• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX prices falling???

Originally posted by huckster:
Well, i guess i did my part to help hold the value of nsx's.

91 black with 16,500 miles----36,500$

We paid $37,900 for our clean 91 with 8800 miles four years ago. Based on this data point and others I have gathered, clean low-mileage 91's have held steady over the last four years.

Bob

thanks, bob. those were my findings too, researching over the past four months.

i am aware of one 91 that went for 35500 with 8k on it, but the dealer was, frankly, a little anxious to move it. wish id caught that one a little earlier.

then again, i saw several 91-92s moving for 35-38 with 30k-45k mileage.

i would like to know, at what mileage point is there a dramatic drop in value(or biggest drop)--assuming still good condition.

anyone???

Originally posted by huckster:
i would like to know, at what mileage point is there a dramatic drop in value(or biggest drop)--assuming still good condition. anyone???

The biggest drop is when the mileage is extremely low. I've know a couple of '91's with under 10K miles that sold for just over $40K. I would guess that a clean, well-kept '91 would typically sell for the following prices:

0-10K $38-41K
10-25K $36-39K
25-40K $34-37K
40-75K $32-35K
75-100K $30-33K
100K+ $25-31K

And there's no "magic number" that drops the value when you hit that number. For example a car with 11K miles isn't worth thousands of dollars less than a car with 9K miles.

All just my guesses, feel free to disagree.

That's pretty accurate Ken then you see a halfway decent one on Ebay with 84,000 miles and the resere is met at $23,000 I dont get it.

Steven 91 Blk/Ivory

Originally posted by Steven Spanbauer:
That's pretty accurate Ken then you see a halfway decent one on Ebay with 84,000 miles and the resere is met at $23,000 I dont get it.

eBay is a strange place. Sometimes its prices are out of kilter with the market - higher OR lower. Often the condition of an item is severely misrepresented (whether intentionally or due to a difference of opinion).

I should also add that even on eBay, it's pretty unusual for a car to be sold (with a reserve price met) at a price that's substantially lower than the market. It's much more common that a car goes unsold (bid at a market price but not meeting the reserve price) because the owner's opinion of the value of his car is higher than the market will bear. I have not seen many instances such as the one you cite. It's possible that the seller was not familiar with market values. More likely, it was not halfway decent at all. I think Lud hit the nail on the head when he said, "Every NSX I've actually seen in person which sold for a really good price was sold at that price for a reason."

[This message has been edited by nsxtasy (edited 24 February 2002).]

Ken, your pricing chart seems to be very accurate.

But, your optimism for the remaining NSX population is wrong.
biggrin.gif

Good. That means, as long as I keep mine in perfect condition, it should become rarer and retain its market value.
biggrin.gif

What do you think the current market value of a 99 with 13k miles is? Assume its an unmolested original car!

Input data:

1. Average asking price of the 14 cars listed on AutoTrader is $65799.

2. Leftover '01's were recently selling for low seventies.

3. 13K is average miles.

4. We'll assume the car is stock (no mods), six-speed, NSX-T, no damage, clean title.

I would guess a fair selling price at retail would be somewhere in the $60-63K range.

If I were an educated buyer looking for a 91, I would be looking at some other things as well. I agree with NSXTASY's prices on the early models. However, I would pay more or less, in addition to miles and condition for the following:

1. Maintenance- Timing Belt/Water Pump is an expensive maint. cost and should have been done.

2. Clutch- When was it replaced/how many miles. Another 2K plus cost.

3. Other wear parts- tires and brakes (a bonus if in good shape)

You might be thinking you're sly by getting a 91 w/ decent miles and good condition for only 30K. I would rather pay 32-33K and know that all maintenance has been done, clutch and tires are in good shape.
I would personally never sell my 92 for any less than 33K- all maint. done as above.

Mods may add some more value for some.

The prices above assume everything's in good shape and all maintenance has been done on schedule.

There are lots of adjustments that you need to make from the estimates quoted above. Ilya is correct; the TB/WP should have been done on any '91, and that alone should give you a $1200 deduction from the prices quoted above. Same for tires; depending on wear, you may deduct $600-800 for worn tires. Mods may add OR subtract from the estimated prices, depending on how desirable they are. And deduct $2-3K from the above prices for an automatic transmission.

I'm not sure what you can do about adjusting the price for the clutch though. As we know, clutch life varies, typically anywhere from 30K to 90K miles. If the clutch has 30K miles on it, it might be ready to go, or it might have a lot of life left; there's no way to know without opening it up (unless it's already starting to slip).

Back