• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX Manual Rack Repair

NSX Rack Repair - Manual Steering Rack Rebuild Review

Purchase:

Dealing with Matt and Charles is always a pleasurable experience. I honestly have nothing bad to say about buying ANYTHING from these guys, heck I have even sold stuff to them and every transaction is the smoothest and easiest thing this side of giving stuff away.

That said, the manual rack repair/rebuild isn’t a cheap affair, at almost the cost of a brand new manual rack it can seem like a large sum for repairing an existing rack.

I was honestly skeptical as to how much this would improve the already awesome steering that is present in the NSX, but Matt insisted that I try it and review it for the community. So here we are.

First Impression:

Upon receiving my rack, it looked just the same as it did when I sent it out, albeit a much cleaner version of the rack that I pulled from the car. There was zero discerning difference from OE which was to be expected as the repair/upgrade is all done internally just as with their power steering units. So not much to speak of in this section.

I called Matt to let him know that I received the package and he told me that my rack was “very worn” compared to the other manual racks he has repaired…which made sense considering that rack is the original one from my car with 125,000 miles and roughly 15,000 of those miles being track miles. I was just happy to get my car back on the road again and see if my initial skepticism was merited or if Matt and Charles could impress me the same way they did with their EPS rebuild.

Installation:

Please follow Honda/Acura’s installation instructions for putting the rack back into your NSX and torque all bolts to spec.

Installation of the manual rack is LIGHTYEARS easier and faster than the powersteering counterpart. That said, take your time and use the opportunity to replace any other worn parts of your steering system (inner/outer tie rods, rack bushings, ball joint boots) may as well since everything is out, you’re going to need an alignment anyway, and to get the maximum out of this service.

That being said, I had already “recently” replaced my steering components previously, didn’t see the need to replace them and didn’t want to replace them as it could affect my overall impression of the service I am supposed to be reviewing.

Driving Impression:

NSX Rack Repair’s service did something I didn’t think possible; Significantly improved feel and feedback the steering of the NSX

Since steering is such an important component to any car I wanted to break this section into two more detailed components;

Street Driving:

On the street this rack rebuild service can definitely be felt. The communication between the road and your fingertips is virtually instantaneous. Overall steering weight is improved as well with just slightly more “feeling” when you turn the wheel without being a nuisance when trying to find parking at your local Cars & Coffee.

While all of this may sound great; the street is where this service may split some people’s opinion. Southern California isn’t known for the world’s greatest roads (I’m pretty sure the richer villages in Africa have smoother trails than our highways and interstates) and that is where I feel this rebuild might have a drawback, I feel…every…imperfection in the road which can be an annoyance on longer trips (my drive from SoCal to San Francisco revealed this minor idiosyncrasy best). What can be a slight annoyance on the highway transforms into delight in the twisties where you really appreciate that extra feedback and road communication.

If I lived in a place that actually had decent roads I probably wouldn’t even mention this, but I unfortunately do not.

***Disclaimer*** I have a very aggressive alignment on my car, run SUPER stiff sidewall tires, aftermarket steering wheel, track oriented suspension, and full monoball top-hats so your experience may very likely differ.

Track Driving:

I waited to post this review until I had experienced the steering rack rebuild on the track. The wait was not in vain Matt and Charles really nailed how to make the NSX an even more potent machine. Every nuance between the tarmac and my low flying Japanese hunk of aluminum was transmitted almost simultaneously through to my fingertips.

The minimally increased steering effort on the street is a godsend when tossing the NSX into any turn at over 100 miles an hour. Zero wasted movement or delay between you and your intended direction for the NSX is reassurance that racing lines can be repeated with Hamilton-esque consistency.

In short, Matt and Charles of NSX Rack Repair have captured lightning in a bottle for a second time with their rack repair service for the manual rack equipped NSX crowd. If you live for those monthly spirited drives or you’re a track rat like me this rebuild service is a must for your NSX. If your NSX sees more time driving on the highway to the local meetups this service should still rank pretty high on your wish list.

I’m overall elated with the service and would recommend this to every NSX owner with any sort of mileage on their NSX.

With factory replacement parts for our cars becoming ever more scarce for our cars we all owe a debt to people like Matt and Charles for keeping our cars performing like or better than when they arrived from the land of the rising sun.

---Still having problems with image hosting, my apologies---

Well, I got my rack installed and wheel alignment a couple of days ago.

I haven't had a chance to push it since the weather has been wet and my tires are slicks in near freezing temps.

My initial thoughts are that this was more than a worthy investment.

Steering is more responsive and lighter.

More to come when the weather gets better.......

Back