• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX Modulo suspension

I’ve been attempting to participate in this thread but cannot post photos or detailed replies.

I either get kicked or am shown a message that moderators must approve my post.

Anyway, beware using the R springs on any shock other than R. I believe the modulo and R shocks use the same housing. That housing has much higher perch points than standard NSX shocks that the bilsteins emulate, although I understand they have two perch points. You still are gambling with ride height because the perch points are so high on modulo and NSX R shocks with super short springs. You may inadvertently slam the car. I think the NSX R springs may work on revolved modulo shocks but at this point of going down the rabbit hole, I decided to go in another direction.

You can find me on IG wolf0fallstreets if you’d like to talk more about my adventure this week trying to install lowering springs on the modulo shocks. I went through months of mental masturbation and calculations on lowering spring rates to try to match close to the modulo shocks that I finally attempted a set that I thought would be close. Not until pulling the modulo off the car did we find that the perch points are so much higher on modulo than oem that virtually no other spring will work, except maybe R springs but rates don’t match.

Long story short, the car is getting KW installed and I will shelf or sell the modulo. Subsequently, I will also have some new old stock Dali Eibach springs for sale soon as well.

I found an old photo comparing R shocks to standard.

I have also managed to upload a photo of the modulo next to the lowering spring. Note the lengths and perch points.

This is how it sat on modulo. Sat super high at first but seemed to settle a bit. Still too high

I saw your messages in IG. From the above, it looks like you can post now- are you still getting hung up?

Hi Honcho,

it’s very strange. Half the time it posts immediately and the other half it says posts need admin approval. It seems to happen more often when I try to include a photo.

As an update I did have KW V3 installed. Picking up the car today. I’ll save the modulo since I don’t have an original 91 setup to go with the car at resale, but if anyone is interested I could be persuaded to sell the set.

I am so glad to now see all the wonderful reviews on the modulo after I sold mine :) .

Living in LA, I value to be able to get into steep ramps and driveway over looks. Maybe I am getting old. But, I agree, the front can be a tad lower. I always thought the rear needs to be taller than the front.

Johnny, are you in the Westcoast?

Hi yes, I’m in Vegas. It really is a nice suspension but it really seems to be targeted at the crowd that prefers a 100% stock car with an updated OEM suspension designed to take advantage of modern tire tech.

You can find some technical articles online in Japanese and run them through google translate if you want to learn more.

man, great to revisit this thread. I ended up putting about 4k miles on the modulo suspension. its a dream to drive. plenty sporty enough, and being able to adjust the dampers is very noticeable. The only thing is the ride height its simply too high for my liking. I just reinstalled my nsxr suspension for the summer. I might continue down the habit hole of potentially using lowering springs on the modulo and reinstalling in the future. its obvious that I could just buy a set of nice modern coilovers, but there's something alluring about oem design and engineering that makes me want to continue to mess with these.92EC5F7F-DB0A-48B4-95A1-7EF025814BCD_1_201_a.jpg

simonasaur said:
man, great to revisit this thread. I ended up putting about 4k miles on the modulo suspension. its a dream to drive. plenty sporty enough, and being able to adjust the dampers is very noticeable. The only thing is the ride height its simply too high for my liking. I just reinstalled my nsxr suspension for the summer. I might continue down the habit hole of potentially using lowering springs on the modulo and reinstalling in the future. its obvious that I could just buy a set of nice modern coilovers, but there's something alluring about oem design and engineering that makes me want to continue to mess with these.

I just watched the CarPrime video with Dori Dori, Aguri Suzuki and Seiko Fukoda where they compare the NA2 Type-S to a 2020 or 21 NC1. The Type-S they used is the Modulo press car from Honda's fleet. Turns out Mr. Fukoda is in charge of Modulo and gave a very informative explanation of how they developed the suspension for the Modulo. Based on their circuit testing, the softer springs and damping were just as fast when fitted to a NA2 NSX-R as the original hard suspension. Tsuchiya complained that his NSX-R suspension was "too goddam stiff" to drive on the street. Fukoda agreed and said that the point of the Modulo was to provide "luxurious" street behavior while preserving the performance of the R. So, you have the most highly developed factory suspension for the NSX that was ever made. That's really cool!

C997A84E-D067-46CA-89EB-06AB11A4FD24.jpg

I’m glad you’re enjoying the modulo and I agree it is something special. I intend to keep mine, and it’s still in the box in my garage. In the meantime, the look as feel of the KW V3 is more to my taste. I’ll hold on to modulo for collectibility’s sake.

Back