• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX front and rear calipers on my Civic

Not sure if anyone here would be interested, but I've managed to get the brakes off an NSX and onto a Honda Civic. I know a lot of people are going to hate the idea, but I'll say I did it first for aestetics and secondly for performance. I do have the 91 brakes on back and 97 brakes up front since its a front engine FWD car, the stock NSX brake bias would be too much toward the rear. Anyway, don't know if you guys consider it insulting or flattering, here it is.

sideshotnsxfullbrakesas2.jpg

118nsxfrontscb5.jpg

111nsxrearsrf3.jpg

11.8" front brakes (which i know has been done) and 11.1" rear brakes onto my drum spindles with custom adapters. Sorry I didn't take better pictures.

As long as you didn't spend too much! And they're functional. Much better than some crazy NSX tail light conversion. Good work!

Wow, nice swap. I like it, although I'm not sure about the actual color of the caliper itself.

The question I have is, what do other people (esp. other Civic owners) say when they see NSX calipers on a civic?

Improving the brakes is always good idea, especially if you are gong to increase horsepower later.

A lot of enthusiasts upgrade their car from a better equipped/later model. Well done from a technical aspect.:smile:

I love the color. I coulda done something subtle, but this the first drum to NSX disc retrofit (that I'm aware of) and I made it myself. I want people to see these and know, haha.
Most ricers see em and go "cool!!!" and there are some that think its bull, but most respect it because the bracket took quite a while to machine and I did it in my free time.

Anyway, don't know if you guys consider it insulting or flattering

WHAT? Why would anyone be insulted dude? :smile:
I can't give you nothing but props. Nothing graces a Honda better than a Honda part! :) If it's functional then why not?

Well maybe something like "oh you dont need that much braking, you dont realize how the NSX brakes work" or something. Lotta NSX owners ive met online are real snobs about their cars. I built a 12.6" front brake setup for an NSX (4 piston RL calipers) and everyone bit my head off about it.

well, YOU dont need that much braking on your stock 1.6 liter civic, it is a decent setup for other people though and the nsx rear caliper setup is a nice look for nsx front caliper people instead itr/prelude rear calipers.

i remember your name off honda-tech, your the clown who was making fun of everybodys "stupid" volks and spoons becaus they dont have centercaps and then started crying when somebody found a picture of your civic(the one you posted) and posted it in the thread,

and FYI, alot of popular racing wheels dont have centercaps becaus
1)who cares
2)some racing doesnt allow them becaus they can fall off
3) contrary to your "they help brake cooling" theory, how in the hell would centercaps help brake cooling? if anything they would hinder the cooling by trapping hot air in the middle of the hub.

you did good work on the nsx brakes im not gonna lie, but you need a attitude readjustment and a new perspective, new style and new car wouldnt hurt either LOL

One of my friends has NSX calipers for his 9x Honda Accord.
He managed to fit them under 15'' rims too. There is NO clearance at all. It's pretty nice. The braking power that thing has now is amazing. It will throw you up against the seatbelt when he hits the brakes.

Well maybe something like "oh you dont need that much braking, you dont realize how the NSX brakes work" or something. Lotta NSX owners ive met online are real snobs about their cars. I built a 12.6" front brake setup for an NSX (4 piston RL calipers) and everyone bit my head off about it.

Then they are the ignorant ones. However, I don't think everyone bit your head off.:smile:

Looks good and nice execution. And if you ever track/AX your car, you'll obviously have a much better braking vehicle. The guy who bought my '91 calipers mounted them on a DC2 ITR and had good results. And I think Andrie had them on his EK race car.

You're bound to get some criticism. Don't worry about it so much..."water off a duck's back." ;)

Oh lord, its you. This is a forum of intelligent and sophisticated people, don't come in here and tell me I need an attitude adjustment when you come in and attack me without asking for my opinion first. That's just rude. So start off my thread on a new forum by antagonizing me, thanks. 'YOU dont need that much braking.' Thanks, but I don't want your opinion. I'll leave you alone if you leave me alone.

For those who don't know and actually care to read this, there was a guy on honda-tech. I said I didn't like the look of his expensive brake setup. Then he went to another thread, took the time and the effort to save a picture of my car, edit it, and rehost it himself for the sole reason of making fun of my car insted of defending his own. That's just dick, anyone here will agree to that.

Yes, on some cars, centercaps are for aestetics. No one wants to see your ugly axle nut; track cars are NOT showcars. I made a point how there are no stock production cars that come without them to this date. To me an aestetics thread about track cars seems sort of odd, they are function over form. I never said centercaps helped cooling, how could they??

actualy that wasnt me, and im not here to bitch, you just said some people might flame you for not needing that much brakes on your car and i said you and right and those people are actualy right, since it does make your 100hp 2600 pound car even slower, but those are just the facts

it is a good brake setup for some people though and i am in no way trying to antagonize your work on making that front and back brake setup, but some of your statements are very.... "bold"

im not going to start or continue this into a "flame" war, but yes one of your reasons on why centercaps were "kickass" you stated becaus they help with cooling, i wouldnt remember that if it wasnt so.....off the wall

but anyways. nice brakes

damn you guys are ruthless

can we keep it nice in here please

What ruthless? I don't see anything bad going on here!!!
I read over all the replies, and all I saw was just one person reminding seeing the OP else where. Other than that, we all giving the OP props for the work...
You will find snobs everywhere, but on Prime we have less than else where.

"Brake Expert"

"Lotta NSX owners ive met online are real snobs about their cars."

It's alittle bold to give this statement!!! wouldn't you think?
I am well aware of your presence since you first posted about RL Caliper Retrofit thread. Even in that thread, I cheered and defended you and so almost everyone else.
Then come back and called us "snobs" is just messed (fucked) up.

Yes I admit its a bold statment. Back in the day, car forums were about people who wanted to share their knowledge and overall, improve their own car and others. Now, there are many more people concerned with their online ego and are quick to judge. Based on my experience (and maybe I'm wrong or have had bad luck) a lot of NSX owners online tend to look down on other Honda owners just cause we cant afford an NSX when these individuals should be encouraging their fellow Honda bretheren so that they may one day get the chance to own an NSX themselves.

ANYWAY...

I'm upping the back to the Zanardi rears shortly, when I get em on the car, I will take pictures. Then I'm swapping the fronts off in favor of some Porsche calipers insted for weight reasons. The bias will be pretty off, so I'm contemplating an adjustable proportioning valve (Brembo calipers tend to use teeny pistons).

well, YOU dont need that much braking on your stock 1.6 liter civic, it is a decent setup for other people though and the nsx rear caliper setup is a nice look for nsx front caliper people instead itr/prelude rear calipers.

i remember your name off honda-tech, your the clown who was making fun of everybodys "stupid" volks and spoons becaus they dont have centercaps and then started crying when somebody found a picture of your civic(the one you posted) and posted it in the thread,

and FYI, alot of popular racing wheels dont have centercaps becaus
1)who cares
2)some racing doesnt allow them becaus they can fall off
3) contrary to your "they help brake cooling" theory, how in the hell would centercaps help brake cooling? if anything they would hinder the cooling by trapping hot air in the middle of the hub.

you did good work on the nsx brakes im not gonna lie, but you need a attitude readjustment and a new perspective, new style and new car wouldnt hurt either LOL

LOL! haha i got docked 1% on honda tech for joining that war with brake expert..., my ce28n's and endless caliper picture was laughed at by brake expert because i didn't have a center cap.

Shown here:
http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1842603&page=9

ats mark was the one who dug up the picture of brake expert's car...

most of everybody's posts were deleted tho..i must admit most of us took it too far tho haha :redface:

Looks good. I know that a lot of people are looking for NSX brakes on their Civic. And I think that if I sell my old NSX brakes I'm pretty sure that one of them will buy it.

LOL! haha i got docked 1% on honda tech for joining that war with brake expert..., my ce28n's and endless caliper picture was laughed at by brake expert because i didn't have a center cap.

Shown here:
http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1842603&page=9

ats mark was the one who dug up the picture of brake expert's car...

most of everybody's posts were deleted tho..i must admit most of us took it too far tho haha :redface:

LOL, well hey atleast you wernt banned for calling a internet bully a "fag" once, and posting some funny car for sale adds from craigslist(like three of them in a northwest picture thread) and having the "fag" pm a mod, so i was banned for saying "fag" once, and "spamming" craigslist adds,

h-t mods=:rolleyes:

haha damn that's pretty..uhh...dumb on HT's part lol...

imma repost what i put on b4, my thoughts on the calipers = overkill

if your goal was looks, there's caliper caps that you can get on ebay

for a one off look, sure, that's some great work...balla on a budget i suppose. imo, track cars can become show cars anyday..i won car shows back to back in my class, and my front bumper was trashed from daily driving.

Nice fabrication work, but cross drilling the rotors would make it look even better.

Interesting...but the car needs to be lowered and a nice blue paint job to match those calipers:wink:

IMO, I would paint them an OEM color. The blue with white letters makes them look almost fake. Like you wrote "NSX" on civic calipers.

Back