• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

New Shelby Mustang Unveiled

Not a Mustang guy, but this looks pretty nice to me. I'm sure it's fast in a straight line too.

Performance car icon Carroll Shelby and Ford Motor Co. will unveil the Ford Shelby Cobra GT500, the first Shelby Mustang in 35 years and the most powerful Mustang ever, Wednesday at the New York Auto Show.

The 450-plus-horsepower, supercharged, six-speed roadster, developed in conjunction with Ford's Special Vehicle Team, takes its design cues from the muscle-bound Shelby Mustangs of the late 1960s, just as the standard Ford Mustang looks to the same "muscle car" era.

"I've worked with the SVT guys for several years now, and I know they have the guts, the talent and the passion to deliver the best performance Mustangs ever," Shelby said in a statement issued by Ford.

The car shown at the New York Auto Show is, officially, a concept vehicle. But it closely resembles the Shelby Mustang as it will be produced for sale, according to Ford.

Shelby began creating high-perfomance Mustangs in partnership with Ford beginning in 1964, when he was asked to add some real performance to the company's new sporty coupe. Since then he has worked on several models, including 1968's GT-500KR, or "King of the Road."

Shelby parted ways with Ford in 1970, later working with Chrysler. His new partnership with Ford started in 2003.

Attachments

• shelby1.jpg
    shelby1.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 639
White92 said:
six-speed roadster
Roadster? No. Too many seats, too much roof. Not a roadster.

Still a nice looking retro car. I had a '69 fastback back in the day and this design is certainly reminiscent. Probably just as well we didn't have 450 hp as a ready option back then.

bodypainter said:
Roadster? No. Too many seats, too much roof. Not a roadster.
QUOTE]

Thank you. You saved me pointing out another example of marketing gone awry.

spartan2-3 said:
Nice but needs more "Hood/ Side Scoops", just like the original :cool:

Agreed. The more I look at it, the more I realized that it looks just like the regular Mustang that anyone can buy at the dealership. It looks like a stock Mustang with supercharger under the hood. They need to do more to set it apart.

They say it will cost just under 40K. I bet though it will be over that after "options".

I would be pissed if I bought a Ford GT and some $40K mustang came out using the same motor. I wonder how long it will take to turn up the boost and make the same HP as a car costing $100,000 more! :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Similar to this :cool:
68_GT350.jpg

Patdeisa said:
I read starting around $33-35k. It's one hell of a car for that price!
I'm sure the Cobra will be around that much, but who knows how much this car will be......Or maybe that won't make a Cobra. It will just be a Shelby Edition.

White92 said:
I'm sure the Cobra will be around that much, but who knows how much this car will be......Or maybe that won't make a Cobra. It will just be a Shelby Edition.
My understanding of the article was no SVT Cobra (as in the past few years), just the Shelby Cobra.

Holy $h!7 :eek: This thing will beat the crap out of the C6!

:eek: With more than 450 horsepower, the new Shelby Cobra GT500 is the most powerful production Mustang—ever.
Ford debuted another modern interpretation of an automotive classic, the all-new Shelby Cobra GT500, at the New York International Auto Show.

The new GT500 possesses classic Shelby design cues including dual stripes, aerodynamic body parts, and 19-inch wheels. In the performance department, the Shelby Cobra GT500 is the most powerful production Mustang ever built, with a supercharged 5.4-liter V8 that produces more than 450 horsepower, a 6-speed manual transmission and suspension tuned by Ford's Special Vehicle Team (SVT).

This new Shelby Mustang springs from a collaboration between legendary racer and performance car builder Carroll Shelby and Ford's SVT. After the partnership was announced at Pebble Beach in August 2003, Mustang enthusiasts speculated that it would simply be a matter of time before they would see the Shelby Cobra once again.

The Shelby Cobra GT500 show car that debuted in New York is finished in a classic bright red with dual white stripes running the length of the car up the center of the hood, over the roof and down the rear deck. Inside, seats and door panels are finished with red leather and gauges have a titanium finish.

Similar to the 2005 Mustang and 2005 Ford GT that embody many classic design attributes, the Shelby Cobra GT500 also is a thoroughly modern car with an aggressive racing style front splitter, 19-inch split-spoke wheels, cross-drilled brake rotors, and a rear spoiler similar to the one found on the GT supercar.

A production version of the GT500 will go on sale in 2006, followed by performance products from SVT that include the Ford Sport Trac Adrenalin, which also debuted at the New York Auto Show.

Picture of the 1967 Classic GT350:

Attachments

• SHELBY_GT350_RED.JPG
    SHELBY_GT350_RED.JPG
    76 KB · Views: 478
spartan2-3 said:
Nice but needs more "Hood/ Side Scoops", just like the original :cool:

I don't agree. Side scoops look rediculous on front engined cars. Unless you can proove they do something, they're just plastic ricer crap to me.

I think the new Mustang look like an ASS. I like the previous body style better. Plus, I hate this whole retro thing. It's like the old rock bands doing reunions. It's just not the same.

-ak

I totally agree. The 'new' mustang doesn't do anything for me. I keep saying it will grow on me but it hasn't. Just looks plane ugly to me, although the shelby edition looks a little less ugly than the base model.

I still think our 15 year car looks 100x better.

ak said:
I think the new Mustang look like an ASS. I like the previous body style better. Plus, I hate this whole retro thing. It's like the old rock bands doing reunions. It's just not the same.

-ak

Agreed. But you cant beat the price/performance rate of the 05 mustang and the c6.

Klayton said:
Agreed. But you cant beat the price/performance rate of the 05 mustang and the c6.

There is a huge difference between performing and performing correctly.

Ben Stiller is an actor and Sean Connery is an actor. They both get paid huge sums of money to "perform", and money is the "measure" of their art like numbers are to cars in a magazine. The difference between watching Sean Connery and Ben Stiller acting is ENORMOUS as is the difference between driving a buttoned down solid vehicle and the C6 or the '05 Mustangs.

I am not a huge fan of the mustangs in general,

but I prefer the Saleen examples of all the new ones....

less power than the shelby, but i like the looks more of the Saleen, this is from an eBay auction. sorta sexy

f7_4.JPG

ad_4.JPG

7f_4.JPG

slashmatt said:
There is a huge difference between performing and performing correctly.

Ben Stiller is an actor and Sean Connery is an actor. They both get paid huge sums of money to "perform", and money is the "measure" of their art like numbers are to cars in a magazine. The difference between watching Sean Connery and Ben Stiller acting is ENORMOUS as is the difference between driving a buttoned down solid vehicle and the C6 or the '05 Mustangs.
I think your analogy is flawed.

Both perform very well. Just in different ways. I do not think Sean Connery could have pulled off the parts of Derek Zoolander or Gaylord Focker. As a matter of fact, I think Sean Connery would have sucked trying to play those parts.

And at $39,000, I think that Shelby GT500 is going to be a killer deal for the performance you get. On the other hand, I think a new $90,000 NSX is lacking performance as far as HP goes (and outdated looks too). For $90,000, you could take that Shelby GT500 and throw another $51,000 in mods at it. Yeah, I think it'd be "buttoned down" and walk all over the stock NSX.

Deuce B said:
For $90,000, you could take that Shelby GT500 and throw another $51,000 in mods at it. Yeah, I think it'd be "buttoned down" and walk all over the stock NSX.

but at the end of the day, I'd still take the stock NSX without a second though.

Back