• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

New (to me) 1998 Kaiser Silver Coupe

Beautiful car. It's funny I was just discussing the advantages of a coupe over a targa yesterday with my nine year old son saying that I'd rather have a coupe. It's a rare bird. Congrats.

Too funny.

Though, I'll have to admit, I immediately thought "K series swapped" when I saw the "2006 CRV EX MT" in your signature. Those things, as you're likely aware, have a cult following.

Pike's Peak Tomorrow!

I had been watching this car from the moment it went up for sale.... seemed like no-one noticed it at first and I was hoping it would sneak by so I could get it after I got settled into my new house... oh well. Congrats on the rare find and hopefully you'll have many, many happy motoring miles! :encouragement:

Ok, 2 1998 Kaiser silver coupes in a month popping up here.:eek: I feel the jealousy starting to set in.:frown:

I had been watching this car from the moment it went up for sale.... seemed like no-one noticed it at first and I was hoping it would sneak by so I could get it after I got settled into my new house... oh well. Congrats on the rare find and hopefully you'll have many, many happy motoring miles!

You, and what sounds to be many, many others, were interested in the car.

That aside, sorry I haven't gotten a decent update together yet. I have roughly 2000+ pictures to organize into something coherent, so it will take me some time.

However, the LA to NC trip was quite awesome, aside from the realization that I needed two new rear tires roughly 1500 miles into the trip (-3* camber is much more excessive on highways than I realized). The realization that the car was low on refrigerant only AFTER driving through the hottest parts of the country also sucked a bit.

For the time being, I'll share a few photos from US-129 (Tail of the Dragon) in NC/TN:

1252kxu.jpg
2ih5vdc.jpg
2meza0m.jpg
723ggx.jpg
23u4c53.jpg
5a49ib.jpg
28s1pbl.jpg
Yes, that would be a speeding ticket... Unfortunately. (Not proud of it, to be honest.)
73gthj.jpg
2aguq7a.jpg
29zuk4.jpg
5uldfb.jpg
v5idmu.jpg
25qzxqe.jpg
2uglx60.jpg
14932h5.jpg
j9vrd4.jpg
j93uk4.jpg
4vjmfs.jpg
e9dzmh.jpg

Last edited:
Love this car, your rear tires look massive! What size are those?
I know, right? They're a 275/35/18. Though they do have a rim protector, which probably contributes to the overly wide look. The tires in the picture are what I had to purchase while on the road (was VERY limited in my choices.) I had to raise the rear by roughly an inch to clear the fenders by an acceptable-to-me amount.

Last edited:
Fronts are a 215/35/18 on a 7.5" wheel, rears are (as noted) on a 9.5" wheel. Still unsure of offsets.

Shoot, excuse me, rears are a 275/35/19

Congrats on your rare find. Truly a beauty.

Congrats! Beautiful...............

I'm curious what the coolant temp is with no hood duct. It must get hot under that hood. That worries me.
Temperature gauge seems to be where everyone else states that theirs usually is when the engine is warm. Unfortunately, I don't have an obd monitor at my disposal, so I can't provide exact ECTs.

Mike, I was wondering when you'd get around to posting here again. :smile: Glad you made the trek across the country without incident. The pics of the car at the Tail of the Dragon are just awesome -- to say that I'm jealous may be a bit of an understatement! Gotta admit, from your pics I think you've been cornering the car harder than I ever had under my ownership -- that's the way these cars are meant to be driven. :cool: Enjoy yourself and take care! Oh, and let's see that GoPro footage!

For anyone still following this thread, I can report that at least on THIS car the "bracketry" (new word, yes I know) let go with the NSX-R Replica undertray and OEM hood @ around ~155mph. Nothing serious. A few Honda push-rivets needed to be replaced, and the undertray suffered a bit of bend-damage from the high-pressure zone created by the lack of air-outlet by the OEM hood. Otherwise, a bit of "eblow"-work rendered everything back to "good-as-new" fashion.

For anyone still following this thread, I can report that at least on THIS car the "bracketry" (new word, yes I know) let go with the NSX-R Replica undertray and OEM hood @ around ~155mph. Nothing serious. A few Honda push-rivets needed to be replaced, and the undertray suffered a bit of bend-damage from the high-pressure zone created by the lack of air-outlet by the OEM hood. Otherwise, a bit of "eblow"-work rendered everything back to "good-as-new" fashion.

Man that sounds terrible. Replaced Honda rivets, bit of bend damage on aftermarket NSX-R undertray and elbow work? Do you have any idea what that does to resell value? It's probably a good time to cut your loses and move on to another NSX. This one is going to be hard to sell with all these "issues". :biggrin: :biggrin: I kid, I kid.

BTW: check your inbox, I might have a buyer for that slightly bent basically good as new aftermarket undertrayed NSX! Haha.

Glad you're out there enjoying this car as it deserves. Still one of my favorite NSXprime cars on here.

"When it rains...."

Aparrently while I was under the car fixing the undertray, I failed to notice the the mounting holes in the front bumper that your lip bolt into are broken out. So at 60mph the passenger side of the lip decided to unattach itself from the bumper. Was several miles before I could stop to inspect the problem.

As expected the lip wore a hole through itself from contact with the pavement. :facepalm:

So I'll fix that as well once I have a chance. In the meantime does anyone have an OEM lip for sale? :)

Been awhile, figured I'd update the thread while I'm out of the country, and have spare time on my hands...

Obviously the damaged lip was replaced long ago. New hardware used (as only 4 bolts were present out of 13 - Maybe they worked their way out? Dunno.)

Front bumper is definitely in need of a repaint. The car now has ~85k miles on it, and boy does that front bumper take a beating within relatively few miles (13k or so). I'll send it off for supremely anal-attentive treatment once I return.

Maintenance items on the to-do list:

- TB + WP
- Coolant hoses
- Thermostat (currently stuck open)
- Investigate backlash/dead play issue in steering (may need to send off to that one prime member, whose name escapes me at the moment, to have it rebuilt)
- New air filter element
- Wheels will be refinished and likely sold (Anyone looking for a 18/19 set of Volk GT-Fs?)
- Believe the brake booster is in need of replacement (quite a bit of pedal effort required to achieve desired braking force)
- Investigate coilover suspension "clatter" over undulations.

Other happenings since last update:

- Current gen Mustang 5.0's aren't very fast in the 1/4 mile
- Sand on Blue Ridge mountain roads is unforgiving
- A stock 3.2L, with CT-E clutch, WILL NOT spin 275/30/19's....... in the wet. (Or the clutch is nearing end-of-life)

I've had my bumper resprayed twice in 8 years due to rocks/debris. I'll only assume it's because the car is low and an easy target for debris. With that said it would be advisable to have it clear bra'd after respray. I wish I'd taken my own advice since another respray in coming due in the future.:frown:
I have yet to hear of a vacumn booster failure on these cars but not impossible I suppose.

Last edited:
OMG, that is a stud of a car. I'd love to see it in person..... Dragon's tail trip anyone ?

Back