• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Norcal: Clutch replacement cost? Price went up?

Need some thoughts and advice please:

My 1991 NSX is on it's first clutch, and it's almost at 70,000 miles now. The clutch is still good, no slipping, but I'm looking for prices of replacing the clutch.

The shop that I bring it to is Hilltop Auto with Don. He did my tires and oil change in Feb, and he's a good guy, lot of recommendations from local NSXers.

My question:
Did the price of the NSX clutch+ install go up?

I called Don today, and he told me that the clutch price was approx $1500 + $1000 labor, and after taxes and everything, he gave me a quote about $2990 for everything.
He also said it is 2 days of labor.

Isn't that a little high? I've searched through this forum, and the price that I'm finding is about $2500 to $2700 for everything.
Clutch prices that I found were approx $1200+shipping so about $1280 total.

How much did it cost for you to replace your clutch?
How long ago was that?
Did the price go up?

Any advice or thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Need some thoughts and advice please:

1. How much did it cost for you to replace your clutch?
2. How long ago was that?
3. Did the price go up?

1. $1150 (replacement cost for OEM - Did it myself)
2. 6 months ago
3. Unknown

P.S.
Number 1 is not completely correct. I spent $550 on a transmission jack. But all of my cars are manual transmissions so I'll get my money back.....oh, wait a minute, I did already :smile: .

I haven't done mine but knowing that everything has gone up like gas, food, rent I have to imagine Don is just compensating for his overhead. my suggestion would be buy your own parts as that is someything you can control:cool:

Call Shad @ Driving Ambition 916-861-0032, The service is great and you get what you pay for. There is no one that is as knowledgeable and talented with the NSX Anywhere.....

Steve Ghent
NSXCA Sacramento Chapter
Vice President
[email protected]

I Grok NSX: Where did you buy your clutch for that price?
What was needed/included? Throwout bearing needed/included in price?

Bought the clutch set here on NSXPrime in the Parts for Sale section. Price was $1150 and included the throwout bearing, flywheel and shipping! Borrowed the alignment tool from Larry Bastanza. I replaced the CV joint boot while I had the transmission down.

I was looking for a clutch and just kept watching the Parts for Sale section. Keep watching. Someone will buy a OEM clutch and decide to put in something else.

Ok, a short update
For Don it is about $2880 or so.
I called up Foreign Affair and they said it is about $2800 or so.

Don's wife said the customer cannot bring in parts.
Foreign Affair said they do not price match, but they will allow the customer to bring in parts. However, they will not warranty the service if you do.

Driving Ambition is VERY far away from me.

My clutch is still ok, but I'm probably going to go to FA if I need one, because it's much closer to me.
Clutch is about a 10 hour job, so it's 2 days and a big hassle for me to get people to drive me around to pick up my NSX again.

Anyone have any other thoughts for replacing a clutch in the Bay Area?
Thanks in advance.

Ok, a short update
For Don it is about $2880 or so.
I called up Foreign Affair and they said it is about $2800 or so.

Don's wife said the customer cannot bring in parts.
Foreign Affair said they do not price match, but they will allow the customer to bring in parts. However, they will not warranty the service if you do.

Driving Ambition is VERY far away from me.

My clutch is still ok, but I'm probably going to go to FA if I need one, because it's much closer to me.
Clutch is about a 10 hour job, so it's 2 days and a big hassle for me to get people to drive me around to pick up my NSX again.

Anyone have any other thoughts for replacing a clutch in the Bay Area?
Thanks in advance.

Do whatever Don says. Don will be canonized (sp?) soon by the Pope.

Back