• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX and C8 side by Side

My neighbor down the street runs a high performance driving school, and has always had a Vette in his stable, and he just got his C8 a couple weeks ago, so I stopped by with the NSX to see the car and compare. First C8 I have seen. My purpose is not to promote the C8 nor bash it, just some pictures and comments on what I saw.....

I think Chevrolet did a commendable job. It was impressive in the metallic orange paint, that ironically is nearly identical to the 2019 NSX orange. The C8 is BIG..... the arch over the side windows is nearly the same as the NSX. It is much more angular and has many sharp edges. The NSX has much more rounded flowing curves. The Vette looks like..... well, a Vette. It sounds like a Vette too. I'm sure I'll get to drive it at some point..... We wondered if the body was still fiberglass or not. I pushed a little on a fender edge and it flexed, making me think it's aluminum. I thought that the vent on the side of the door looked like cheap plastic, and was not of a high quality look. I felt the build quality was obviously better on the NSX than the C8. The C8 interior was interesting looking, although I did not yet sit in it. Certainly a lot of car for the money, but I would not trade my NSX in for it. I'm sure there are higher HP versions on the horizon, but they will be much more expensive...... Anyway it was interesting to finally see one in person. I'm sure there will be LOTS of happy owners, although I understand, as the plant has been closed, that when the plant does finally reopen, the cars built will be titled as 2021's......
Also, I thought the rear end design was busy and cluttered and really not good.....

Here are the pics:

IMG_4945.JPG
IMG_4944.JPG
IMG_4949.JPG
IMG_4947.JPG
IMG_4942.JPG

Last edited:
I have owned probably 5 or more Vets in my past. The last two new ones were an 85 and an 86. We upgraded the 85 and kept the 86 for around 10 years. The cars have certainly improved over the years. The C8 has to be one of the best Vets yet. As you noted while a great price point, there will be a lot on the road. So from limited standpoint probably not the car I would want. Having said that, the performance per dollar is hard to argue with. It will force other manufacturers to insure their product better reflects their price point. Or at least I hope it will. I also agree that the rear is a bit too busy with that wing. If I could go back in time and take the cash I put out for the NSX and purchase the Vet, I would not even consider doing it. In the end I am ecstatic with the NSX.

Thanks for posting.

It sounds like you had limited time or access so I understand not giving us more but it would have been interesting to see the cars in different positions to compare them - for example nose to nose, back to back, profiles in alignment.

Here is my assessment:

Nose: C8 by a....nose
Back: NSX - cleaner and meaner
Roof: NSX - beautiful and integrated
Side: NSX - aggressive without trying too hard
Proportions: C8 - the NSX needs to take about 3 inches from the front overhang and move it to the rear.

Overall, its a toss up.

When you get a chance to sit in the C8, i would like to hear your thoughts on the interior and visibility - especially forward visibility.

Thanks for posting.

It sounds like you had limited time or access so I understand not giving us more but it would have been interesting to see the cars in different positions to compare them - for example nose to nose, back to back, profiles in alignment.

Here is my assessment:

Nose: C8 by a....nose
Back: NSX - cleaner and meaner
Roof: NSX - beautiful and integrated
Side: NSX - aggressive without trying too hard
Proportions: C8 - the NSX needs to take about 3 inches from the front overhang and move it to the rear.

Overall, its a toss up.

When you get a chance to sit in the C8, i would like to hear your thoughts on the interior and visibility - especially forward visibility.

I think the NSX is a far better looking car. It has a more cohesive design. The Vette looks like they had three different people design each section.
That said I want one badly ...

MC

I saw a metallic gray C8 on the road last week. Not bad in that color as it hides some of the odd styling. Its distinctly Chevy from the rear, Corvette from the front, and confused on the side.

Its like the NSX designers didn't try quite hard enough and the C8 designers tried a little too much.

I saw a metallic gray C8 on the road last week. Not bad in that color as it hides some of the odd styling. Its distinctly Chevy from the rear, Corvette from the front, and confused on the side.

Its like the NSX designers didn't try quite hard enough and the C8 designers tried a little too much.

Agreed!

Six of us car enthusiasts decided to get out of the house and headed from Scottsdale to Payson about 75 miles of great road up hiway 87. Because many of the part time residents have headed back to Canada and the East the road was pretty empty for a Friday at 9am. One of the group has a new C8 with the Z51 package in Accelerate Yellow. He's a track junkie like me but sane enough to keep the antics off the public roads. We all took turns leading the pac as the traffic thinned out getting some quick sprints.
I thought Chevy did a good overall job with the front design from all perspectives. Not as clean as the NSX. Packaging a V8 obviously created some issues with cooling and the side sculpture but still clean in the engine intake. The NC1 uses the side to not only cool but add to the down force. Where the design falls apart is having to look at the rear for any period of time. It's like well we've got these Camaro tail lights and we need down force so we'll add this wing. Where the NSX achieves aero though the flat bottom and flying buttress ala Ford GT, the C8 hangs the two stage wing.
The interior is light years ahead of previous vetts. The owner did mention some trim and wear items needed attention as it was one of the first delivered. The interior is smaller than the NC1 but looks great.
So now I know what your thinking. Am I going to back down if I run up against one of these big brash V8's. After all the published reports are 0-60 in 2.9!
The NC1 is like 3.0. Until the Vett comes out with it's flat plane twin turbo you shouldn't have any problem running them down. If you have a JB4 you will crush them from a dig, from a roll. Road Course will be interesting. Until then.
Jimmy aka sled driver

Back