• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX meets Enzo's little brother

Okay NSX owners ... don't get too excited now, but I wanted to share my most excellent adventure from last Monday while cruising around in my '91 NSX. A non-closed track, real world adventure... and the 1st one like this that I've had since buying my car about 1.5 years ago now.

I was cruising around the old $ section of Cincinnati known as Indian Hill when I came across a Ferrari Spyder. I believe it was a 360, not an F430, but it had a see-through rear mesh panel between the tail lights that I've never seen before. This panel was much bigger 'top-to-bottom' than the stock F430, so I was a bit confused by that. It did have a large prancing horse in the middle of the mesh and there was a see-through engine cover on the top of the rear deck as I could clearly see the engine lit up by the sun light while driving behind this car.

I decided to simply cruise behind the 2 guys in this car and enjoy the exhaust note, which was a beautiful thing. So this continued for 5+ minutes as he worked his way down to Loveland-Madiera Road heading North. I decided that I'd pick up I-275 to head back home, whether he went that way or not. To my delight, he decided to go the same way and so we sat at the traffic light waiting to head up the long ramp to the highway. It was at this time that he finally looked in the rear view mirror and motioned back to my car as he spoke to the passenger. Then he looked back and smiled. As soon as the light changed to green I heard him get deep into the throttle. I was already late responding, but gave it some revs and launched after him.

We went through the low gears, and he was well into 3rd as I was nearing the red line in 2nd. 2nd is soooo tall on the NSX. Anyway, soon I was into 3rd gear as we were screaming onto the highway. Since it was a holiday weekend and the Ohio State Highway Patrol loves to camp out in this area, he shut it down and slid in behind traffic flowing at legal speed before we got much above triple digits. This was smart as we passed 'rollers' within the next mile.

So I set the cruise at 72 and passed him before getting to my exit. He and the passenger were checking out the NSX as I came along side them, though the driver didn't have the same smile on his face I'd seen a minute before. I told him that his car sounded terrific and left him behind. From the looks I got from them, I really don't think they knew what I was driving.

The surprise to me was that he didn't leave me nor pull away as we went up the ramp. He had a bit of a head start, but I stayed close on his tail the whole time. Can he go faster in the long run ... I'm sure. Does his exhaust sound better than my stock unit ... yes. Can he shift a lot faster with his computer-controlled paddle shifters ... of course. But my pristine 17 year old NSX took the smile off his face and put it on mine ... and that my friends, was priceless.

So, a 6-banger isn't enough to qualify the NSX as a 'exotic'? That's just sour grapes from the makers of those who don't like the idea of a Japanese-made 'super-car'.

I just wanted to share this to emphasize how fun and rewarding it is to own an NSX. These truly are fabulous cars!

Attachments

• 1991NSX2.JPG
    1991NSX2.JPG
    60.1 KB · Views: 278
Last edited:
Blaine, First off Yes your car is the PERFECT EXAMPLE OF PRISTINE!

2nd, I love these stories, And I love the confused looks on peoples faces over these cars.. Good story! Keep driving that thing and let me know when you are ready for an exhaust!

Brian

Blaine, First off Yes your car is the PERFECT EXAMPLE OF PRISTINE!

2nd, I love these stories, And I love the confused looks on peoples faces over these cars.. Good story! Keep driving that thing and let me know when you are ready for an exhaust!

Brian

Hey Blaine! Loved your description of this drive, and your car. Take care.

Indian Hill has some great roads, ever better mansions, and the BEST cars in Ohio, if not the tri-state area.

Keep driving that thing and let me know when you are ready for an exhaust!

Brian

I'm really thinking that the ARK DT-X is the one. You have the DT-S right? I prefer the quad tips and like the sound of yours and what I've heard on scienceofspeed and searching youtube for the DT-X.

Blaine

Great story and get the GTLW.....:biggrin:

54465543.Ferrari360ChallengeStradale5.jpg

Is that the rear you saw? If so, you most likely had an encounter with a F360 Challenge Stradale :smile:

Last edited:
Great story and no wonder it made you smile, it made me smile too. :smile:

Imagine how your car stacks against the 348 which was launced at the same time as the NSX. Priceless.

Updated the link for you. It might come off again, I think the server uses some type of dynamic address or something :confused:

To be sure if it was the car, the rims are the easiest identifier.

I raced an enzo for about 45minutes last weekend. I'll post a pic later. I kept up....

and a McClaren F1 and Carrera GT.....seriously.

This was on the Street too.

Last edited:
driving home today I found the car sitting outside a local eatery. 'just' a regular 360 spyder. The rear valence is 'see-through', but hard to tell that from this angle.

Attachments

• 360v2.jpg
    360v2.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 56
driving home today I found the car sitting outside a local eatery. 'just' a regular 360 spyder. The rear valence is 'see-through', but hard to tell that from this angle.

Which local eatery?

TDF Blue 360 spyder with Challenge Grill. Easiest way to spot a 430 for me are the mirrors and the car does not have such a low stance and graceful lines like the 360.

IMG_6533.JPG

04.ferrari.challengestradale.tag.500.jpg

04.ferrari.challengestradale.rear.500.jpg

TDF Blue 360 spyder with Challenge Grill. QUOTE]

Thanks for the input. The grill really had me confused - but as stated in my original post, I could clearly see the engine lit up by the sun light while driving behind this car.

Yes, the mirrors let me know it wasn't a F430 ... but I still wasn't sure at the time...

Back