• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

New ZR1 laps the ring in 7:26.4

http://jalopnik.com/397308/corvette-...rgring-in-7264

Well that adds a wrinkle...

I wonder what the new target for the new Acura Supercar will be...

will they switch from the GTR to the ZR1 now?

From what we have heard- the new Acura is closer to the ZR1 in MSRP price point...

Philip

I couldn't decide where to put this, so i started it in Off topic too...

Last edited:
the Spec-V is already lapping 7:25, the LF-A and the V10 NSX will be faster than the Spec-V, or at least they are trying.

It's just a matter of time til this lap time will officially be beaten by the Spec-V, V10 NSX and LF-A.

The new car Acura is making isn't going to be an "NSX" or even a supercar right? I think I heard they were trying to build something more like an aston martin. Like a touring car.
If that's the case, why are they trying to beat any records?

There was talk that the GTR's lap time was NOT standing start from the garage area, it had a flying start. That alone may count for 5 seconds or more.

What kind of method did the ZR1 used?

There was talk that the GTR's lap time was NOT standing start from the garage area, it had a flying start. That alone may count for 5 seconds or more.

What kind of method did the ZR1 used?

The same flying start...just as everyone is doing now.

Supposedly that ZR1 was bone stock when it ran that time. Nissan had a juiced up GTR with more boost to get their time.

Jesus that's a pretty damn good time :eek:

Remember that it's only been a few years ago when Europes greates tuners fought the Ring with heavily modded GT2s struggling to beat the 7:30 mark!

Go US and go Japan - they are toasting the germans at their own track :eek:

But in the end, who cares ;) I still want a 997 GT3 regardless of how many times it get its ass kicked on track by these new beasts.

The 911 is getting a facelift, I'm sure Porsche will want it's track back.

(NOTE***** I am using HUS acronym for Honda Unknown Supercar)

Although i don't think the HUS and LF-A should go after the V-spec GTR....only because you're going up against a modified version of the base car...if anything they should do an HUS Type-S and an LFA-F to go up against the V-Spec GTR...just to keep prices lower in an already bad market.

Jesus that's a pretty damn good time :eek:

Remember that it's only been a few years ago when Europes greates tuners fought the Ring with heavily modded GT2s struggling to beat the 7:30 mark!

Go US and go Japan - they are toasting the germans at their own track :eek:

But in the end, who cares ;) I still want a 997 GT3 regardless of how many times it get its ass kicked on track by these new beasts.

LMAO! I see where you're coming from......theres something about a 997 GT3 that gets the goose bumps going!

I'm just happy to see Honda back in the sports car news with something new. It's like we have to wait every 10 years to get anything. 1991 = NSX, 1999 = S2000, 2010 = Wannabe GT-R Killer what-ever-they-are-going-to-call-it-X

Then later we get the Wannabe GT-R Killer what-ever-they-are-going-to-call-it-X Type R

There's no such thing as ZR1 "stock" .... the ZR1 it's a heavily modified Z06 that already has the C6 as base .... and yes those times are very respectful and I hope Honda has that as goal for the Type-S or R? version of this GT beast ...

OScar

There's no such thing as ZR1 "stock" .... the ZR1 it's a heavily modified Z06 that already has the C6 as base .... and yes those times are very respectful and I hope Honda has that as goal for the Type-S or R? version of this GT beast ...

OScar

Incorrect. The ZR1 is not a heavily modified Z06. It is based on the same platform, but will be available from the factory in the configuration that just hot lapped the Ring in 7:26.4

thus it is a "Stock" product.

I will admit that it is confusing considering all 3 levels of corvette look very similar to the untrained eye. The specifications are in fact very different.

FYI- more differences listed by two publications below.

CarNoise said:
The three year old Corvette Z06 and the latest 09 Corvette ZR1 are both fast sports cars but the new ZR1 is in a league of its own. Z06 comes with 7.0L engine which produces 72hp/L while the LS9 in ZR1 comes at 6.2L and gives 103hp/L. There are many other specification differences. Here we are more concerened about the visual differences between the two.

From the outside there aren't any drastic design changes that differentiate Z06 from ZR1. But if you look closely you will definately find many subtle changes. Allow us to help you out here. On the inside the one change that we immediately noted was the replacement of the 200 mph speedometer in the Z06 with a new unit that goes up to 220 mph in the ZR1.

Exterior changes that differentiate ZR1 from Z06 include the new carbon fiber splitter at the front end of ZR1. Also the single fender vent on the sides of Z06 is changed for ZR1 to a pair of larger vertically stacked vents. Further, ZR1 comes with a raised hood that provides adequate clearance for the LS9, while a polycarbonate window in the hood provides a view of the engine beneath it. The roof of the ZR1 is also made of visible carbon fiber which Z06 can't boost off. Also the entire front clip on new Corvette is made of the carbon fiber, although those parts are painted. If you have an eye for detail you won't miss the bright blue Brembo brake calipers on ZR1 which come in red color on Z06.

Road and Track said:
The Corvette is revered around the world as America's sports car. Over the generations Chevrolet has spawned some specialized models that added to the already potent performance-car's cachet. The Corvette Z06 is that model, with a 7.0-liter, 7100-rpm-redline V-8 dumping a thunderous 505 horses on its aptly named Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar tires. But apparently that wasn't enough for the boys at GM. They don't just want to compete with the likes of Aston Martins, Ferraris and Porsches; they want a car that'll catch 'em, slap 'em around, call 'em Suzy and then go on to lap 'em. That's the newest ZR1, the most menacing Corvette ever sold.

Before you get your hopes up too high, I'll tell you now: We haven't driven the ZR1 — yet. That's not going to happen until the end of the year. The estimated performance numbers are subject to much debate. Nevertheless, the Z06 has what it takes to be the ultimate track car, as that's its intended function. The ZR1 is developed from the Z06, using its aluminum structure as a starting point. Its engine, transmission, differential, brakes, shocks and springs are all unique. For a more thorough look at the ZR1, see our February 2008 issue.

The heart of the ZR1 is the LS9 6.2-liter supercharged V-8. It's expected to have 620 bhp, or possibly more. Overall, the engine puts out 20 percent more power and torque than the already ferocious LS7 from the Z06! The car has gained roughly 200 lb., even though it employs carbon-ceramic brakes and lightweight carbon-fiber bodywork. The extra weight will hurt performance a bit, but some will be gained back with specialized Michelin tires. We expect slalom and skidpad performance to be affected most.

Corvette ZR1 engineers have said that the Z06 will remain the favorite for track enthusiasts, but for the ultimate get-up-and-go, the ZR1 is the ticket. To make it more confusing, the ZR1, which features Magnetic Ride suspension, will almost certainly have more comfortable ride motions. But when set to Sport, it will be as firm as the Z06. The MR system has the added benefit of helping to control pitch and yaw during acceleration and braking. Of particular interest is the system's launch-control strategy that lets the car squat to aid weight transfer and improve traction.

The Z06 is already the evil twin of the standard LS3 Corvette, but it's not quite the Blue Devil we expect the ZR1 to be. We'll tell you more when we get our hands on the beast.

Philip

Last edited:
Incorrect. The ZR1 is not a heavily modified Z06. It is based on the same platform, but will be available from the factory in the configuration that just hot lapped the Ring in 7:26.4

thus it is a "Stock" product.

I will admit that it is confusing considering all 3 levels of corvette look very similar to the untrained eye. The specifications are in fact very different.

FYI- more differences listed by two publications below.

Philip

I know and most people know that that is an entirely "stock" new car based on the platform but calling a ZR1 "BASE" IMO is just silly .. is like saying that the FXX is also "base" ... i just think is silly, ZR1 is ZR1 not base Zr1 .. the base is the C6 ,, the new versions, yes, new versions ... it's like calling the 80K+ mustang KR also stock .... i guess depends each person point of view ,, to each it's own ..

OScar

Last edited:
I know and most people know that that is an entirely "stock" new car based on the platform but calling a ZR1 "BASE" IMO is just silly .. is like saying that the FXX is also "base" ... i just think is silly, ZR1 is ZR1 not base Zr1 .. the base is the C6 ,, the new versions, yes, new versions ... it's like calling the 80K+ mustang KR also stock .... i guess depends each person point of view ,, to each it's own ..

OScar

"Stock" and "Base" are not interchangeable terms IMO

"Stock" means - "from the factory"

"Base" means the model with the minimum of factory options

If I can buy a "Stock" ZR1, i get a car that is spec'd just like the car lapping the Ring, but if I buy a "Base" Corvette it will have very few similarities aside from a common silhouette.

just food for thought.

P

"Stock" and "Base" are not interchangeable terms IMO

"Stock" means - "from the factory"

"Base" means the model with the minimum of factory options

If I can buy a "Stock" ZR1, i get a car that is spec'd just like the car lapping the Ring, but if I buy a "Base" Corvette it will have very few similarities aside from a common silhouette.

just food for thought.

P

I agree but is pretty redundant .... it's like saying "I can't wait to see a the "stock" ferrari 659 and the other stock F1 cars race this weekend ,, ;) .. "

Oscar

I SAW ONE!

ZR1 prototype in the 4th of July Parade in Lake City Michigan. I have no idea how it got there, or why it was in the parade, but it is the real deal.

I got one pic with my crummy camera phone- below

07-04-08_1127.jpg

It took me a second to realize what I was seeing. This was a simple parade in a small town in northern Michigan, but sure enough there it was!

The car looked really cool (the brakes are HUGE)- The black (carbon) roof caused it to look a lot like the bastard child of a C6 Corvette and the NSX. It also has a fender badge that says ZR1. I tried to get closer, but a local cop stopped me from stepping out onto the roadway.

Philip

Chevy is covering all bases in preproduction ,you witnessed parade testing.:tongue:

Back