• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

nice review of NSX

NSX-GUY, I did find it interesting to note yours and a few others comments before:
NSX-GUY said:
So, 90+% of the population, including municipalities and business that put up signs saying "Head In Parking Only" (ever seen one that said "Back In Only" ? :biggrin: ),
and
Mojorator said:
Where I work, (Military Base) they will not allow people parking backwards due to some sort of "Security Risk"..something to do with being able to get out quicker...

Maybe because we are "down under" we like to do things different but we have the opposite signs here... "Rear End In Only" all the time here! It actually has to do with the driver not having to back out into traffic before they can see what is comming...

NSX-GUY said:
Wellllllll, I DO understand we have a language difference here :eek: butttttttt, and (some older American types will understand this :wink: ), while I HATE to ass-u-me, I guess I have done exactly that, so for that I apologise (<--that would be your spelling, no ? :wink: :biggrin: )
Yes correct spelling... :wink: :biggrin:

NSX-GUY said:
My original statement and those posts following (by me) are strictly for those times when you have a CHOICE ! I understand there are all sorts of special circumstances when backing in might be appropriate and it's then a "judgement call". I was basically beefing about people in mall parking lots and their "vertical"(?) (can't be parallel :biggrin: ) parking techniques although in most cases it DOES apply to garages as well.
Sorry Mate...missed that point totally :smile:
NSX-GUY said:
YOU have an unusual situation, do you not ? :wink:
Yes... And I seem to keep getting myself into unusual situations.... :wink:

NSX-GUY said:
(BTW, I loved Sydney (and Brisbane, especially Surfer's Paradise) when I was there - King's Cross was especially interesting in the evenings, especially when the "birds" came out (Was that street Darlinghurst Rd ? Or something like that. :wink: :biggrin: :p
LOL... Sounds like you like to get yourself into unusual situations as well! Not all things are as they seem in Darlinghurst...:wink: :biggrin:

Cheers :smile:

Maybe because we are "down under" we like to do things different but we have the opposite signs here... "Rear End In Only" all the time here! It actually has to do with the driver not having to back out into traffic before they can see what is comming

Crazy sydneysiders. :D Never seen that in Adelaide. I once got a parking fine for reversing into a park, near the city centre. (not parallel parking!) :)

Re: acceleration #'s across the ocean...

NSX-GUY said:
Disagree away my friend. No sweat. :cool:
Also not sure why you mention "precision machinery/forklift" stuff unless you're referring to the fact that if you're backing in a car the front/steering wheels become the "back/steering" wheels and the car is therefore more precisely pointed. IF that is the case, then I submit to you, if you need THAT kind of precision to get into a parking spot you really DON'T want to be there in the first place. Either YOU will dent someone else's doors getting in and out of your car or THEY will dent YOURS !!!

what I underlined gotta be the most ridiculous argument I've ever read about this topic. Has nothing to do with "precision parking". It has all to do with "manoeuvrability". You obviously do not know how to parallel park. Why am I saying this ? Because if you knew, you would have realized by now that there are parking spots that can only by accessed by backing-in. And yes, the "precision machinery/forklift" argument is dead-on the money. You shouldn't be talking about things you don't know.

count-me in as a pro-backing-in guy

As long as the steering wheels are in the front, backing in will always be easier to do because when turning, the car "pivots" around the back wheels (i.e. the rear wheels follow a shorter path around a corner than the front wheels do when driving forward). In reverse, this requires that the back of the car change direction sooner in order to fit into the space, which means that the angle of approach is superior to what it would be going in nose first. That is, if you approach a parking stall head in, a greater directional change is required at the front of the car to accomodate the fact that the rear wheels will cut the corner. The longer the vehicle, the truer this is.

So, not only does the car fit more easily into a spot when reversed in, it is far easier and safer when exiting the spot if you can leave nose first. So, I would submit that in all cases where you have a choice, and backing in is not impractical, backing in is always superior to heading in.

NSX-GUY said:
It's quite simple really but I doubt many people take the time to think it through and it bugs me when I see people back into a parking spot as well (not so-called "parallel parking").

Why do you think your car only goes about 10 MPH in reverse and 150 going forward ?

Do you drive better/more accurately going forward or going backward ?

When you go from a wide open (relatively speaking) area into a parking spot or into your garage (a much narrower area) is it easier to go into the NARROW/CONFINED area forward or backward (regardless of how well you can use your mirrors :rolleyes: ) ?

Going FORWARD into the confined area, you are then BACKING OUT into a MUCH WIDER area. Easier to BACK OUT into the wider area than it is to BACK IN to a narrower area, no ?

Just makes sense, no ? :wink:

(Why do you think there are parking areas (such as some supermarkets, malls, etc) that have sign up that say "Head-in parking ONLY" ???) :biggrin:

Okay, you are just being plain rude. I had a Single car Garage WITH my motorcycle parked inside. The setup of my garage warrants me to back my car in. The passenger-side is inches from the wall. I have been doing this for years. Like landing an F-14 on an aircraft carrier. Now with a 2 car garage devoted solely to the NSX, I STILL back that ass up!!! :tongue:

I used to vallet for years as well. We ALWAYS backed the cars in using the mirrors. I prefer to back my car into a parking space. It makes it easier to see oncoming cars as I am pulling out. BTW, they like you to pull forward into parking spaces so they can see your Tag. Of course, angled parking requires you to pull forward as well.

I just don't understand your pet peeve with people who back their car in to park.

ajnsx said:
In Japan everyone reverses into carparks, it drives me nuts. :biggrin:

Why were reverse lights invented again? :biggrin:
Interestingly, years ago, while at college, you could tell which cars belonged to the Asian tenants (I being one of them) of our apartment complex by looking to see which cars were backed in. A good number of the cars belonged to Japanese tenants (I not being one of them.). :D

WOW!

This is the worst thread I have ever had the experience of reading.

apapada said:
what I underlined gotta be the most ridiculous argument I've ever read about this topic. Has nothing to do with "precision parking". It has all to do with "manoeuvrability". You obviously do not know how to parallel park. Why am I saying this ? Because if you knew, you would have realized by now that there are parking spots that can only by accessed by backing-in. And yes, the "precision machinery/forklift" argument is dead-on the money. You shouldn't be talking about things you don't know.

count-me in as a pro-backing-in guy

I'll make you a deal apapada. When YOU start paying attention before telling people THEY don't know what they're talking about, *I* will stop talking about things I don't know. How's that ? Fair enough ? :wink:

Perhaps YOU should not accuse people of talking about what they don't know :rolleyes: until you learn how to READ ?!?!?! (Ya think ?) And perhaps you might even want to (RE-)READ before actually sticking your foot in your mouth ??? :rolleyes:

Or maybe you're just confused ??? :confused:

I "obviously do not know how to parallel park" ??? :eek: Bwa-ha-ha-ha-ha :biggrin:

"So-called" parallel parking is when there is a curb involved and probably should be called "in line" parking (and should virtually ALWAYS be backed into). :tongue: I say "so called) because parking in a mall parking area, actually IS "parallel" parking (to other vehicles) but as far as *I* know (<--happy now ? :biggrin: ) doesn't really have a "name". (So why DO we park on the driveway and drive on the parkway again ??? :confused: :biggrin: )

And as far as the "precision machinery" goes, once again, maybe you want to READ before you "criticize" ?!?!?!

I said earlier "To be clear, I was not talking about unusual circumstances such as backing into a public road/crowded street, nor pitlanes. I WAS talking about parking lots and normal (personal) garages."<O:p></O:p>

I also said earlier in the thread “Also not sure why you mention "precision machinery/forklift" stuff unless you're referring to the fact that if you're backing in a car the front/steering wheels become the "back/steering" wheels and the car is therefore more precisely pointed. IF that is the case, then I submit to you, if you need THAT kind of precision to get into a parking spot you really DON'T want to be there in the first place. Either YOU will dent someone else's doors getting in and out of your car or THEY will dent YOURS !!!” What part of that statement do you disagree with ?

Further, that "fork lift" guy (and backing into a MALL-type parking spot), even though the "trailing" wheels are doing the steering (for more precision), is STILL DRIVING FORWARD, NOT backward !!! :biggrin:

Last edited:
BladesNSX said:
Okay, you are just being plain rude. I had a Single car Garage WITH my motorcycle parked inside. The setup of my garage warrants me to back my car in. The passenger-side is inches from the wall. I have been doing this for years. Like landing an F-14 on an aircraft carrier. Now with a 2 car garage devoted solely to the NSX, I STILL back that ass up!!! :tongue:

I used to vallet for years as well. We ALWAYS backed the cars in using the mirrors. I prefer to back my car into a parking space. It makes it easier to see oncoming cars as I am pulling out. BTW, they like you to pull forward into parking spaces so they can see your Tag. Of course, angled parking requires you to pull forward as well.

I just don't understand your pet peeve with people who back their car in to park.

Do you have NO pet peeves of your own ??? Rather unusual I'd say. :wink:

And as far as "rude" goes I see nothing in the post you quoted that was "rude". (but then that's just *my* opinion :wink: )

If YOU had bothered to read the entire thread you would have seen that I admitted there could be extenuating circumstances for backing into a tight spot (like a garage). I believe one guy alluded to the deepest part of his garage being very "low slung" so the NSX would only really "fit" in nose first.

I also clarified to the effect that I was really only referring to "(mall-type) parking lots and normal (personal) garages", NOT unusual/extraordinary/special circumstances (like yourself apparently). :wink:

NSX-GUY said:
Further, that "fork lift" guy (and backing into a MALL-type parking spot), even though the "trailing" wheels are doing the steering (for more precision), is STILL DRIVING FORWARD, NOT backward !!! :biggrin:

are you for real ?! :eek: Re-read what you just wrote. If you still cannot figure it out, I'm at a loss of words...

dave22 said:
It's pretty simple, actually:

If there are monsters chasing you home, go nose-in and get the door shut in a hurry!

If there are no monsters giving chase, take your time and back in. Because you never know if there are monsters in the house that would require you leave again, and you'll likely want to leave quickly.

:)

Bahahahahahah...AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! :biggrin:

THATS AWESOME! Sounds like something I'd say and then
receive a room full of wierd stares and raised eye brows! :smile:

apapada said:
are you for real ?! :eek: Re-read what you just wrote. If you still cannot figure it out, I'm at a loss of words...

Perhaps I could have phrased that a bit better but what exactly is unclear to you ?

Is not the forklift operator driving forward with his rear wheels steering ?

In your car (as in a parking lot) are you not driving backward when your "rear" wheels (i.e. your FRONT wheels) are steering you backing up into the spot ?

NSX-GUY said:
Perhaps I could have phrased that a bit better but what exactly is unclear to you ?

Is not the forklift operator driving forward with his rear wheels steering ?

In your car (as in a parking lot) are you not driving backward when your "rear" wheels (i.e. your FRONT wheels) are steering you backing up into the spot ?

Exactly ! The point is and has always been that for best manoeuvrability the steering wheels must be the "rear" ones with regards to the direction of travelling. The forklift operator needs to maneuver in tight places. Since he's driving forward, his steering wheels must be the rear ones. In order to do a parallel parking maneuver, the only correct way to do it (with least number of maneuvers, and least impact on traffic waiting on you to complete your parking) is to drive backwards in the spot, since it's your front wheels that are steering. The same apply to any type of parking btw (parallel or not) some spots requiring you to do a 90* angle between two long vehicles. In these, there is not way you can park correctly getting in forwards (you'd be lobsided if you did) and without backing out again and getting in again once you corrected your offset.

BTW, there used to be a nice little web-based parking game posted here. If you can find it, go practice some, it's quite entertaining and will demonstrate easily why backing up into a parking space is better in most cases.

Getting back on topic :O

I didn't realize any automatic had paddle-shift? I thought they used a shift stalk on the steering column if they had manual mode?

Personally I find it much easier to just drive into the spot and backing out of it. Its not that difficult to look behind you and check if people are walking towards the rear of your car. That is what I usually do, I check if people are walking towards my direction from either side first, then get in the car and start to back out, that way I know how cautious I have to be while backing out. Also I don't think driving out of a spot is that much faster than backing out of it. If you parked correctly all you have to do is check behind your car then back up till you can turn your car out without hitting the cars next to you. Then just put the car in drive and go. Probably driving out would be like 5 seconds faster but what difference is that really going to make in real life. (Well unless every worker in those jobs of yours sprints to thier car to beat thier coworkers out of the parking lot, I can just picture it like the old races when the drivers have to run to thier car, not sure if it was the lemans races, oh well) Well anyways just wanted to give my imput to this I guess very off topic argument.

apapada said:
Exactly ! The point is and has always been that for best manoeuvrability the steering wheels must be the "rear" ones with regards to the direction of travelling.

Apparently you're NOT at a loss for words after all. :biggrin: (Glad to hear it BTW :wink: )

Sorry, but you are incorrect. And nobody, least of all me, was disputing the "precision manuverability" of a freakin' forklift.

The point is NOT and NEVER WAS about "best manuverability". The point IS (and ALWAYS WAS) about why it was better (or not) to go forward into a parking spot (or a garage) with your NSX or back in.

While I concede(d) there are special circumstances (and I never WAS referring to them) you can see more clearly going forward, your field of vision is better going forward than turning around in your seat and looking backward (or using your mirrors - at least it is in ANY car I've ever driven), and the direction in which you are going is tighter going in (hence the going in forward recommendation) than when you are leaving (hence the backing up OUT of a spot/garage).

Last edited:
well I didn't read the review, but this thread sure was interesting. I'd nominate it for the "Thread with the most graphic highlighting" award. I normally pull forward into spaces just because it is quicker. I'd rather back in, but it takes time. When I go to a big parking lot where they have rows of parking, I always pull in through the first space so I can pull forward out of the other space when I get the change if that makes sense.

95NSXT said:
When I go to a big parking lot where they have rows of parking, I always pull in through the first space so I can pull forward out of the other space when I get the change if that makes sense.
I does make sense if you mean you get the "chance" :biggrin:
Then I 2nd that.

NSX-Racer said:
I does make sense if you mean you get the "chance" :biggrin:
Then I 2nd that.
Yup, that's what I was trying to say. If there are spaces closer then I'll go to those, but if I have the change, I always pull through

AU_NSX said:
NSX-GUY, I did find it interesting to note yours and a few others comments before: and

Maybe because we are "down under" we like to do things different but we have the opposite signs here... "Rear End In Only" all the time here! It actually has to do with the driver not having to back out into traffic before they can see what is comming...
i be those "rear end in only" signs get stolen a lot! ;-) :biggrin:

ajnsx said:
but we have the opposite signs here... "Rear End In Only" all the time here!

ajnsx said:
Crazy sydneysiders. :D Never seen that in Adelaide. I once got a parking fine for reversing into a park, near the city centre. (not parallel parking!) :)

Here in Melbourne we have a different parking sign - "Side Power-Sliding Only"... they have one in front of Dippy's place... :D Thats why we call him the "Drift Master" :D

ok ok... back to the subject...

For all you "backing in" guys :eek: (not counting "special circumstances" of course - wouldn't want to be *un*clear :biggrin: )

So yesterday I pull into a supermarket parking lot behind another vehicle with parking on both sides of us (left and right). Parking is wide open on the left (NO cars) and there is ONE spot on the right. He begins turning to the left to pull in to a spot (or so I thought) so I begin to pull in (forward of course :wink: ) to the single spot on the right.

Lo and behold he stops and puts his car in reverse. He was BACKING IN to the spot on the right. Frickin' moron. Fortunately I had left enough room (and time) to hit the brakes. Had I gone to quickly pull in (behind him) he probably would have backed up right into my car.

zomby woof said:
I back in to my garage because I want to.

Welllllll, that cannot possibly endanger ME, so knock yourself out ! I don't care what you hit ! :wink: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Back