• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Non standard factory outer tie rod replacement

After 130,000 miles my 1995 NSX-T outer tie rod was becoming a bit loose so I ordered a new one. When it arrived, I removed the old one and discovered that the new one wouldn't fit.
Turns out the original tie rod has a 10mm x 1.25mm stud but the new replacement tie rod has a 12mm x 1.25mm stud. The tapered portion is the same on both units, it is just the stud portion which is a different size. After checking with both Honda and Acura, they say they only show one part and it was 12mm x 1.25mm. I've had the car since 2000 and I know the steering assembly has never been worked on. The inner tie rod has the same 10mm stud as well so I believe it came from the factory this way. Has anyone else run into this problem with your tie rods ? If so, were you able to find a replacement tie rod assembly or a replacement 10mm bushing that fits into the standard tie rod ? Worst case, I can drill out the top of the existing steering knuckle to accept the new 12mm stud but would prefer to keep using OEM or known replacement parts if possible.

Thanks for any insights....

After 130,000 miles my 1995 NSX-T outer tie rod was becoming a bit loose so I ordered a new one. When it arrived, I removed the old one and discovered that the new one wouldn't fit.
Turns out the original tie rod has a 10mm x 1.25mm stud but the new replacement tie rod has a 12mm x 1.25mm stud. The tapered portion is the same on both units, it is just the stud portion which is a different size. After checking with both Honda and Acura, they say they only show one part and it was 12mm x 1.25mm. I've had the car since 2000 and I know the steering assembly has never been worked on. The inner tie rod has the same 10mm stud as well so I believe it came from the factory this way. Has anyone else run into this problem with your tie rods ? If so, were you able to find a replacement tie rod assembly or a replacement 10mm bushing that fits into the standard tie rod ? Worst case, I can drill out the top of the existing steering knuckle to accept the new 12mm stud but would prefer to keep using OEM or known replacement parts if possible.

Thanks for any insights....

Weird- I wonder if there was a part number update to the 12mm? I'll check my 92 and measure the stud.

I recently rebuilt & replaced my steering rack and with it the tie rods and ran into the same thing. At first I thought maybe I got the wrong year, but didn't see any indication that the PN had changed. I realized that the bushing with the hole that is too small can be removed from the steering knuckle, so I did that and re-drilled it to fit the 12mm stud. A warning, the steel that the bushing is made from is very hard. I spent a lot of time drilling it out and had to step up drill bit sizes in small increments. After I was done and inspected my old tie rod ends I felt better about the 12mm studs and threads, as the old 10mm ones had corroded away and particularly around where the castle nut and cotter pin holes were the threads looked stretched and worn. I'll take the extra strength and robustness of the 12mm stud!

Thanks JVTEC95 for the confirmation that I wasn't loosing my mind :). Would be very interesting to know why/how these 10mm components originally got installed in the first place.......Greatly appreciate the heads up with regards to the hardness of the steel bushing and recommendation for stepped drilling. Will do so and go ahead with the installation of the new 12mm tie rods. Thanks again !

Back