• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Newly installed Kenwood DNX8120

Just thought I relay my experience with having a new console and Kenwood DNX8120 installed in my 92. I bought the console piece from scorp965 and he was kind enough to 'donate' the plastic ashtray piece since I was looking to replace the 12V socket in my dash. The first owner of the car had installed an aftermarket Kenwood stereo with a large Radio Shack amp on the trunk floor and some seriously mismatched aftermarket speakers. The original console was long gone and the 'carbon fiber lookalike' version in the car was being held together with scotch tape from behind.

I brought the car into Audio Concepts here in Simi Valley as they have done really nice work for me on other cars and a boat. Interestingly, they had shown me pictures of an installation they had done on a newer silver NSX owned by Joe Rogan. They carefully tore the old stuff out and restored the wiring back to a nice semblance of order. They neatly repaired all of the broken tabs on my door panels with plastic/metal fittings and also replaced the carbon fiber door inserts with factory versions I purchased here on Prime. They added dynamat to the doors and between this and removing the crossovers that weren't even attached to anything, my rattle factor is down to zero.

The console fit perfectly and they did a nice job on cutting it for the double-din unit. I was somewhat concerned after reading the posts here regarding the ashtray door not operating, however a few minor tweaks here and there and I now have a smoothly operating door. My GPS/XM hockey puck antenna is neatly fitted on top of the engine cover and my reception has been stellar with almost instant satellite acquisition from pulling out of the garage. They installed a much smaller amp in a vertical position on the left side of the trunk and it takes up a fraction of the space. All of the factory speakers were removed and replaced and the sound is awesome now. Still, I may have wasted some money because I can't get enough of the engine/exhaust note and the stereo has only been on while I have been parked or sitting in traffic. The XM traffic notifications have been spot on and detours have worked well here in L.A..

All in all, I couldn't be more pleased with the setup or installation, especially compared with what was in the car when I bought it (thought I would include a before picture too.)

Alex,

i too am looking to install the same Kenwood in my car... can you please explain the "minor tweeks" it took to get the ashtray door to remain functional.... Thanks...Dave

Very NICE

Very Clean

Would you please show a photo of the GPS antenna on the engine cover??

As I am about to do the same install with the same DX8120

Thanks

Sorry, I tried to get a pic last night under a bad parking lot light, but you can see where they placed. Any further to the side and it interferes with fully opening the cover.

Alex,

i too am looking to install the same Kenwood in my car... can you please explain the "minor tweeks" it took to get the ashtray door to remain functional.... Thanks...Dave

Dave,

I stopped by today and spoke with the installer. He mounted the head unit absolutely as high as he possibly could and played with the angle before securing the mount at the proper angle. He 'sanded' the top of the door to give it just enough room to run through its range of motion. He said having the ashtray door separated from the mechanism is the only way to do this. My take on it was that the time consuming part was getting the fit of the head unit bracket angle while trying to match the console surround simultaneously with keeping the door motion in mind. I don't know if this would be possible retrimming the factory surround. Hope this helps.

Alex

Just thought I relay my experience with having a new console and Kenwood DNX8120 installed in my 92. I bought the console piece from scorp965 and he was kind enough to 'donate' the plastic ashtray piece since I was looking to replace the 12V socket in my dash. The first owner of the car had installed an aftermarket Kenwood stereo with a large Radio Shack amp on the trunk floor and some seriously mismatched aftermarket speakers. The original console was long gone and the 'carbon fiber lookalike' version in the car was being held together with scotch tape from behind.

I brought the car into Audio Concepts here in Simi Valley as they have done really nice work for me on other cars and a boat. Interestingly, they had shown me pictures of an installation they had done on a newer silver NSX owned by Joe Rogan. They carefully tore the old stuff out and restored the wiring back to a nice semblance of order. They neatly repaired all of the broken tabs on my door panels with plastic/metal fittings and also replaced the carbon fiber door inserts with factory versions I purchased here on Prime. They added dynamat to the doors and between this and removing the crossovers that weren't even attached to anything, my rattle factor is down to zero.

The console fit perfectly and they did a nice job on cutting it for the double-din unit. I was somewhat concerned after reading the posts here regarding the ashtray door not operating, however a few minor tweaks here and there and I now have a smoothly operating door. My GPS/XM hockey puck antenna is neatly fitted on top of the engine cover and my reception has been stellar with almost instant satellite acquisition from pulling out of the garage. They installed a much smaller amp in a vertical position on the left side of the trunk and it takes up a fraction of the space. All of the factory speakers were removed and replaced and the sound is awesome now. Still, I may have wasted some money because I can't get enough of the engine/exhaust note and the stereo has only been on while I have been parked or sitting in traffic. The XM traffic notifications have been spot on and detours have worked well here in L.A..

All in all, I couldn't be more pleased with the setup or installation, especially compared with what was in the car when I bought it (thought I would include a before picture too.)

Two notes if you don't want anything exposed on your Kenwood installs.
I just did the DNX8120 install with the 'hockey puck' antenna located UNDER the engine cover as it was so friggen ugly. It fits perfect and has full signal bars. The GPS antenna sits UNDER the dash console on top of the stainless cross bar, also with full signal bars. This gives you a completely 'stock' look outside of the double DIN.

Cheers,
John

Last edited:
Back