• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

nice review of NSX

Nice article. Thanks !

(But what idiot would "reverse into a garage" ??? :eek: :biggrin:

NSX-GUY said:
Nice article. Thanks !

(But what idiot would "reverse into a garage" ??? :eek: :biggrin:

I back into the garage most times versus driving straight in. :biggrin:

sjones said:
I back into the garage most times versus driving straight in. :biggrin:

Sorry to hear that. :frown:

(But then, some very smart people do some very dumb things, don't they ? :wink: )

I hope, at least, it's a VERY wide garage. :wink:

NSX-GUY said:
Sorry to hear that. :frown:

(But then, some very smart people do some very dumb things, don't they ? :wink: )

I hope, at least, it's a VERY wide garage. :wink:

my garage could be 1/3rd its current size and i could still back my nsx into its spot. Maybe I just know how to use the mirrors :confused:

It's quite simple really but I doubt many people take the time to think it through and it bugs me when I see people back into a parking spot as well (not so-called "parallel parking").

Why do you think your car only goes about 10 MPH in reverse and 150 going forward ?

Do you drive better/more accurately going forward or going backward ?

When you go from a wide open (relatively speaking) area into a parking spot or into your garage (a much narrower area) is it easier to go into the NARROW/CONFINED area forward or backward (regardless of how well you can use your mirrors :rolleyes: ) ?

Going FORWARD into the confined area, you are then BACKING OUT into a MUCH WIDER area. Easier to BACK OUT into the wider area than it is to BACK IN to a narrower area, no ?

Just makes sense, no ? :wink:

(Why do you think there are parking areas (such as some supermarkets, malls, etc) that have sign up that say "Head-in parking ONLY" ???) :biggrin:

If I backed into my garage, I wouldn't be able to get out of my car - it's a tight fit in there.

One thing I saw in the article was it mentioned pop-up headlights being legislated out of existance by pedestrian safety concerns. Is this true? What do pedestrians have to fear from pop-up headlights?

some of the numbers seem a little bit off:

, 0-60mph acceleration in 5.7 seconds

I think that even the automatic is quicker than this, but with the 6 speed, it's certainly alot quicker than this, at least when Bailey's not driving!! :biggrin:

NSX-GUY said:
Going FORWARD into the confined area, you are then BACKING OUT into a MUCH WIDER area. Easier to BACK OUT into the wider area than it is to BACK IN to a narrower area, no ?
The problem with backing into a wider area starts when this wider area is public road or parking lot or pitlane and you're not able to see what is happening there from your seat position. I find it much easier to stand forward towards the road or pitlane - especialy with the NSX. BTW: At the racetrack you always have to leave the pit with the front to the pitlane when you use your own engine.

NSX-Racer said:
The problem with backing into a wider area starts when this wider area is public road or parking lot or pitlane and you're not able to see what is happening there from your seat position. I find it much easier to stand forward towards the road or pitlane - especialy with the NSX. BTW: At the racetrack you always have to leave the pit with the front to the pitlane when you use your own engine.

Indeed. All of my cars are backed into the garage/driveway. It makes it so much easier to get out.

I always back into my parking spot and I have to turn 90 degrees and park within 3 inches of a concrete wall. In addition the corridor to turn in is narrow. I worry about the bumper and I absolutely worry about the panels; the mirror is my guide, if it isn't scraping the wall and the car is straight then the panels are safe. So far so good.

Not a bad review. The automatic will take the engines 7200 rpm any time you want it to go that high. You just need to push the pedal. If you don't give it gas it short shifts.

NSX-Racer said:

To be clear, I was not talking about unusual circumstances such as backing into a public road/crowded street, nor pitlanes.

I WAS talking about parking lots and normal (personal) garages.

*Sounds* like TM is talking about parallel parking alongside a concrete wall (as opposed to say, a curb) in which case you ALWAYS back up into a spot like that.

NSX-GUY said:
It's quite simple really but I doubt many people take the time to think it through and it bugs me when I see people back into a parking spot as well (not so-called "parallel parking").

Why do you think your car only goes about 10 MPH in reverse and 150 going forward ?

When you go from a wide open (relatively speaking) area into a parking spot or into your garage (a much narrower area) is it easier to go into the NARROW/CONFINED area forward or backward (regardless of how well you can use your mirrors :rolleyes: ) ?

(Why do you think there are parking areas (such as some supermarkets, malls, etc) that have sign up that say "Head-in parking ONLY" ???) :biggrin:

Actually, backing in makes perfect sense. Even though the space is smaller, the other thing is there is nothing moving in it. However, backing out of a garage, parking spaces, etc. there are other cars, pedestrians, bicycles, etc. that are moving in all kinds of directions. Makes sense to use the better visibility where they are more variables indicative of potential hazard, no? :wink:

I always back into places. I'm not meaning to dispute your point, but rather to explain another perspective.

Cheers.

NSX-GUY said:

1. gearing
2. depends on variables (partial list): vehicle, wheelbase, directional wheel config and placement
3. see above
4. see above
5. it does to you
6. among the reasons these signs are in place: (1) prevent backing damage caused by general public (2) majority of cars in u.s. still use rear wheel drive, thus access to drive wheels for towing is made more difficult when vehicles are backed in.

some drivers possess excellent backing / reverse driving skills, some do not.

i thought the article was lightweight, but reading it was better than working for a few minutes.

That's why you back out SLOWLY - so others CAN see you

Well, what can I tell you ?

So, 90+% of the population, including municipalities and business that put up signs saying "Head In Parking Only" (ever seen one that said "Back In Only" ? :biggrin: ), are wrong and you are right ?!?!?!

I am not a substance abuser of any kind but I happen to be a great believer in the "Serenity Prayer".

Whatever ! :wink:

Last edited:
"...only 25 per day are built." When was that? I thought 200/yr was all that's being produced now. If 200 is correct, then is that for the US or the world?

queenlives said:
1. gearing
2. depends on variables (partial list): vehicle, wheelbase, directional wheel config and placement
3. see above
4. see above
5. it does to you
6. among the reasons these signs are in place: (1) prevent backing damage caused by general public (2) majority of cars in u.s. still use rear wheel drive, thus access to drive wheels for towing is made more difficult when vehicles are backed in.

some drivers possess excellent backing / reverse driving skills, some do not.

i thought the article was lightweight, but reading it was better than working for a few minutes.

BWA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA

You're kidding, right ? Whew ! :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Oh, wait - You're NOT ??? :eek:

1. gearing - well, of COURSE it's "gearing" !!! :rolleyes:
2.Are you really suggesting that under ANY circumstances you COULD drive better backwards than forwards ?
3. see above.
4. see above.
5. it should to YOU as well.
6. (1)Those signs are usually posted up on a brick wall or there's a guard railing protecting the building - do you seriously think the building gives a shit if you back into it and damage your car (you are more likely to BACK into it than go forward into it, no ?) (2) See (1) Do you seriously think they owners give a shit about which way you're facing so they can more easily TOW YOU CAR ??? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I think the signs to limit backing in are because most cars have more overhang in the back than in the front, and if they back in all the way to the wheels the rear end of the car covers the sidewalk or other space beyond the space. Going in straight people usually stop earlier and don't cover the area behind the space.

sportmarc said:
Going in straight people usually stop earlier and don't cover the area behind the space.

are you saying that STRAIGHT PEOPLE usually stop earlier and don't cover their "area behind"?!!! how absurd, can you NOT SEE the obvious logic of their approach and that THEY MUST BE RIGHT??!!! (just kidding, btw)

<sigh>

nsxguy:
if you said it - it must be true, as well as the only valid viewpoint.

it's been fun, but i've gotta go do clean my sock drawer now.

queenlives said:
are you saying that STRAIGHT PEOPLE usually stop earlier and don't cover their "area behind"?!!! how absurd, can you NOT SEE the obvious logic of their approach and that THEY MUST BE RIGHT??!!! (just kidding, btw)

<SIGH>

nsxguy:
if you said it - it must be true, as well as the only valid viewpoint.

it's been fun, but i've gotta go do clean my sock drawer now.

[yawn]

You're right - cleaning your sock drawer is probably more fun that shovelling shit against the tide. :biggrin:

Yep. And the fact that 90% of the people that park their cars "nose in" in addition to all the companies and municipalities that only put up "Head in Parking" signs have no valid viewpoint either, right ?

Right. And which of your viewpoints was valid again ? OH. Right. ALL of them ! :biggrin:

*Sounds* to me like YOU are the one that thinks their viewpoint is the "only valid one". :wink:

acceleration #'s across the ocean...

hmmm... In every UK car magazine (Automobile, EVO, TopGear, AutoExpress, CAR, etc), I've seen the NSX's acceleration for manual transmission 0-60 in 5.7seconds & the automatic at 7.8 seconds. I am not kidding. :eek:

At my last work place, they posted a "head in parking only" sign about 2 months after I started there and talked about it in the weekly meeting.

When someone asked why the sign was put up, here was the answer..

"Most cars have their exhaust pipes facing the rear.. people who were backing into the parking spots were leaving black marks on the walls.. It made the building look like crap and usually required painting over."

I always thought from that point that this was the reason..

I'm sure that there are various reasons for "head in parking only" signs; one of which I'm sure is simply to maintain the flow of traffic in public parking lots. After all, one would have to overshoot the spot and then back up in order to park tail-in. This could cause a bit of a mess if there are a line of cars behind. I don't think it's got much to do with the level of difficulty of backing in though.

Either way, I'm sure that everyone is satisfied with how they choose to park. I rarely park tail-in in public lots, but choose to park all of my cars tail-in at home. I just find it much easier that way. Takes no more than a few short seconds longer to back into the garage than it would to drive head in, and much quicker to leave the driveway nose-out.

I got to agree with NSX-Guy about parking forward in most spots. I can't imagine seeing somebody reverse into a spot at the mall. You can see the end of your car easier driving forward.
Yes NSX-Guy I parallel park next to a concrete wall. I use do go in forward but then opening the door all the way became dangerous.

Back