• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

New (to me) 1998 Kaiser Silver Coupe

Well, I suppose better late than never to create a rolling history for the recent purchase. Car was purchased in May 2014 from forum member Double-J.

It has been a long time coming. Tons of searching, several emergencies and family crises, and several years in the Middle East, have led me to own one of 3 USDM 1998 Kaiser Silver NA2 NSX Hard-top Coupes.

I've always drooled over them as a kid, and began searching diligently 3 years ago. That search was interrupted by the news of cancer in the family roughly 2 years ago. (That family member is now in remission. Thank our lucky stars!)
The search began again in 2013, but was again interrupted by the possibility of lack of purchase-funds. Once again, the search picked up in Jan. of 2014.

Finally, and just by chance, in April (2014) I came across what I hadn't realized existed: An NA2 *hard-top* coupe. (I had been under the impression that all NA2 NSX's were Targa models.) While, I suppose, that is somewhat true, considering only 15 Manual NA2 coupes were imported as USDM vehicles (aside from the Zanardi models.) ( http://www.nsxprime.com/wiki/Production_Numbers )

After that realization, I couldn't pass up the opportunity, and made the seller an offer immediately.

I should be returning state-side soon to pick up the new "toy". Then will make the cross country trek back to NC (from CA). I'm sure a few here may think that idea is a little crazy/far-fetched, and while, yes, it probably would be cheaper to ship it - I've never made the trip across the US, have plenty of vacation time, and cost isn't of too much concern. I figure, why not? Additionally, I can't think of a better way to get acquainted with it.

In the meantime, enjoy the pictures! Plenty more will follow in the coming weeks while I make the trip back to NC, from places like Angel's Highway, Pike's Peak, the Tail of the Dragon, plus others.

Current modifications:

18x7.5 ET40 /19x9.5 ET24 Volk GT-F with 215-35 / 275-30 Toyo Proxes T1R tires
JRZ Suspension Engineering Club RS 2-way adjustable dampers with 300 lb Hyperco springs
Anytime Racing/Borla exhaust
Comptech clutch (Powergrip I? Uncertain at this point.)
NSX-R chassis braces
Downforce NSX-R bumper undertray
Downforce NSX-R battery undertray
Okuyama rear strut tower bar
RM Racing intake
Downforce carbon fiber lexan-windowed engine cover
Downforce carbon fiber rear engine garnish
4300k HID headlight kit
Science of Speed brushed aluminum gauge bezels
Science of Speed Type-S shift knob

2qsc85j.jpg

iddbfm.jpg

2jbadd1.jpg

10mufpd.jpg

2gwxtkx.jpg

j66csh.jpg

219ul46.jpg

x1is76.jpg

Last edited:
What a find, beautiful car! It doesn't get much better than an NA2 coupe. Zanardis are great too, but what if you don't like red?

do you have a picture under the front hood? With the downforce battery under tray and no ducted hood, do you still get enough air flow through the radiator? I'd like to do the flat bottom too but don't want to have to get a new hood.

Last edited:
What a find, beautiful car! It doesn't get much better than an NA2 coupe. Zanardis are great too, but what if you don't like red?

do you have a picture under the front hood? With the downforce battery under tray and no ducted hood, do you still get enough air flow through the radiator? I'd like to do the flat bottom too but don't want to have to get a new hood.

Unfortunately, these are the only two photos of the area under the hood that I have at the moment.

As far as air flow THROUGH the radiator, logic (or at least my logical thinking, anyhow) would infer that the airflow would not be hindered. What I don't know, since I haven't laid hands on the car yet, is how much heat is retained in that compartment without a vented hood. If someone reminds me, I'll take temperatures once I have a chance, if anyone is curious.

And excuse my ignorance, but why would one need a new/replacement hood if using the NSX-R trays? Judging by the pictures, and the OEM hood, there is no fitment issues that I can notice.

View attachment 113560
View attachment 113561

- - - Updated - - -

Awesome!!! Congratulations!

Does it have a black roof?

Yes, Sir. It does.

Attachments

• 13595817403_6ceee8a7a6_o.jpg
    13595817403_6ceee8a7a6_o.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 1,201
Last edited:
The reason the hood is needed is because the air has no way to escape when the bottom is sealed with the undertray, or at least not as much can escape as without it. For air to flow through the radiator, the air needs to be able to evacuate as fast as it can hit the radiator, the ducted hood creates an opening for the air past the radiator to flow out of and even creates a bit of downforce (or reduced lift) in the process. Billy (stuntman), illwillem, etc would be able to explain better but this is my understanding of why the duct is needed when the bottom is sealed.

Removing the undertray is no big deal in case you start getting high coolant temperatures, you still have a magnificent specimen of an Na2 coupe and that's what really matters :cool:

Last edited:
A magnificent machine. If I remember correctly, the previous owner was a little reluctant to sell (like most) but obviously cared for the car a great deal. The proof is in the pudding, it looks amazing.

Congratulations!

Secondly, regarding the radiator air flow:
Think of the front compartment like a box with a hole for the rad, and a hole in the floor.
>As you drive, think of the hole in the floor like a vacuum and the hole for the rad like an air scoop!

Bingo-bango, airflow from high to low pressure. The worries of the comments mentioned above is that without a "escape route" for the ram air, you'll see less airflow through the rad.

In my opinion, I would imagine the reduction in airflow through your rad would be non-trivial. But, will it cause over heating? Likely not. The front compartment is far from being air tight, so even if there is less of a "vacuum" sucking air out of that compartment, the high temp, high pressure air will find a way!

The addition of the NSX-R ducted hood would add an "escape route" for the hot ram air to escape.

Cheers, welcome, and enjoy!

​Lucas

The reason the hood is needed is because the air has no way to escape when the bottom is sealed with the undertray, or at least not as much can escape as without it. For air to flow through the radiator, the air needs to be able to evacuate as fast as it can hit the radiator, the ducted hood creates an opening for the air past the radiator to flow out of and even creates a bit of downforce (or reduced lift) in the process. Billy (stuntman), illwillem, etc would be able to explain better but this is my understanding of why the duct is needed when the bottom is sealed.

Removing the undertray is no big deal in case you start getting high coolant temperatures, you still have a magnificent specimen of an Na2 coupe and that's what really matters :cool:

Thank you for the explanation N.O.W. - A Downforce "R" hood is likely in the car's future.

- - - Updated - - -

A magnificent machine. If I remember correctly, the previous owner was a little reluctant to sell (like most) but obviously cared for the car a great deal. The proof is in the pudding, it looks amazing.

Congratulations!

Secondly, regarding the radiator air flow:
Think of the front compartment like a box with a hole for the rad, and a hole in the floor.
>As you drive, think of the hole in the floor like a vacuum and the hole for the rad like an air scoop!

Bingo-bango, airflow from high to low pressure. The worries of the comments mentioned above is that without a "escape route" for the ram air, you'll see less airflow through the rad.

In my opinion, I would imagine the reduction in airflow through your rad would be non-trivial. But, will it cause over heating? Likely not. The front compartment is far from being air tight, so even if there is less of a "vacuum" sucking air out of that compartment, the high temp, high pressure air will find a way!

The addition of the NSX-R ducted hood would add an "escape route" for the hot ram air to escape.

Cheers, welcome, and enjoy!

​Lucas

Thank you as well, Lucas.

Last edited:
You know with a ducted hood you might as well get an NSX-R wing, and you know with a hood, and wing and under trays, you might as well get a rear diffuser... Yes, that's how it starts, lol, enjoy the ride! :biggrin:

I agree. Go with the whole package.

Congrats on the car! So beautiful and rare.

You know with a ducted hood you might as well get an NSX-R wing, and you know with a hood, and wing and under trays, you might as well get a rear diffuser... Yes, that's how it starts, lol, enjoy the ride! :biggrin:

I agree. Go with the whole package.

Congrats on the car! So beautiful and rare.

Funny you mentioned. Those are on the "To-Do" list as well. And I'm all too aware of the "circular file" affect. (I literally could have purchased this very NSX with the funds that have been applied to the Civic Si in the signature below. :facepalm: - The "Mod Bug" in my house is now part of the family, and is a beneficiary in my will.)

... Technically, I'm currently homeless. (I've been renting, for the sake of "ease", since I work overseas soo often.) So I've got a house to buy now that I'm fed up with working overseas :)

All in due time.

Last edited:
Wow, I am so envious! Congrats on that amazing looking rare NSX you have!

Thank you all. Much appreciated.

Now just don't attempt to steal it, and we'll all continue to live happy lives :)

Love this car. I'd have chased it if mine didn't appear last year. :)

Great find! NA2 coupe is the best of both worlds.
Doesn't hurt that it came with some nice hardware already too.

Beautiful car. It's funny I was just discussing the advantages of a coupe over a targa yesterday with my nine year old son saying that I'd rather have a coupe. It's a rare bird. Congrats.

Back