• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Newb Ready To Buy - Looking For Experienced Advice

Like many of you at one time or another, the thought of owning an NSX has been circling in my head for over 20-years and the time has come where I am faced with the exciting reality of finally being able to pull the trigger. More specifically, I'm looking for a low mileage Gen 1 that I can appreciate the driving experience on occasion and will appreciate on it's own.

Some of you may have seen the 2004 NSX on the showroom floor of Lamborghini of Dallas. If not, https://www.lamborghinidallas.com/u...X-Dallas-c742c7fa0a0e0ae8084f5a29de2d40ab.htm

The car has been there since April from what I can tell and I'm trying to wrap my head around as to why and if this is the car for me long term (driving experience and value appreciation)? My initial thoughts as to why it hasn't sold would be combination of price and modifications. To my limited knowledge these are what appear to be the mods: wheels, rockers, stereo console, suspension and integrated Passport.

If I may be so direct...

What are your thoughts as to why the car hasn't found a new home?

Do you think the depreciation has bottomed out even with the mods?

Are there mods that I have overlooked and would the cars long term future benefit a return to stock?

Your insight is greatly appreciated and I'm excited to start my NSX ownership journey!

Chad Hawkins
Panama City Beach, Florida

Check the excellent market analysis

http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php/199875-Gen1-NSX-Current-Market-Analysis

On the surface, that seems like a good price for the mileage. Deferred maintenance would always be a cost consideration (at that mileage the TB may be original and the coolant may never have been changed). Depending on how much has been deferred that can be a significant cost. As Doc sez, the wheels, skirts, hood and other stuff is a personal taste question. If the original pieces are included with the car that gives you the option of going back to original. If they are not included and you do want to go back to original that can be expensive.

The only general advice I can provide is purchase the best condition car that you can afford. The final cost of purchasing a low price car that is fobbed off as needing TLC will generally exceed the up front cost of a nice car. NSX parts are not cheap.

I echo the above posts.

What are your thoughts as to why the car hasn't found a new home? I think you hit the nail on the head. The mods. $92k isn't chump change considering you can probably find a higher mileage 91/92 in the $35-$50k range depending on condition. With that said, the lower mileage ones demand higher $$$ from collectors....but collectors seem to want unmolested models.

Do you think the depreciation has bottomed out even with the mods? No idea.

Are there mods that I have overlooked and would the cars long term future benefit a return to stock? Seems like you hit most of the major ones. What are your plans? Returning to stock isn't going to be cheap. You can probably remove the spray tint on the tail light lights with some brake cleaner though....unless the P.O. clear coated them. You can buy the 02+ Wheels from SOS. Regardless...cars have never been smart "investments". Just enjoy it.

Last edited:
Interesting that it has only done 9800 miles or so in 7 years....

I like it. Nice clear bra on the front. Easy to buy an oem center console, side skirts and remove tint from twilights and side markers. For wheels oem will cost 8k or you can buy nice new repros for 2500

thank you all for your input and advice. i was going back and forth with the dallas dealership and am stunned to learn here that the car now resides and a dealership in madison. i've left them a message to learn what i can. strange it would change hands like that but my thoughts are the dealership in WI paid a premium for and will be asking a premium. the car business is a interesting industry to attempt to figure out.

thank you all for your input and advice. i was going back and forth with the dallas dealership and am stunned to learn here that the car now resides and a dealership in madison. i've left them a message to learn what i can. strange it would change hands like that but my thoughts are the dealership in WI paid a premium for and will be asking a premium. the car business is a interesting industry to attempt to figure out.

Chad, I'd be careful with this one. With all the action on BaT lately, NSX prices are getting really crazy. Crazy money attracts shady people and a car may not be what is appears to be. From your original post, it looks like you are looking for a long term NSX, not a transitory money-making opportunity. I feel like I have a pretty good handle on the NSX and just from the posted pictures and description, I can already get to about $10,000 worth of work to be done on this car to get it "right". The skirts, painted lower lip and blacked out tails/side markers suggest to me that the car has had body work. Was it a minor refresh, or are those skirts concealing major damage? I don't believe Carfax reports for the NSX anymore because there are plenty of body shops out there who will gladly accept an envelope full of cash to fix damage that never gets reported to insurance. Given all of this, $92,000 is just too high. The 02+ cars are rare birds, but the $100k+ money is really for all-original examples with clean histories. I'd pay 70,000 for this car tops. That's probably why it hasn't moved.

If you find one you're really serious about, I strongly suggest having the frame and body checked by a collision repair center that can use the factory frame repair manual to measure it properly. The valuation tool linked earlier in this thread is a great resource. And we are happy to help you find the right car. It's out there. :)

Like many of you at one time or another, the thought of owning an NSX has been circling in my head for over 20-years and the time has come where I am faced with the exciting reality of finally being able to pull the trigger. More specifically, I'm looking for a low mileage Gen 1 that I can appreciate the driving experience on occasion and will appreciate on it's own.

Some of you may have seen the 2004 NSX on the showroom floor of Lamborghini of Dallas. If not, https://www.lamborghinidallas.com/u...X-Dallas-c742c7fa0a0e0ae8084f5a29de2d40ab.htm

The car has been there since April from what I can tell and I'm trying to wrap my head around as to why and if this is the car for me long term (driving experience and value appreciation)? My initial thoughts as to why it hasn't sold would be combination of price and modifications. To my limited knowledge these are what appear to be the mods: wheels, rockers, stereo console, suspension and integrated Passport.

If I may be so direct...

What are your thoughts as to why the car hasn't found a new home?

Do you think the depreciation has bottomed out even with the mods?

Are there mods that I have overlooked and would the cars long term future benefit a return to stock?

Your insight is greatly appreciated and I'm excited to start my NSX ownership journey!

Chad Hawkins
Panama City Beach, Florida

1) You can blame it on the Pandemic, plus I think the price is on the high side especially with so many mods.

2) With this particular one, I am in doubt you can sell it at 90k again, although its mileage is very low, but with all those mods, it's going to be difficult to find the right person to have the same taste.

3) Then why not looking for one in bone stock condition?

will you consider buying one in Canada?

https://www.autotrader.ca/a/acura/nsx/montr%C3%A9al/quebec/19_11609296_?showcpo=ShowCpo&ncse=no&orup=14_18_18&pc=M2N%204J5&sprx=-1

Just saying... :)

[MENTION=37294]Hawkc01[/MENTION] what are you looking for in an NSX? Model Year? Color? Stock? Modified? What are your must haves and what are you "absolutely not" items? We may be able to help steer you in the right direction

Great question. 1995 or newer, 30k miles or less, accident free - well cared for, tasteful but limited mods that can easily and somewhat cost effectively be returned to stock. Prefer largely stock. Good with Comtech, but not necessary. I'm open to color and transmission. $100k budget. This particular car's mods do appeal to me with the exception of the wheels, but the fact that it was sitting since April at a very reputable high-end dealer concerns me, which is why I decided to come out of the shadows.

Back