• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

No NSX for 2002.......?

I think with all this 10th aniversary thing going on with the NSX, I doubt Acura will bring back the current NSX for model year 2002....Instead I believe they will bring out the Next NSX next year this time as a 2003 model.........This makes sense to me because it follows Acura's current pattern of bringing out cars a year ahead....

This makes me happy and sad...It makes me happy to see what wonderful creation we are in store for, and maybe it will knock down the price of some X's out there so it's more within my budget....But it makes me sad to see the current X stop being produced....no matter what the next NSX looks like, this current model will always catch me eye...

Originally posted by NSXdreamer:
...I doubt Acura will bring back the current NSX for model year 2002....

My dealer seems to think there will be a 2002. He claims that all '01s are made and are either shipped or will in the next few weeks. He said the '02 will start shipping late this year or early next.

I hope they put an incentive on the '01's, cause I'm very interested in one at this dealer.

Anyone know about how Honda works the incentives on the NSX?

Originally posted by tabasco:
[BI hope they put an incentive on the '01's, cause I'm very interested in one at this dealer.

Anyone know about how Honda works the incentives on the NSX?[/B]

Well, don't hold your breath for a break now. Once the average US temperature is over 60 degrees you can kiss goodbye any breaks. I bought mine in February with snow on the ground and got a good deal, but that is all gone for this season. If you want to wait until NOV or DEC 2001, they will clear out any models left before the end of the calendar year for sure and they will last until March 2002 likely.

As far as 2002 models, I have it on pretty good authority that they are considering either cuttung back current production to almost nothing or re-branding 2001 models as 2002 models if they are not sold in 2001. Either way there is likely to be a 2003 model sold in late 2002 that will be the next great thing. If the new model is $140K like some of the early report are and not $55K like some people were dreaming last year, then the current models will likely sell for close to retail well into the future.

My car 2000 NSX-T Yellow/Black is actually for sale on www.NSXClassifieds.com for only $75,000 with only 6,400 miles on it. Don't be dumb and pay full price retail for a new car. Get a good one from someone on the list here that you know has taken care of it. Save yourself $20K in depreciation.

------------------
Gordon G. Miller, III
2000 NSX-T #51 Yellow/Black

My car 2000 NSX-T Yellow/Black is actually for sale on www.NSXClassifieds.com for only $75,000 with only 6,400 miles on it. Don't be dumb and pay full price retail for a new car. Get a good one from someone on the list here that you know has taken care of it. Save yourself $20K in depreciation.

Is that a typo, or do you really think anyone buys a new NSX for $95,000? We all know that you can buy a brand new 2001 NSX-T with close to zero miles on it for around $81-82K or so, even without any incentives (and if you can find a leftover 2000, you can get the $5K incentive taken off of that).

Also, keep in mind that car sales tend to increase during the spring season. Increase in demand = less room for negotiations. Although, I don't know how much the crapping of the market will affect sales this year. So, you might have the advantage there.

You'd be amazed at how many people bought cars (ie: NSXs, porsches, convertibles, etc) during the spring season last year.

Hey G-Man, long time no hear from ya. And why are you selling your yellow T? I thought you were pretty jazzed about it...

------------------
--akira3D ('00 NSX-T red/black #113)
"Reality is better than the dream..."

akira3d.com/nsx

Originally posted by nsxtasy:
Is that a typo, or do you really think anyone buys a new NSX for $95,000? We all know that you can buy a brand new 2001 NSX-T with close to zero miles on it for around $81-82K or so, even without any incentives (and if you can find a leftover 2000, you can get the $5K incentive taken off of that).

Come on now, if you add in the $5K-7K of luxury tax that you have to pay new that you don't have to pay used, and you figure that most cars are selling for $85K-88K out there and not $82K, then you get a figure pretty close to $95K by the time you are done adding it all up. I don't think you are going to find a new NSX out there for anywhere close to $75K including luxury tax now. If you do, let me know, maybe I will buy another one.
smile.gif

------------------
Gordon G. Miller, III

Luxury tax is currently 4 percent of the purchase price that exceeds $38,000. This means that the luxury tax on a new NSX is now less than $2K, not $5-7K, and I DON'T figure that most cars are selling for $85-88K. Not even close.

Of course, I don't have a vested interest in trying to unrealistically jack up the price of a car I'm selling, either.
biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by nsxtasy (edited 25 April 2001).]

Of course, I don't have a vested interest in trying to unrealistically jack up the price of a car I'm selling, either.
biggrin.gif
B]

Damn Ken! That is cold even for you! I can provide you the paperwork if required showing that my car sold for $85K with an MSRP for $92,500 with all accessories and the sales tax of 4.5% and the Luxury Tax of whatever it was ended up with the car costing well over $97,500... almost $100K.

If you look at the used market for yellow 2000 NSXs out there, they are selling for $82K-$85K all day long! There are many selling for as little as $78K, but very few are as good a deal as mine for only $75K.

I resent your accusations even if they are made in jest. Your views have become increasingly more punative, harsh and critical in these posts since last year. I am not sure what you major maladjustment is, but get over it.

------------------
Gordon G. Miller, III

I don't have any maladjustment. But I don't go around posting numbers that are just plain wrong or descriptions of a car's technical systems that are flat out wrong.

If you overpaid for your new NSX, well, that's your business. And you're welcome to ask whatever you want for it. Just don't use phony numbers to justify what you're trying to do. And don't start attacking me to try to distract from the fact that you're posting information that is just plain false, from which you stand to gain financially if people believe it.

I don't have any maladjustment. But I don't go around posting numbers that are just plain wrong or descriptions of a car's technical systems that are flat out wrong.

Man! you don't let up. Now I know why I stopped posting here. If I wanted this kind of abuse on a daily basis, I would have stayed married to my 1st wife!

Lud was kind enough to correct my misconception on the TCS, but that doesn't give you the right to continue to jam me up over it. Can't a guy make a mistake around here. Jeez!

------------------
Gordon G. Miller, III

Can't a guy make a mistake around here. Jeez!

Sure. And maybe we can avoid getting upset if we just say "Jeez, I made a mistake", and move on. Sounds like a plan to me, no?

FWIW, here are some numbers that are probably more realistic figures for the purchase of a new 2001 NSX-T, ignoring local license and registration type fees:

$82,000 - Purchase price
3,690 - sales tax (assuming 4.5 percent)
1,760 - luxury tax
$87,450 - Total

If you pick up a leftover 2000 NSX-T (and there are still a few around, from reports here), you can save the $5,000 incentive, so it comes out to $82,450.

If you buy a used car for $75,000 you'll still pay sales tax on it so (again assuming 4.5 percent) your total outlay will be $78,375.

Bottom line is that a used car such as G-man's offer might save you $4,000 over the cost of a new 2000 model, and $9,000 over the cost of a new 2001 model. But you'll have SOME miles on it, and the warranty won't be good for four years like on a new car. Worth considering, using these assumptions and numbers? Maybe, maybe not. Use the best numbers you can and make the decision that makes sense based on them.

$82,000 - Purchase price
3,690 - sales tax (assuming 4.5 percent)
1,760 - luxury tax
$87,450 - Total

If you pick up a leftover 2000 NSX-T (and there are still a few around, from reports here), you can save the $5,000 incentive, so it comes out to $82,450

If you have a dealer with inventory in stock selling cars this cheap in season let me know. Every dealer I checked with when I bought mine sold cars at $88K for full retail especially in CA. I just don't see dealers selling cars for $82K and then givening $5K of incentives on top of that. If you are going to throw numbers like that out and call them realistic then please provide at least one authorizes Acura Dealer selling cars for that price. I don't see any.

Oh, you are always free to just admit that you are mistaken.
biggrin.gif

------------------
Gordon G. Miller, III

Gee, G-man, I was making a peace gesture when you admitted making a mistake. Obviously I was mistaken - in thinking that you would admit such a thing or be receptive to any kind of gesture. You might as well admit it - you returned to the forums only (a) to sell your car, and (b) to raise a ruckus.

So let's go over all the things you've said. Are you now still claiming that luxury tax when buying a new NSX today is $5-7K? And that people are buying cars just like yours for $7-10K more than you're asking for it (like you would really sell for less if that were true)? And that the NSX TCS uses the brakes and the Porsche version adds power? Maybe there's a bridge you'd like to sell us along with that car of yours...

Originally posted by G-man:
Every dealer I checked with when I bought mine sold cars at $88K for full retail especially in CA. I just don't see dealers selling cars for $82K and then givening $5K of incentives on top of that.

G-MAN,
Sorry G-man but I have to agree with NSXTASY about the pricing and incentive. I just bought my 2000 in February and I paid close to $76K for it, including floor mats and factoy CD changer. Our sales tax in California is 8% and there was the $5K incentive at the time, so out the door price including luxury tax and license and registration was around $84K. NSXTASY's prices seem to be right on target. You probably called California dealers when they didn't have any NSXs in stock and would have needed to special order one or do a dealer inventory look up for you to find one. Then you wouldn't have gotten as good a deal than if they had one setting in stock for months. The key was to find a dealer that had any NSXs in stock, which very few had. By the way, why are you selling your 2000 so soon?

------------------
'00 NSX-T, silverstone/blk, #252

[This message has been edited by CChung (edited 25 April 2001).]

I bought my 97 Silver T at 1998 (brand new) for a mere 67k!!! Doh! I don't know where you got your yellow T, but 82k for a brand new nsx is a rip-off regardless of colors.

Well, anyway, a lucky guy picked up my nsx for a 60k, which translate to a 7k loss (of coz you need to include all the losses in taxes and stuff=>net loss of about 10k++). Not too much loss considering I got to drive it for 2 years plus and put on 14k miles on it.

I dare say a left over, brand new 2000 NSX would sell less than 75k for sure. I mean come on, who really spends on a brand new nsx these days? It's a 10 year old car for Christ's sakes!

Looking forward to the totally revamped V8 or V10 nsx.... That will surely have me back as a buyer... until then, am salivating at the F360 spider now... anyone got 80k to spare?

Originally posted by NasiRames:

...I dare say a left over, brand new 2000 NSX would sell less than 75k for sure....

I just struck a deal on a new 2000 (21 miles) and will take delivery next week. I won't say exactly what the price is because I don't have it in my hand right now. But NasiRames is correct.

I looked high and low for a nice preowned or a new NSX for months and just about know the price for every '97+ one that's out there. I am very happy with my deal.

This time next week I'll post the details of the sale along with some pics.

Selling and buying cars are emotional processes, so I would hope that this kind of discussion isn't the norm here.

Emotional? I find it depressing to know that a brand new 2000 NSX (albeit in 2001) could sell for as low as $75K.

When I bought my 2000 in March, 2000, I certainly did NOT buy mine at full MSRP, but I also didn't get it as low as dealer's invoice...and, of course, I did have to pay CA sales tax and luxury tax. So being able to walk away with a new NSX for around $75K WOULD be about $20K less than what I paid for mine after all was said and done.

Hmmmm...at least I'm glad I bought mine last year.. With the way the stock market has tanked since then, I wouldn't be able to justify such a purchase this year.

[This message has been edited by akira3d (edited 27 April 2001).]

Whoa there -- before someone considering buying a 2001 NSX reads these last few posts and gets the wrong information, we should clarify that the "low" prices we are talking about (75k) involve a $5000 incentive plus the negotiating skill of the buyer. Also note that luxury and sales tax are tacked on after you get done negotiating your screaming deal. AKIRA3D, lest you feel too bad, I also bought a 2000 before the incentives were in place, and the price, before taxes, was around $81k. I pushed pretty hard for that price, and felt like it was about a low as my dealer would go. So, had the incentive been in place, the price would have been around 76k. Not a bad price for a great car, but again, tax, title and license change the picture.

Hi G-Man, nice to hear from you again!
You did not pay too much for your car. Most people paid what you paid for and some paid even more. The problem is that you didn't have any incentives in place when you purchased your car. In 1996 new NSX-Ts where being sold for $64K because there was a 15K rebate from Honda. You bought a 2000, I bought a '99 when there was a 10K rebate from Honda so I paid a lot less than you did. Two dealers turned down my offer before another one from outside CA took it. The car had been sitting on the showroom for 8 months before my offer came in so they were more than willing to negotiate.

I don't think you can get a new 2000 for less than 75K today before tax, license and luxury tax (small today). Your car is a touch overpriced but not too much. Many people would consider your price a good deal. Good luck selling it, and welcome back to the forum - don't let NSXtacy get to you, that's just the way he is.

Fascinating info on pricing...

What conclusions can one draw from the various incentives packages offered over the years?

Why did Honda have a 15K incentive in 96, then 10K, now about 5K? Is this declining pattern in incentives reflective of declining production?

Based on past posts, it appears that Honda builds a certain number of NSX's on speculation and some made to order. Can anyone offer an explanation how incentives may have been tied to the ebb and flow of spec versus made to order production over the last four years?

don't let NSXtacy get to you, that's just the way he is.

I was just trying to be helpful by setting the record straight - you know, like that FAQ guy. Thanks to everyone for also helping by providing real numbers, real facts.

Originally posted by nsxman:
Why did Honda have a 15K incentive in 96, then 10K, now about 5K?

I could understand the $15k for the 96s probably due to the new changes to the 97+ NSXs. The Targa, 3.2L 290HP, & 6spd. One thing I'm not sure is why the incentives are getting less and less. Maybe there was too much inventory around?

Originally posted by NasiRames:
until then, am salivating at the F360 spider now... anyone got 80k to spare?

Like you I've been in love with the Modena since I got a ride in one in Italy. Here the spider is selling for around $190k+. There's a new 360 spider for sale at my local dealer that was ordered by a local who canceled after it arrived. He ate the deposit so I figure he was upside down in the market.

Threads like this one make me want to sell my NSX and move the modena. We're all owners or admirers of the NSX. Why can't we get along?

Also Ken, I too have noticed a change in your post. Take it as feedback from someone who admires your knowledge and love of the NSX. You've personally have contributed to the success of the car and I thank you for that. You have a great wealth of knowledge that I appreciate and enjoy learning from you.

AND like you I get tired of threads repeating topics and wish people would look in the FAQ first as Lud has an excellent site. However lately it's not what you say but how you say it. Please keep posting but keep in mind some us are not at your level and are often posting as a quick stress break from work. I make lot's of mistakes and don't worry about others unless they're giving damaging advise.

As far as the value of the NSX. Personally I hope it holds it's value. The value of a used NSX is determined by many factors: year, quanity produced that year, color, mileage, maintenance record, abuse, mods, etc. I looked at over 15 cars before buying mine. Prices varied between $6k to $8k. It was pretty easy to see the difference and appreciate why some were worth more than others.

While a new NSX price varies too, it's due to some of the same factors effecting used NSXs. Here in Portland a brand new white NSX with 22 miles sat for over year. I keep visiting the dealer month after month and he wouldn't drop his price. Finally he decided to unload it because he took 4 used NSXs on trade within 2 months. Before I got a call from my rep someone from Montana picked it up at cost.

For the past 6+ months he's had a yellow NSX that he wants list for and will not move on the price. Why? Because it's a hot color and there are NO new NSXes for sale in the area. He still has it today.

So while your calculations are correct and people are picking up NSXs at varying prices I think it's important that people understand there are other factors that come into play. Most recently the stock market has effected the price of exotic cars. Really good deals can be found on almost any exotic if you look and have cash. If the market conditions change don't see this trend continuing.

Also the list/cost price of the NSX has increased over the years. So comparing what someone was able to pick up a new 98 for in 99 versus what you'd have to pay for a 00 in 01 is not a fair comparision. There's a 2 year difference. Any way you cut it the 98 new or used is worth less than a 00.

As far as warranty... my car was a 95 that was orignally purchased in early 96. I picked it up with 4200 miles on it. Before signing the papers I ask my dealer if Honda would honor the 5 year warranty. The answer was yes and they have performed some minor warranty repairs. So I wouldn't assume that the warranty is void if you buy an NSX second hand. I would check with the local dealer where your plan on having it serviced.

Who buys new NSXes these day? Well I know 2 people who in the last month picked new ones. Who pays list? There are lot's of people who can afford and do buy them with cash at list. These same people drop $10k in a bar for fun, and believe me we have fun. Let's just hope these people keep buying the NSX and sell them with low miles.

My last comment is one that is becoming more and more of an issue for me. The NSX is not just a 10 year old car. The NSX is truely an engineered work of art. I can guarentee you that my italian friends admire the NSX and used it as a kick in the a$$ to do more. I will be a the Farrari factory in 2 weeks and they all know I drive an NSX. When people start positioning the NSX this way the value and effort that Honda poured into it is being flushed. Let's hope the NSX doesn't just become another car. BTW is the Dino just another car?

------------------
Hal Jones
Lake Oswego, Oregon
95T Blk\Blk SportShift

[This message has been edited by hejo (edited 28 April 2001).]

Back