• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

New owner questions: Just got my 2004

Hi to all:

Just got my 2004 NSX...wow...what a rocket....and has only 60 miles on it!! But a few questions:

1. the front is very low and scrapes the curbing when backing out of garage....any tips on if it could/should be raised?
2. has anyone used the same tire size on the front as the rear?
3. can the rear tires be rotated? are they directional...have not checked....are there any suggestions for longer wearing rear tires other than oem??
4. are there other specs for the alignment that will help the wearability of the rear tires?
5. how does the NSX rate in performance against a Vette or Porshe or other performance cars? are there any comparisons....this baby really steps out....

Thanks for the info....

Uncle Paul
Las Vegas

1. Try backing out at an angle, you can get into pretty steep areas if you come in at a 45 degree approach.

4. Some adjustments can be made and other types of tires used that are harder, but when I bought mine I just got used to the fact that I'll replace my rears every 5000 miles or so.

cashmgt said:
Hi to all:

Just got my 2004 NSX...wow...what a rocket....and has only 60 miles on it!! But a few questions:

1. the front is very low and scrapes the curbing when backing out of garage....any tips on if it could/should be raised?
2. has anyone used the same tire size on the front as the rear?
3. can the rear tires be rotated? are they directional...have not checked....are there any suggestions for longer wearing rear tires other than oem??
4. are there other specs for the alignment that will help the wearability of the rear tires?
5. how does the NSX rate in performance against a Vette or Porshe or other performance cars? are there any comparisons....this baby really steps out....

Thanks for the info....

Uncle Paul
Las Vegas
1. You can't really raise the front end without screwing up the car. Your best bet is to go slowly and take driveways at a steep angle.
2. No. Bad idea and it would really honk up your car.
3. Don't know what tires you have on your car so that's tough to answer. You might be able to rotate them side to side but not front to back. There are plenty of good threads on this forum for longer wearing tires (Yoko AVS ES100's, etc) but keep in mind each one will not give you as crisp handling as the OEM tires do. There's a search function on this board that will lead you to a lot of very good information. Give it a try.
4. Again, lots of comparisons. Your 2004 compares well with a 355 Ferrari and a 996 (non-turbo) car in most comparisons. Your car has great acceleration, good handling, and good brakes. The top end isn't as impressive as some of the more "modern" cars but it's pretty damned good for a car first released 15-years ago. And your car is dead reliable, very rare and very comfortable. It took Ferrari until the 360 and arguably Porsche until the current 997 before performance really eclipsed our "old" cars. Again, the search feature will find you a lot more info.

Congrat's on the car. Keep the shiny side up and welcome to the cult.

I'm not trying to be smart or offensive, I'd just like to know... Most of the people on this board are true NSX enthusiasts. I have followed many through months long processes of finding the perfect car, and knowing everything there is to know about an NSX when they finally get one. Again, not trying to be offensive, but it doesn't appear as though you've gone through that process. My question is this; What made you choose the NSX? Was it the Honda reliability factor? Was is the memories of seeing one for the first time and promising yourself that you have one one day? Were you just car shopping and found that one? I'd also like to know if you looked at any other comparable cars before you decided on the NSX, and if so, what were they?

Either way, you ultimately have great taste and welcome to the club.

Congrats on the car.....getting a brand new 2004, they must have given you a pretty good deal. Was the car sitting at the same dealer the whole time?? I am guessing it was there at least a year and a half.

cashmgt said:
3. can the rear tires be rotated? are they directional...have not checked....
Your owner's manual is a good source of information for questions like this one.

I assume your car still has the Bridgestone Potenza RE040 tires on it, that came on the car from the factory. These tires should not be rotated. They were designed for the NSX, and for specific corners of the NSX. When you buy them, you have to specify a left front tire, a right front tire, etc.

cashmgt said:
are there any suggestions for longer wearing rear tires other than oem??
You just bought the car! You don't know how long the tires will last you, and you don't know yet how you will feel about the trade-offs when using a different tire. Drive the car, and enjoy it! See how you like the handling with these tires. See how long they last. Then let's talk.

cashmgt said:
Less rear toe.

cashmgt said:
5. how does the NSX rate in performance against a Vette or Porshe or other performance cars? are there any comparisons....
The only directly comparable tests are in acceleration. The NSX accelerates about the same as a non-Z06 C5 Corvette (that's the older one that was replaced this past year with the C6) and about the same as a 911 (excluding the turbo and GT3), all of which do 0-60 around 4.9 and the 1/4 mile in the low thirteens.

2Dobes said:
I'm not trying to be smart or offensive, I'd just like to know... Most of the people on this board are true NSX enthusiasts. I have followed many through months long processes of finding the perfect car, and knowing everything there is to know about an NSX when they finally get one. Again, not trying to be offensive, but it doesn't appear as though you've gone through that process. My question is this; What made you choose the NSX? Was it the Honda reliability factor? Was is the memories of seeing one for the first time and promising yourself that you have one one day? Were you just car shopping and found that one? I'd also like to know if you looked at any other comparable cars before you decided on the NSX, and if so, what were they?

Either way, you ultimately have great taste and welcome to the club.
Couldn't have said it better myself. Congrats!

thrifty...

Uhhh, yes... welcome back. . . :redface:

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54838
(I actually noticed you never came back to read the responses, as per your profile 'activity'... tsk tsk)

Well back to the 2003 NSX. Nice pick-up, if I had the same opportunity I would have given serious thought to acquiring the untitled-2004 as well for 72k.

Regarding tires, gasoline grades, and other consumables, it is generally recommended and advised to use OEM parts, dealer/certified-tech service/maint', inspection/replacement of parts-systems at exact time or mileage intervals (whichever comes first), 91 octane unleaded fuel, and blah blah blah.

You acquired high-performance, precision-crafted, hand-built, and uncompromised quality. Don't trivialize all that w/ a penny saved here, a penny saved there. Doing all the proper maint/service, upkeep, preventative care, and day-2-day wear & tear items properly dealt w/, your NSX has the potential to be the longest lasting car that you will ever have purchased... :cool:

A great quote from a car magazine in the 90's:

The NSX is actually a supercar you can throw around, but becareful... you can also throw it away.

Back