• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

New Z06 travels 53 miles before engine dies

This an interesting story. The guy who owned a C8 gets his dream car, a Z06 and drives it home only to have the engine fail. He paid $70,000 upcharge for the privilege at a Chevrolet Dealership. None of the Z06 engines are dyno run like our NSX engines. Probably could have saved this from happening.

Last edited:
I wonder how often this happens in general, but it's just not seen because it's not uploaded to social media by a young driver? Porsche, Audi, Acura, GM, Ford, Ferrari Etc. They all must have failed engines out of the box at some point?

I was really impressed when I read that every engine destined for a NSX was set up on a dyno and essentially broken in. Is this commonly done with other cars like Porsche, Ferrari, and Lamborghini?

I have to admit I had the same thought. Most engines, even modern sports car engines, require a break-in period with essentially no hard acceleration, no driving long periods at constant RPM, etc. It was one of the selling points of the NSX that the engines are balanced and broken in at Anna so that you could theoretically drive it immediately to the track and go wild with it. This Vette owner admits to "a few gentle pulls", meaning he probably floored and red-lined it over and over. *lol*

I was really impressed when I read that every engine destined for a NSX was set up on a dyno and essentially broken in. Is this commonly done with other cars like Porsche, Ferrari, and Lamborghini?
It was a sight to see at engine plant when we took the tour at PMC for our build. There were a couple of side rooms off the main large scale production assembly plant. First one had several stations one each for the master builders to assemble an NSX engine. It was the first time I saw the individual components of the modern NSX engine. It was a surprise to see the Cosworth logos on the heads and block. These master builders were super meticulous (not saying the corvette engine builders are not the same) and detailed. If you haven't read this article on Hotwheels.com, it shows some great pics of this area. Once completed they rolled the engines to adjacent brake-in rooms where each motor is mounted on a dyno and ran for 2 hours (<< if memory serves). These builders not only broke in the motors but balanced them as well using different weight bolts on the main crank. After brake-in, the motor oil is drained and examined for any particulate matter. That same oil is put back in the same engine which is the same oil shipped with the car. I would say in theory more than 50 miles are put on the engines before they are even mounted in the chassis. To answer your question, I've been fortunate enough to visit other plants including Bentley (Crew, England's W12 assembly line) and Ferrari (Maranello Italy's both V8 and V12 assembly lines). What I saw was a 1hr-ish dyno test on a regular sampling (1 of 10ish) of assembled motors. My guess is that the build quantity drives this approach/philosophy.

great bunch

Attachments

• Photo Oct 29 2022, 4 29 45 PM (2).jpg
    Photo Oct 29 2022, 4 29 45 PM (2).jpg
    377.7 KB · Views: 22
  • Photo Oct 29 2022, 4 29 48 PM (1).jpg
    Photo Oct 29 2022, 4 29 48 PM (1).jpg
    154.6 KB · Views: 20
  • Photo Oct 29 2022, 4 31 10 PM.jpg
    Photo Oct 29 2022, 4 31 10 PM.jpg
    172.8 KB · Views: 22
  • Photo Oct 29 2022, 4 32 31 PM.jpg
    Photo Oct 29 2022, 4 32 31 PM.jpg
    272.6 KB · Views: 22
Porsche dynod their mezger blocks to 105% of rated power. I guess if it only pulled 104 they’d toss it back in the pond. Completely out of character IMO. They’d sell a steering wheel made of twizzlers if it could pass NTSB import.

Bummer, hopefully Chevy replaces it without too much hassle. The LT6 engine is a hand built work of art, and they do put them all through a dyno break in session before they ever leave the factory, that's not some special NSX exclusive thing.

But the Vette is made by union bahstids
These bahstids are bitter cuz the All Powerful hates the Vette (sinkhole under museum, warehouse destroyed, full truckload catches fire)
These bitter bahstids are also more bitter cuz Mary Barra makes so many times more than them and knowing that with the next slowdown she will lay them off while their union leadership stays in fancy hotels and dine on jumbo shrimp cocktails paid for from their labor

Yes correct, the Chevy engine is run on the dyno for 20 minutes vs the NSX engine which is run for 60 minute. Interesting.

Back