made these comments. Enjoy your ownership of a truly beautiful car.

p.s. like the analogy about Mt. Everest.....

Great story.Now if you want to meet alot of the nsx owners in the NE follow Larry down to nsxstock in NJ on Sunday 5/16:biggrin: You will learn alot about your car in that one day and get to see many different mods.

Great story.Now if you want to meet alot of the nsx owners in the NE follow Larry down to nsxstock in NJ on Sunday 5/16:biggrin: You will learn alot about your car in that one day and get to see many different mods.
Not so fast Doc, let Larry B do the TB/WP first, an ounce of prevention...........he'll also do a thorough inspection and let you know what else needs to be done. You can't really call it a PPI of you own it, unless PPI stands for "Post Purchase Inspection". Enjoy the ride, nice color!!!

Not so fast Doc, let Larry B do the TB/WP first, an ounce of prevention...........he'll also do a thorough inspection and let you know what else needs to be done. You can't really call it a PPI of you own it, unless PPI stands for "Post Purchase Inspection". Enjoy the ride, nice color!!!

I'm a risk taker......:redface:

I wonder what you had to pay for sales tax? When I bring my car home I have to pay 18% tax.

Excellent story and we need more photos. I will have my own driving it home and purchasing story coming in the next week.

Welcome to ownership and thanks for the story. I know what it's like to have to sell the wife on the idea before a major purchase. :wink:

As far as the TB/WP goes, you could always sell the idea that it'll be a lot cheaper to get it done by someone like Larry B than the dealerships. Plus, it's like having your own personal "physician" for the car -- someone who knows it really well. I think most women can relate to having a trusted physician ...

Good luck and take good care of both - family and car!

I love reading posts like these - many similarities I suspect with many of us on our hunt, purchase, and delivery of this great car. And the patience required on all of these really taxed my limits!

The pic in my avatar is when I arrived home from the 6 hour drive I made from Charlotte the day I bought the car. My 3 year old was so excited he wanted a picture of that day!

Sounds like you have a great wife. As for breaking the news about the TB/WP, while I normally advocate "honesty is the best policy", in this case you might try; "Hon, they say if this maintenance isn't done then these cars have a tendency for spontaneous combustion"... :biggrin:

Many congrats on the purchase!! Jay

Congratulations for your purchase and the worthy beautiful story :smile: I like much to read the beautiful stories on the NSX, you have chance to have an understanding woman, i hope for she will not be jealous on the NSX because you soon will have much work (cleaning, will wax body… etc) :biggrin:, I wish you good road and good luck with this car of dream!!! :smile:
regards

Félicitations pour votre achat et pour la belle histoire digne d'un écrivain, j'aime beaucoup lire les belles histoires sur la NSX, vous avez de la chance d'avoir une femme compréhensive, j'espère qu'elle ne sera pas jalouse sur la NSX car vous allez bientôt avoir beaucoup de travail (nettoyage, cirer la carrosserie...etc), je vous souhaite bonne route et bonne chance avec cette voiture de rêve!!!

Last edited:
Good write up on your search/purchase travails! Glad you have your dream car.

I am one of those that now after reading more about the TB intervals would tend to side with DocJohn and Sidwac! I don't think you have to worry if you're not driving the car on a track at sustained high speeds and lots of high reving. I think anytime in the next year is fine. When you change it look at it - you'll have a hard time telling it from new. But you can't really tell from looks but really 13k miles is so few that it's hardly worn. You'll be fine. I know you're having fun!

Welcome aboard!

As for timing belt and water pump, your car is only 9 years old with 13,000 miles. I changed my TB/WP after 14 years and 24,000 miles and the thing was like new. I'm sure you have read volumes on this site on when to change TB/WP. Assuming the car has not been tracked nor do you plan on tracking the car, it is my personal view you can save $$ over time versus taking a big hit on the expense now.

This is not good advice. The Honda recommended interval is 9 years or xxxmiles. Honda states nothing about tracking or not tracking your car. It may be your personal view that it is ok to take the risk, but it's not your money that you're risking. No money will be saved over time if you wreck your engine.

Change the timing belt.

Nice story...congrats and welcome to NSX ownership.

The TB/WP needs to get done by age of the car, but I think you can delay it for a while based on the mileage (IMO)

Bram

Congrats.. and welcome to the Spa Yellow club. :biggrin:

Get the WP/TB done, it's a cheap price to pay for a peace of mind.

Last edited:
Great story and congrats on your journey!

My timing belt was 17 years old when I bought the car. Not that I'd recommend going that long, but I think you're fine for at least another year or two.

This is not good advice. The Honda recommended interval is 9 years or xxxmiles. Honda states nothing about tracking or not tracking your car. It may be your personal view that it is ok to take the risk, but it's not your money that you're risking. No money will be saved over time if you wreck your engine.

Change the timing belt.

I thought it was 90k or 6 years?

Thank you for taking the time and posting your wonderful story. Good read.

Get WP/TB changed -> wait for a nice sunny weekend day, take the top down, and then surprise the wife with a 45 min drive to the picnic spot and hand feed her grapes and some dessert wine. If after that, she is still not convinced that it was a good investment... then there is only one thing to do:

Imagine you are Rambo, and that you have to get a prisoner out of a heavily guarded camp. What do you do ? You place a couple of strategically placed charges, blow shit up to create a diversion while you sneak in and get ur honey out. Right ?

So go get her Rambo ! Just point out one of the Super Charger kits for sale on here (about $12K ?), and tell her "I WANT ONE !". I'm most certain that she'll drop the WP/TB concern, and focus on your Super Charger perversions. :biggrin:

Moral of the story: don't sweat the little stuff; it needs to be done, so get it done; if your SO is going to be a "worry head", then throw her some diversion to keep the "worry head" part of her brain occupied.

P.S. You just got the car (congrats!). Believe me, you'll be babying it for a minimum of the next 6 months. Your boys are very young. They obviously will not INTENTIONALLY destroy the NSX. But young ones inevitably get carried away while playing, and one day they will run past it in the garage, and a toy or a button on their jean will catch and hence will appear a 6 inch scratch that you'll want to weep over. I would dearly suggest you look at investing in a cheap car cover to protect against such mishaps, even if your baby will be garaged 100% of the non-driving time. $150 up front probably will save you the agony, and the time that it takes to get such accidents back to looking like it never happened.

My 2 cents. Congrats again !!

Last edited:
Thanks for all the replies to my post. Work has been busy as of late so I have not been able to get the car out that much. I'm going to have the TB/WP done as soon as my finances stabilize. I'm building my garage now and we are getting a bit over budget. I did manage to get pulled over already. See the attached photo. The cop let me off with a warning. Nice kid.

Attachments

• Garage 018-1.jpg
    Garage 018-1.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 229
Back