• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX Concept at NY Auto Show - Pics

The concept made its NY debut today and was getting rave reviews. One of the Acura reps came over to me to ask if I wanted to know anything about the car and I asked her if she wanted me to tell her anything about it. I explained my position with the NSXCA and then said I had been in Japan for Fiesta in 2010 and hinted that when we were at Honda R&D that we were given some info. She then admitted they know more than they are allowed to tell and she gets tired of only talking about the limited "talking points" they have been given.

Some comments she made:

1. They have a target 0-60
2. They will need to get it under 3000 lbs to hit the target
3. They will need to come in between 425 and 450 hp to hit the target
4. The beak will need some redesign because the concept has no headlights right now
5. They are not saying what the body is made of but the belief is a lot of carbon fiber is used to get it to make its sub 3000 lb weight
6. The batteries are "extremely small" and add "nominal" weight
7. The side mirrors will be kept as they appear on the concept
8. Much of the technology is being tested in the RLX
9. The brake kit on the concept allegedly is "taken" from a $25,000 Porsche racing kit, something the reps in the Porsche display have been pointing out, and will not be on the final car since it would never meet its price point with that kit.

And now some pics........

i-G9jGMMg-XL.jpg

i-x55pcG5-XL.jpg

i-jDmZfRN-XL.jpg

i-TFSCX5z-XL.jpg

i-jhzdd2D-XL.jpg

i-xJ9gxDJ-XL.jpg

i-RwRm24j-XL.jpg

i-FtVtx2M-XL.jpg

i-42b5SfX-XL.jpg

Thanks RSO; great pictures and insight. I was looking forward to your pictures since you mentioned it in the other thread. Good luck with the family by the way.

<3000lbs will not be easy. Using an AWD system and multiple electric motors and constraining utilization of rare materials to meet a reasonable price point makes that sound like an extremely difficult challenge. We are talking only 200-250lbs heavier than a Zonda/Koenigsegg, cars going for $1M.

That's like reinforcing a 2005 NSX with additional safety equipment, sound deadening, structural rigidity components, multiple electric motors, and shaving 250+lbs off of it. Good luck Honda, I believe in you.

Fantastic pics. Thanks RSO!

Under 3000lbs? I just don't see that happening. Surprise us Honda.

And surprise us by leaving those nasty stacked tailpipes off the car too. I thought the IS-F was in poor taste until I saw these... Sorry for the rant. Did you ask her if they are going to change the name since it's not really an NSX in any way??

The concept made its NY debut today and was getting rave reviews. One of the Acura reps came over to me to ask if I wanted to know anything about the car and I asked her if she wanted me to tell her anything about it. I explained my position with the NSXCA and then said I had been in Japan for Fiesta in 2010 and hinted that when we were at Honda R&D that we were given some info. She then admitted they know more than they are allowed to tell and she gets tired of only talking about the limited "talking points" they have been given.

Some comments she made:

1. They have a target 0-60
2. They will need to get it under 3000 lbs to hit the target
3. They will need to come in between 425 and 450 hp to hit the target
4. The beak will need some redesign because the concept has no headlights right now
5. They are not saying what the body is made of but the belief is a lot of carbon fiber is used to get it to make its sub 3000 lb weight
6. The batteries are "extremely small" and add "nominal" weight
7. The side mirrors will be kept as they appear on the concept
8. Much of the technology is being tested in the RLX
9. The brake kit on the concept allegedly is "taken" from a $25,000 Porsche racing kit, something the reps in the Porsche display have been pointing out, and will not be on the final car since it would never meet its price point with that kit.

And now some pics........

i-G9jGMMg-XL.jpg

i-x55pcG5-XL.jpg

i-jDmZfRN-XL.jpg

i-TFSCX5z-XL.jpg

i-jhzdd2D-XL.jpg

i-xJ9gxDJ-XL.jpg

i-RwRm24j-XL.jpg

i-FtVtx2M-XL.jpg

i-42b5SfX-XL.jpg

Hi,

Do she says about the release for the new NSX?

Thanks

Is cf really that much lighter than aluminum?

I think if they use it for door panels, truck/deck lids, and roof, they can save quite a bit of weight.

Even NA1/2 NSX can probably shed another 100lbs by using lighter muffler, header, less glasses, minus power seat rails, etc. The NA2 R with dual air bags weight around 2810 lbs.

I remember from the "goodbye NSX" article that Uehera said under 3000lb is a must for the next NSX, and even though he retired, I think there are still some engineers from the first NSX are still on board or still in the R&D department fiddling around.

3000 is very optimistic, but let's see what they can do with it.

What they really need is, get that car over 500 HP. 425 to 450 is simply not enough.

Last edited:
I have a question, if this car is going to have a battery to power the e motors, do they still need a start up battery?

<object id="vp1zF9h1" width="432" height="240" classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000"><param name="movie" value="http://static.animoto.com/swf/w.swf?w=swf/vp1&e=1333798135&f=zF9h1e5LJzw0K95sr2BRRQ&d=140&m=p&r=360p+720p&volume=100&start_res=360p&i=m&ct=Photography%20by%20Robert%20Ondrovic&cu=http://photography.RobertOndrovic.com&options="></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed id="vp1zF9h1" src="http://static.animoto.com/swf/w.swf?w=swf/vp1&e=1333798135&f=zF9h1e5LJzw0K95sr2BRRQ&d=140&m=p&r=360p+720p&volume=100&start_res=360p&i=m&ct=Photography%20by%20Robert%20Ondrovic&cu=http://photography.RobertOndrovic.com&options=" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="432" height="240"></embed></object>

if they have to redesign the front end maybe the beak will go away. I heard when I talked to the reps from the Omaha auto show(no display by the way :frown: ) that the headlights, wheels and Glass roof wouldn't make it to the production model.

Last edited:
BD,

I wondered the same thing. Also, I wonder if they need a starter motor since there is an electric motor in the transmission? Certainly, the absence of the starter battery & motor would save some weight.

It's a bummer about the headlights, as they play such a significant role in the concept's design. I was hoping they would use something like BMW's laser headlight technology to incorporate the design into the production model. I think it will be difficult to give the production model a unique exotic look without them, but I'll withhold judgment until I see the finished product.

Bob, now that you have seen it in person, has your personal opinion of the car changed? You admitted earlier that you had not fallen in love with the design; I was wondering if your sentiment had changed. I for one am passionate for the design and only find the rear end (someone mentioned tail pipes) lacking, but I have not seen it in person. I wonder if seeing it in person had any impact on your opinion.

I liked it more in person than I did in photos. However, I still dont have the "gotta have it" passion I did in '89. Still reminds me too much of an R8 and for the projected price tag I would rather buy a used R8 and keep my current NSX forever.

Great Pics Bob. I wasn't enamored by the concept car initially but I'm glad to here that it looks better in person.

My concern is that there are trying to infuse too much technology into a car. It will end up being priced out of the range of the 911/R8.

Not really that much. But it's much stronger. Ergo, you can use less of it and save weight that way.

maybe, but it does not crumple it explodes/shatters I wonder how they will satisfy the safety/crash regs.We can look twords Lambo for answers as they push the CF envelope.

I liked it more in person than I did in photos.

x2.

I actually spoke with a Rep myself this past saturday and he explained to me how Acura actually had a very similiar concept built in 2008 and they left it on a loading dock heading to an auto show and it cracked in half :eek::eek:
destroying the clay model (500k down the toilet) and Acura then put the project on the back burner til now.

Also, I explained my NSX knowledge and he was blown away how I actually knew more of the NSX than he did :biggrin:

It's ironic that one of the least popular colors "silver" was the choice for the concept car. It looks OK.

I think if they use it for door panels, truck/deck lids, and roof, they can save quite a bit of weight.

Even NA1/2 NSX can probably shed another 100lbs by using lighter muffler, header, less glasses, minus power seat rails, etc. The NA2 R with dual air bags weight around 2810 lbs.

I remember from the "goodbye NSX" article that Uehera said under 3000lb is a must for the next NSX, and even though he retired, I think there are still some engineers from the first NSX are still on board or still in the R&D department fiddling around.

3000 is very optimistic, but let's see what they can do with it.

What they really need is, get that car over 500 HP. 425 to 450 is simply not enough.

Why does it need more HP Vance?

Why does it need more HP Vance?

Because everything else has more HP.

HP sells cars, not electric motors. If this car is going to have a higher price tag than the ZR1, or even Z06, it needs more.

Because everything else has more HP.

HP sells cars, not electric motors. If this car is going to have a higher price tag than the ZR1, or even Z06, it needs more.

So if it performs on par or better since it's using newer tech it still needs more:confused: That's kind of cavemannish isn't it?? If you recall our NA2's cost more than the Z06 at the time but look at where the C5 Z06 is pricewise and for resale on comparative years and where did that 'more" get them? The C5 Z06 is a great car and I'm glad Chevy has always kept it competitive but that still didn't make me want it over the NSX.

Vance you should check out the performance of the new 911. "Only" 400hp and its right at the same 0-60 of the 500hp Z06. This is w/o the AWD traction and instant electric tq of NSX 2.0. So many here are hp crazed and tech is changing how much HP is needed. If you check stats these new DSG's are allowing engineers to really maximize hp getting to the ground. This in turn means less hp is needed.

If old Honda was able to get a 4.4 0-60 out of the old NA2 NSX-R at 2800lbs and the old tranny then what's to say at 3000lbs and 450hp with actual tq they can't drop a sec off that old time and get it into the mid 3's like the 458.

Do we even know the weight of the new 3.5 vs the 3.2? So little is known at this point we can't even make any serious judgements yet. Twenty years have passed they can probably keep the weight down. The AWD will be all electric so several hundred pounds saved there. Batteries were the largest concern and supposedly those will be extremely light weight.

Let's give it a chance if it sucks I'll be right there with you complaining. Thankfully most of the b*tching here has stopped but let's at least get some actual performance numbers before it starts again.

Back