• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX oil filter?

Originally posted by bartonkt:
From what I know, the sizes are different and therefor not interchangeable...

Anyone else wanna back me up on this?

I use an oil filter off of a 3.2 Legend engine, every time I change mine. All honda/acura V6 oil filters do work, however.

I even think it has the same partnumber on the legend.........
I always go for genuine Honda, they are so cheap....

I read somewhere about some kind of special "baffle" in the filter? I would only use NSX specific filters.

------------------
Richard
NSXTASY

It was the same size as one of the Legend models. Then they reduced the size of the Legend model (different part number). Just get the one that's made for the NSX. They're not that expensive, and this is not the place to try to save money.

Mark B. would know for sure, but my understanding is that the NSX filter uses a pressure relief valve designed for it's oil pressure level. Keep in mind that we run a bit more oil pressure than many other cars. A filter with the wrong setting on the valve is likely to bypass a lot of oil and, in some cases, may not filter any of it.

It's the same oil filter as they used to use on the Legend. I would like to know how everyone gets their oil filter off since we all know the brake line and some sort of aluminum suspension part is right below the filter making it difficult to remove. The owner's manual says there is a special tool you can use. Is this tool just an oil filter cap that fits exactly over the filter? I bought an oil filter cap but it is still difficult to remove because the top of the cap where you put your 3/8" ratchet wrench or extension is real close to the brake line. Anyone have an easier way of removing the oil filter?

------------------
'00 NSX-T, silverstone/blk, #252

Originally posted by CChung:
I would like to know how everyone gets their oil filter off since we all know the brake line and some sort of aluminum suspension part is right below the filter making it difficult to remove.

I didn't notice it was hard to remove at all (???), the best tool i have used on the NSX to get the filter of was this (sorry for bad explanation) metal handle with a adjustable chain (as in 'bike' chain), which tightens more if you put more force on it. It leaves marks on the filter, but it's getting binned anyway.
Putting new one on, only with hands (firm though).

Regarding this topic question, i've noticed that a lot of NSX'ers in the US are looking at other oilfilters than the genuine Honda filter. Why is that? The original filter is probably one of the cheapest parts for the NSX.

Dutchy

The NSX oil filter is part #15400-PL2-004.

Others will fit but they are not the correct part.

[This message has been edited by Lud (edited 05 August 2001).]

Originally posted by CChung:
.... I would like to know how everyone gets their oil filter off since we all know the brake line and some sort of aluminum suspension part is right below the filter making it difficult to remove. The owner's manual says there is a special tool you can use. ...

I usually just unbolt the cable mount for the brake line and that makes it ten times easier. As for a wrench to remove the filter, I use one of those spring tensioned removers that attaches to a 3/8 in rachet and have no problem. When I put on a new filter I only hand tighten it but it is always harder to remove due to the heat that passes through it causeing expansion.

OK, I've got to clarify this. You guys are making me look cheap-ass NSX owner now. The reason I asked is not because I want to save a few bucks on the oil filter. I'm looking for an adaptor(oil filter relocator) to fit a oil cooler to. No one makes a NSX specific one, therefore I was jsut wondering about interchangeability with other Hondas, especially the very popular B-series engines.

------------------
George Wang
Keep it Real!
http://www.geocities.com/maomaonsx/price.html

Back