• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX ─ Light weight LITHIUM Iron Phosphate batteries (LiFePO4) options

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The cells in my Antigravity battery started to bloat and stretch out the case so I was done with them. The cells were actually imported cheapies of low quality. I will be curious to see what the lifespan of these Li batteries is and if the charging protocol of the car will play well with BMS in the battery? This has been of problem with other cars that use the HV battery to charge the 12V when switching from an AGM to Li.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The battery terminals I ordered did not show today. I ended up going to ACE HW and came up with a short time fix.

Attachments

• 961E29DA-C3E3-4E8D-9BB7-5577258A8426.jpeg
    961E29DA-C3E3-4E8D-9BB7-5577258A8426.jpeg
    146.4 KB · Views: 10
  • 4BB2119D-192D-4D6F-AE6A-DAE05BA4062F.jpeg
    4BB2119D-192D-4D6F-AE6A-DAE05BA4062F.jpeg
    144.2 KB · Views: 10
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much charge can the LI batteries in the car hold..I know the KW/hr rating but is there a max capacity?

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This particular battery is 12.8 Volt 50 Ah. 7.79" x 6.53" x 6.69"
Charging Voltage is 14.4 +- 0.2 volts at 10A
Max Continuous Load Power: 640W
Max Continuous Charge/Discharge Current: 50A
Max Discharge Current 5 seconds 100A
I am using the CTEK Trickle Charger for Lithium Batteries, seems to work ok.
Was only $220 delivered.
www.litime.com

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apparently my made up battery posts failed. I lost electrical connection. Fortunately I made it home before turning the engine off. The battery posts were hot indicating that the electrical connection had a lot of impedance. I had ordered some posts through Amazon. They came in but were all 6 mm per the spec sheet. The actual size was 8 mm. So I took one set and drilled out the hole to allow the 8mm bolts. That worked, but the terminals are really not large enough in diameter. I was able to tighten down the cables. I will see how well this works. There was never any issues of charging. The car does well at idle and 3000 rpm.
Where did you get your terminals for the battery?

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had ordered the 8mm terminals and they began coming in. One set that has extended terminals worked best. They allowed the existing cables to easily attach. Once set up the connections were solid. I drove the car around and no problems in charging. I also used some anti corrosion grease to insure a clean electrical connection.

I did not want to cut up the existing battery cover, but realize that the duel radiator fans blow a lot of hot air against the battery. I will explore buying another top and adapting it as well as fabricating a barrier. When I soldered copper pipes in the past I used a blanket asbestos like that kept the torsch flame from burning the surrounding surface. They sell sheets that are black, so I ordered a few. I just need to prevent the hot air from directly hitting the front of the battery. One way or another I am going to make this work.339DA60F-B41E-4CB4-9808-AF4D5E9ABE58.jpeg

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The cells in my Antigravity battery started to bloat and stretch out the case so I was done with them. The cells were actually imported cheapies of low quality. I will be curious to see what the lifespan of these Li batteries is and if the charging protocol of the car will play well with BMS in the battery? This has been of problem with other cars that use the HV battery to charge the 12V when switching from an AGM to Li.
Did you use the OEM battery holder and cover? If not then the heat from the radiator probably around 200 degrees F was enough to affect the outside plastic. What do you think?

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The battery fits in nicely and the weight savings is incredible. I installed mine about 3+ weeks ago and its been working great...

I think the battery is a GREAT investment for the NSX... Now just delete the rear exhaust and you will have approx another 30lb weight reduction in the rear, for a total of approx 60lb!

Last edited:
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered some welders fireproof sheets that I will hang to cover the front of the battery. I used an old one that has islets making it easy to hang. Tried it out and the front of the battery no longer gets hot. You can barely see it. I may buy a top to the OEM cover and see if I can nicely adapt it.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you use the OEM battery holder and cover? If not then the heat from the radiator probably around 200 degrees F was enough to affect the outside plastic. What do you think?

Battery bloat from Li batteries is relatively common especially with cheapie cells - I don’t think the heat had anything to do with it.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Battery bloat from Li batteries is relatively common especially with cheapie cells - I don’t think the heat had anything to do with it.
You make some good points. I will watch carefully to see if any issues Develop. The supplier I purchased from has focused on the battery energy storage back up industry and is new to the automotive industry.