• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

No Sleep Til Brooklands - Slow Evolution of a Forever Car

Here’s a sound clip of some fly-bys. It’s not bad and I’m pretty happy in isolation. However, there was a 992 GT3 there and that sound was so much cleaner more like a single note from an instrument. It’s the goal.

This clip here is a GT3 with an aftermarket exhaust as a reference.

Also man this car is taking a beating from all the rock and stone chips from the tires!
36D24CAF-12BE-43DA-A108-C84D149D45B7.jpeg
E48862B5-5436-4857-9536-5FEB78697985.jpeg
F352C770-601D-4331-950C-2B593BC4E797.jpeg

The bare aluminum wing supports are a bit out of place, Id personally powdercoat them either matte black or a dark color. Just my opinion. Car looks great and great read.

Yeah, PPF is pretty much mandatory for the rear spats and the front bumper. These cars are so low that they pick up all the trash from other cars in front.

Glad to see this car out there running hard!

The bare aluminum wing supports are a bit out of place, Id personally powdercoat them either matte black or a dark color. Just my opinion. Car looks great and great read.
You're 100% right, and thank you for reminder, I've just been a little lazy. I'm looking to get them anodized for a slightly more durable/sleeker look, but that's been my excuse to run around with unfinished stands! ;P

Yeah, PPF is pretty much mandatory for the rear spats and the front bumper. These cars are so low that they pick up all the trash from other cars in front.

Glad to see this car out there running hard!

I messed up! Will definitely get to that when I get the paint redone or touched up. It's BEAT in such a short time.

In other news picked up an Angus AP-X exhaust which follows a very similar line of thinking to what I was trying to achieve with my custom one. It even uses the same resonator! Hope to try it out this weekend and see how it sounds!

51E79079-5060-4EE0-9E02-420B010BD4C7.jpeg
62F37248-2830-4523-BE48-1769E53BD9CB.jpeg

Last edited:
Your car reminds me of Project NSX from Speedhunters in Australia. I also have a green 94, and my third gear grind was also fixed by a trans flush hah.

Yeah Blake and I message a bit back and forth on Instagram (find him @blaketjones ). We have VERY similar tastes and goals so I really respect what he's done with his car.

Some co-workers setup a private streets of willow track day and I was able to make it last minute. It was just over 30deg in the morning and RT660s needed like 4 laps before they even got close to warmed up! The sun came out and it warmed up to almost 70deg. Well as things were starting to warm up, I got real loose coming into the Left hander after the kink (running Clockwise). I was able to catch it and hold it, but at some point the car is going quite slow and I'm still in a slide... I was confused why the car hadn't recovered. Anyways slide the through the skidpad, which also felt more loose than normal and get meatball flagged for mechanical (look in the rear view and I see a lot of smoke!). Oh no.. I drove to the track, am I going to need to tow this home? I also felt so bad as I really slick down a critical area of the track, I was worried people were going to careen off the back end of the braking zone!

Once in the pit everyone there swarmed it and we collectively tried to diagnose the issue. It turns out it was just a main coolant hose engine out to radiator. It had a 4in burst! Luckily I brought my coveralls and got to work, was able to remove it and bum a ride in a Lotus Exige (badass!) to Autozone, and played the game 'Is this hose close enough in shape/size'. Well won that game and got one SUPER close just 1" longer on one side. Replaced it, refilled with purified water and got a few more laps in before driving it home. Crisis averted, no engine damage and back on the road so all in all not bad!

While I was waiting for my car to cool down a buddy let me lap his e46 m3 and I realized, wow my car's chassis balance IS messed up. The M3 was delightful in balance, composed, but easy to coax into a slide with brakes, steering, or throttle application. In my car I was constantly just balancing and tip toeing on the rear axle waiting for it to catch grip. Especially in the skid pad area, I'd just be constantly counter-steering just trying to be patient for corner exit. It felt painfully slow. I decided I need to find a way to get the front tires engaged before the next day, or at least come ready with 3-4 things to try.

Current setup
  • OEM bars
  • KW V3 (stock spring rates which I believe at 6.6kg/mm front and rear)
  • Front dampers: 3/15 clicks comp, 12/20 clicks rebound
  • Rear dampers: 7/15 clicks comp, 12/20 clicks rebound
  • 215/40/17 and 255/35/18 RT660

Current plan of attack there is
  • Disconnect rear bar
  • Rear dampers: 3/15 clicks comp, 4/20 clicks rebound
  • non compliance toe links
hopefully I can overshoot my target and just get TOO MUCH stability and then work backwards... we'll see what happens next

image6.jpeg
image5 (1).jpegimage3 (1).jpegimage0 (3).jpeg

Well I ended up modifying the Angus AP-X to suit the sound I want again and came away happy. I need to do some fly by sound clips etc! The best part of the whole day was someone came over from another track and was looking around my car while I'm replacing a hose, we got chatting a bit. He wanted to know how my car sounded like that, he complained his Ferrari F12 didn't sound as good. That was the best compliment I've ever gotten.

Last edited:
Hard to say. What camber do you have on the rear ? It seems that the rear outside tire is struggling. Going softer will perhaps not get you better.

Personally, I never had any problem with the rear sliding even on hard tail braking. I am running more compression and I have the Dali front and rear race bars set both loose.

did you manage rear tire pressures, with a 40* temp increase plus the heat generated by cornering I could see your pressures well over 40 inducing oversteer..

Nice job on the Autozone save!!

Now that you're back home, I'd run a block gas test just to be sure. The same thing happened to me at the track at 2012 NSXPO (not a blown hose, but tons of air sucked in through a loose bleeder). The car would run fine normally, but if you got on it, it would blow bubbles into the coolant. It passed a compression test, but failed the block gas- head gaskets were blown.

Nice job on the Autozone save!!

Now that you're back home, I'd run a block gas test just to be sure. The same thing happened to me at the track at 2012 NSXPO (not a blown hose, but tons of air sucked in through a loose bleeder). The car would run fine normally, but if you got on it, it would blow bubbles into the coolant. It passed a compression test, but failed the block gas- head gaskets were blown
Good thought! It’d be really nice to have the piece of mind! I’m unfamiliar with a block test tbh. I’ll have to do some googling.

did you manage rear tire pressures, with a 40* temp increase plus the heat generated by cornering I could see your pressures well over 40 inducing oversteer..

Good thought! I kept pressures to <35psi hot. Started them at ~26psi cold. I reduced the rear a couple psi lower than the front too.

Hard to say. What camber do you have on the rear ? It seems that the rear outside tire is struggling. Going softer will perhaps not get you better.

Personally, I never had any problem with the rear sliding even on hard tail braking. I am running more compression and I have the Dali front and rear race bars set both loose.

Yeah totally agree the rear tires are just not happy either from too much load transfer or compliance/for steer. Some aftermarket bars may be a step 4 if I can’t get the stability I’m looking for. I’ve read good things about those Dali ones! What springs/dampers do you have too?

Man I need a ride in this car to figure out my suspension options
Depends on your objective. If you plan on tracking, the rear non-compliance pieces (beam bushing and toe arm) make the most difference. Big front sway and small (or none if you race) rear sway. Some of us have replaced the suspension bushings with firmer options- it makes a big difference in responsiveness and makes the car feel new again.

JRZ, MCS, Penske and Ohlins for the ballers ($5,000 to $10,000+).

KW V3 for everyone else. ($2,500)

:D

Honestly the KW will already be better than what most regular drivers could ever push the car to at their talent level.

I used to recommend BC for street cars, but they recently stopped custom valving the shocks, so I moved to Fortune Auto as my default recommendation. You can even track on some of their higher trim models.

If you like OEM, the Type-S is the best all-around option for the NSX. It just can't be improved and it works everywhere. The NA2 NSX-R is the ultimate setup if performance is your goal. It's still phenomenal even after all these years. The guys at MCS love the NSX-R setup- it's that good.

Man I need a ride in this car to figure out my suspension options
Any time! I still have some work to do to get my handling balance in line.

Honcho nailed it. I ended up landing that KW V3 is the right value. In other platforms KWs are the pricey ones so it was nice to see an affordable quality product offered. Ride is exactly where I want it to be too, which I’ve been disappointed on many other aftermarket options.

Honcho nailed it. I ended up landing that KW V3 is the right value. In other platforms KWs are the pricey ones so it was nice to see an affordable quality product offered. Ride is exactly where I want it to be too, which I’ve been disappointed on many other aftermarket options.
Smart man- the KW are fantastic and durable too. Almost like OEM.

thank you.

i have a track car.my goal with nsx is more street performance for fun weeekend corner carving

thanks both of you for info

Back