• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX Officially Dead

Reuters / July 12, 2005

TOKYO -- Honda Motor Co. said on Tuesday it would stop making the NSX model, putting to rest its priciest product, which in 1990 became the first Japanese production car that could be compared with high-end German and Italian sports cars.

Japan's third-biggest automaker, which initially launched the NSX to showcase its racing technology, said it was developing a new sports car that would, unlike the NSX, meet stricter U.S. and European emissions regulations to be introduced next year.

A spokesman declined to provide further information on the next sports car, including when production would start.

The hand-made, all-aluminium NSX has sold about 18,500 units since its debut 15 years ago, and it is Honda's highest-priced model, ranging between 9.66 million and 13.55 million yen ($86,500-$121,300).

After peaking at 8,422 units in 1991, sales of the NSX, sold under the Acura premium brand in North America, have steadily declined, totalling just 235 units last year.

Honda said it would halt production of Europe-bound NSX cars in September, and of those bound for Japan and North America in December.

The NSX is built at Honda's domestic Suzuka factory, which also makes the S2000 compact sports car and Insight hybrid model.

Good morning!

That's what I really like: Posting "news" from over a week ago before making a search on this forum if this topic had already been covered with some some hundred posts here .

BTW: What really surprises (and somehow amazes) me is that there is someone who really thinks that an extremely important news for the NSX community hasn't spread here in some seconds after it was published - if not here, where else?

Last edited:
LOL!! Makes me feel old!!! You were probably not even a gleam in your mother's eye when they were around were you?? I'm getting too old for this board. Time to go join TownCar Prime!!!!!!! :biggrin:

Re: Good morning!

NSX-Racer said:
That's what I really like: Posting "news" from over a week ago before making a search on this forum if this topic had already been covered with some some hundred posts here .

BTW: What really surprises (and somehow amazes) me is that there is someone who really thinks that an extremely important news for the NSX community hasn't spread here in some seconds after it was published - if not here, where else?

What amazes me is that some people don't have anything better to worry about.....

According to Autoweek a big reason for the demise of the NSX was the new emission requirments for 2006. It wasn't worth the expense. Does anyone know if this is true and what the new emission requirements are?

Back