• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Newbie looking for some info

I saw and drove a NSX recently and decided I want one! I have a few questions.
1. I heard NSXs are hard on rear tires. How long does a set usually last?

2. Are there model years, due to problems I should stay away from?

3. What is the most important thing to look for when buying a NSX?

Thank you for helping start on my path to a NSX.

Before you get the "Search" button crammed down your throat....let me recommend you check it out. There are so many posts on this forum, all your questions will get you more information you could ask for.

But just to give you my thoughts on your questions:

Tires last around 5-7000...depending on tire, driving habits and/or alignment settings.

As far as problem years..... I went with 97 for the new engine and 6-speed. From what I've read, some small issues in the earlier cars (91-92)....but most should have been taken car of by now.

What to look for....well it's a car so the obvious things are the same. Cleanliness, service history, previous owners.... as far as the more technical stuff.... I'd do a search here on Prime. I believe most pay to have an Acura dealer check it out. That's probably the best thing because you cannot see a lot of what needs to be checked.

Good luck!

newby said:
As far as problem years..... I went with 97 for the new engine and 6-speed. From what I've read, some small issues in the earlier cars (91-92)....but most should have been taken car of by now.

Not true. The "issues" are with the Snap-Ring and there are many cars that are still at risk.

Welcome.

Your first step should be to read through the NSX FAQ (answers to Frequently Asked Questions). You can access it by clicking on the word FAQ in the red bar at the top of the page, the one that looks like this:

04jannavbar.gif

Then come back and we'll talk.

Not true. The "issues" are with the Snap-Ring and there are many cars that are still at risk.

After 15 years, I'm not sure what the "risk" value is on the snap ring. On a $90K car with no other isses it might be significant...on a $25K-$35K car that will need a clutch or trans rebuild...the "risk" about $1500.

The A/C system, Bose issue, interior issues (split visors, torn bolsters and fan noise) and timing belt are probably more expensive and way more likely to be a problem at this point.

I'd say: forget the snap ring, it is a non issue at this point. Worry about the A/C system and timing belt....either one will cost you quite a bit more.

Many folks will dump the NSX before it needs its major maintenance. So not only will you pay more for "low miles", you get to pay top dollar and down time for required scheduled work. I recommend a well maintained car with high miles than one with a lot less miles (that probably looks better) but not as well cared for....the NSX will run forever if properly maintained.

If you have a choice: get one with a Comptech supercharger.

JeffPuma you NEED to spend several days reading all the material in the FAQ and browse the forums. Your question has been asked time and time again. Your issues have been discussed countless times. A lot of blood and sweat have been poured into previous posts for your benefit: take advantage of them.

Do all of that: we will be glad to answer any additional questions. If the questions have been answered, we'll just supply you with a link...so you might as well just search for yourself.

Welcome

Drew

Back