• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX HID fitments -- bi-Xenon availability ??

see HID discussion below (from a Benz press release). The new 02 HID setup on the NSX is low-beam only.

Is there an aftermarket NSX HID fitment that enables bi-xenon.

######################

source: new CLK presskit (March 2002)

The list of options includes even more powerful bi-xenon headlights, a technology lifted from the top-of-the-range S-Class, SL-Class and CL-Class models. Xenon headlamps are gas discharge lamps filled with the gas of the same name. Bi-xenon means that each xenon lamp is capable of providing both dipped beam and main beam. And whilst the entire luminous flux is available when main beam is on, switching to dipped beam causes a shutter to move between the lamp and the refractive optics, covering part of the pencil of light. One of the major benefits of xenon technology is its high light output: even at 35 watts, gas discharge lamps generate a luminous flux that is twice as intense as that provided by conventional H 7 headlamps.

Dynamic headlamp range adjusters, which adjust the inclination of the beam of light in line with the current position of the body and balance out brief periods of pitch during braking or acceleration, are also part of the bi-xenon package, as is a wash/wipe system with high-pressure water jet.

------------------
Manuel C
www.geocities.com/mcantoria/mc-toys.html

sig-front-top-100h.jpg
sig-left-front-100h.jpg
sig-rear-100h.jpg

No, but the high beam is largely determined by the optics of the projection housing. I don't see why an HID system couldn't be placed on the high beam. However, the way I understand that the MBZ system works, which enables quick firing of the bulb for instant projection, is that it always energizes the high-beam side. I don't think aftermarket HID systems do this. Any experts out there?

-- Chris

------------------
SoS_logo.gif

Originally posted by ScienceofSpeed:
I don't see why an HID system couldn't be placed on the high beam. ...
However, the way I understand that the MBZ system works, which enables quick firing of the bulb for instant projection, is that it always energizes the high-beam side.
I've seen some aftermarket H4 replacement HID systems that do this, but they keep the entire system energized, then "flip it up" (via a moving shutter/reflector) to get a high beam.

Design problem is that HID needs a finite warm-up time, which is too quick for "quick firing" (i.e., flash-to-pass) applications.

All I know is my H.I.D's in my new carbon fiber fixed buckets are cannons.They are instant ON but do intensify (get brighter) w/in 1-2 seconds.They turnon w/ the brightness of a low beam and quickly brighten and burn through any material in their path.The light they shed is a TRUE PURE white light.I am very impressed.
Brand name _RAYBRIG_
Supplied by "Science of Speed"

------------------

I sell these H4 Hi/Lo beam HID kits. How they work are they have a reflector that is on a pivot. Normally it is out of the way to enable normal beam projection. When you activate the high beam, the 12v+ normally destined for the high beam filiments are delivered to a small electromagent that pulls the reflector into position to redirect the light of the HID into the high beam pattern. Its kinda neet, but the only time i see people using it is to flash people flashing them cause the low beams are to bright, hahahaha....

Anywho, since we all run 9006/9005 combo's its not really going to do me any good. I just modified a 9006 kit to fit in the 9005 so i have Hi & Lo HID's.

-Ray

I have seen quite a few different after- market HID kits, mostly 9006s and some seem to be very touchy. I have seen a few bulbs just randomly blow out after a few minutes use (even though it went from the sealed container strait into a clean headlight housing) I think that maybe some of the cheaper kits might be hit and miss with quality...I got a set of Nokya HIDs from SPW and they work awesome better then a lot of my friends that have similar kits.....only cost me $340, I think they were worth it but you never know the next kit could be different. Hopefully the transition into my 2002 headlights will not be a problem...
Well just my $.2

Happy Racing

------------------
www.xldm.com

Back