• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

New (to me) 1998 Kaiser Silver Coupe

Another small update. A couple new parts on order:

- Wil's "AP-X" exhaust, with 100 cell catalytic converters
- 17x8 ET37 / 18x10 ET35 Advan RZII's in Indigo Blue

Don't get me wrong. I DO enjoy the Anytime/Borla exhaust, as it's more "mature"/subtle, but I've been wanting to see for myself just what the car CAN sound like with something a bit louder. If I genuinely dislike it, I can always get rid of it. (Will be keeping the Anytime/Borla, regardless.)

And for the "Blue" Advans... Well, I'm not convinced I'm going to like those either, lol (due to the color.) I've always liked the RZ's, and still have a Bronze set that I used on my 8th gen Civic Si, but my initial color choice for the wheels were either a polished or possibly even a "chrome"-type color. Though a friend suggested I give the Blue a try. Thoughts? (I'm pretty much already betting on the fact that I'll hate the color, so I'm already looking for a reputable place to have them polished and cleared.)

Additionally, once Colin (phryxis) gets his Shorai battery kits finished, one will be going in the car as well. (Current battery is definitely in need of replacement.)

For now that's it for aftermarket additions until I get the noted maintenance items taken care of in the coming weeks.

Last edited:
Yea, I'm familiar with the color. And I DO really like it. It just seems to me (at least from pictures) that it is just too close in color to Kaiser Silver. And I think that's OK if you're into it.

But I've always been a fan of contrasting body/wheel colors. I've obviously thought about Black, Bronze, Gunmetal, Red, Blue, "NeoChrome", many shades of Silver, a no-color "brushed" look, Polished, and Chrome. IHMO, the polished or chrome colors look more pleasing to me. (Though not quite as "constrasty" as I'd usually go for on a body color other than Silver.)

For example:

attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• oqzz13.jpg
    oqzz13.jpg
    540.3 KB · Views: 801
  • ChrisHemosillo_1.jpg
    ChrisHemosillo_1.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 797
My TE37SL's are dark gunmetal, but with a polished lip that contrasts nicely with the silver color of the car. I like it, since the spokes do match the car color, it looks like they were designed for it.

So the Indigo RZII's are now on the car, as well as the AP-X exhaust (along with a long list of general maintenance, of which I'll go into detail on later), but I think I can actually learn to like these wheels. The attached pictures don't quite do them enough justice - They actually have a pearlescent clear on the faces, that really make them "pop" in the sunlight. (Surely I'll post some pictures in the sunlight eventually.)

But for now, these will have to do.

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• 16142874_1638988346127976_334914624937989891_n.jpg
    16142874_1638988346127976_334914624937989891_n.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 747
  • 16174834_1638988286127982_7231414318704984982_n.jpg
    16174834_1638988286127982_7231414318704984982_n.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 752
  • 16195698_1638988289461315_3594927223255201344_n.jpg
    16195698_1638988289461315_3594927223255201344_n.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 751
Looks great! I have a question, are all of the NA2 coupes (which I know are very rare) the two-tone roof like the 1st generation ones? Or is that an aftermarket job? Either way love it.

I've seen maybe 2 NSXs in my life and one of them is my 02 black targa so i've definitely never seen an NA2 coupe up close.

All non-Zanardi NA2 Coupes have berlina black tops, all Zanardi NA2 Coupes have NFR tops. (North America).

Last edited:
Congrats on your new ride! I think we may know the previous owner :)

Looks like the car is running our first generation LED DRL's too - have lots of unique NSX products if you are interested.

Enjoy the new ride in good health!

Cool, interesting to know I had no idea. Did they offer the 02+ as a special order coupe as well? I find conflicting information on it.

North America never officially had an option to order a coupe after 2001. Rumor has it that there was an 02+ Coupe in Canada somewhere, but I'm not entirely sure. Many other markets had the 02+ Coupe.

what color are those wheels?

If you lowered the car a little bit little bit more, it would look amazing.

They're the Advan RZII's in Indigo Blue.

I don't really have any intention of lowering the car further. I *drive* that car. Hard. I didn't purchase it, nor do I keep it around, for turning heads, or for "hard parking". So, as much suspension travel as I can get without rubbing in turns, or scraping over the driveway, determines my ride height.

Consider attending the MidEast Mini NSXPO In Raleigh - May 19 - 21.

Wish I could be there. It seems every time there is a decent get-together, I'm always out of town.

Congrats on your new ride! I think we may know the previous owner :)

Looks like the car is running our first generation LED DRL's too - have lots of unique NSX products if you are interested.

Enjoy the new ride in good health!

You mean JJ? Was/Is a super nice guy. He kept this car pristine. There was only one scratch on the car when I picked it up. Of which, I've since polished out.

To be honest, I didn't think I'd like the LEDs, but they've grown on me. Mostly because it acts as at least some type of DRL. People can't see these cars very well as it is, so its comforting to know I at least have some forward lighting.

Oh, and since I forgot to give an update on the maintenance that was done.... here we go:

- TB / WP
- Adjust valve lash / replace valve cover gaskets and cam seals
- Replaced clutch (SoS Sport 275) / Replaced countershaft bearing
- Replaced all coolant lines
- Rebuilt JRZ RS struts (via Wes Burton) / changed spring rates to 10kg/mm (F) and 8kg/mm (R)
- Electric Power Steering rack rebuilt
- Replaced trunk struts
- ... and other various small fixes (creaks/rattles/etc)

That is a beautiful car my friend. Is it just me or is the silver color in that year range a little darker than the silver used in the last years of production?

Mike, any initial thoughts / feedback on the steering rack rebuild? Noticeable difference from before? I am on the fence about doing this one for mine, but am thinking it needs to be sooner rather than later - I can't stand the vague feeling I'm getting from the wheel and thinking this could be the culprit since rest of my suspension has been overhauled recently.

Car is looking great.

Mike, any initial thoughts / feedback on the steering rack rebuild? Noticeable difference from before? I am on the fence about doing this one for mine, but am thinking it needs to be sooner rather than later - I can't stand the vague feeling I'm getting from the wheel and thinking this could be the culprit since rest of my suspension has been overhauled recently.

Car is looking great.

I initially sent mine out to be rebuilt due to about ~5 degrees of free play noticed at the steering wheel. Other than that, manipulation of the steering still felt smooth when feeding more and more input into the steering .... up until the point where you needed to reverse input to the opposite direction, where you would again notice that 5 degrees of free play.

Honestly, I couldn't be confident with my steering inputs due to this. So in my mind, it was ~$1600 well spent.

I initially sent mine out to be rebuilt due to about ~5 degrees of free play noticed at the steering wheel. Other than that, manipulation of the steering still felt smooth when feeding more and more input into the steering .... up until the point where you needed to reverse input to the opposite direction, where you would again notice that 5 degrees of free play.

Honestly, I couldn't be confident with my steering inputs due to this. So in my mind, it was ~$1600 well spent.

Wow, haha, I just saw this... thanks for the info and agreed :D

All non-Zanardi NA2 Coupes have berlina black tops, all Zanardi NA2 Coupes have NFR tops. (North America).

Actually, not all of the non-Zanardi NA2 coupes have black roofs. There are at least 2 NA2 Coupes that have body colored roofs. The Monte Carlo Blue coupe and a 2000 Silverstone coupe have body-colored roofs.
Steve

Back